News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,718 )

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »
Quote from: flannj on September 27, 2010, 02:29:28 PM
When you say willing scalpers market do you mean active buyers and sellers?
I'm pretty sure the scalpers ate a lot of tickets this year. At least the ones that I have spoken to considered it the worst year in a long time and unless the team improves they don't see that market improving.
It was pretty apparent to me even before the All Star break when I couldn't even give several games away. And those were games that in the past people would have paid up for.

Although the Cubs have used the excuse of a strong secondary market to justify price increases in the past, any statement they make along those lines in the current market is a bold faced lie.

Yes, scalpers (while perhaps less than this season) will be a big part of those buyers.  Instead of the scalpers market being "insane", next season it might be only "very strong" instead.  There will still be a large number of tickets being purchased speculatively because preseason demand will justify it.

As long as this team keeps drawing 3M fans and staying north of 90% capacity, they can keep increasing the prices assuming the overall demand is there.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on September 27, 2010, 03:15:46 PM
Quote from: flannj on September 27, 2010, 02:29:28 PM
When you say willing scalpers market do you mean active buyers and sellers?
I'm pretty sure the scalpers ate a lot of tickets this year. At least the ones that I have spoken to considered it the worst year in a long time and unless the team improves they don't see that market improving.
It was pretty apparent to me even before the All Star break when I couldn't even give several games away. And those were games that in the past people would have paid up for.

Although the Cubs have used the excuse of a strong secondary market to justify price increases in the past, any statement they make along those lines in the current market is a bold faced lie.

Yes, scalpers (while perhaps less than this season) will be a big part of those buyers.  Instead of the scalpers market being "insane", next season it might be only "very strong" instead.  There will still be a large number of tickets being purchased speculatively because preseason demand will justify it.

As long as this team keeps drawing 3M fans and staying north of 90% capacity, they can keep increasing the prices.   

The scalpers market is not "very strong". It sucks right now and looks like it will continue that way until the product and economy improve.
The Cubs may sell 3M tickets but the resellers market is horrible.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on September 27, 2010, 01:57:18 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 27, 2010, 01:11:03 PM
Tom Ricketts has great news for you:

- Higher ticket prices!
- A smaller payroll!
- No friggin' idea about the managerial search timeline!

QuoteFor the season, the Cubs drew 3,062,973 fans to Wrigley Field, their smallest total since 2003. But, especially for the last month, there were stretches of empty seats even though the tickets were already counted as being sold. Unlike in past seasons, the bleachers were more empty than full at several night games.

"That's not really true," Ricketts said. "You go back and look at the data. There have been some soft night games in the bleachers in the last few years. The key to filling the park is to put a great product on the field."

Rumors persist the Cubs will raise ticket prices for some dates and categories next year.

"Attendance is down a few percentage points from last year," Ricketts said. "But in terms of ticket pricing for next year, we haven't made any final decisions. What we are doing is a really thorough study of what we're charging for which sections, trying to really understand the value proposition that we're offering people.

"We'll do that study, and we'll come up with a ticket-pricing strategy, keeping in mind that there's a tough economy. And it's ultimately our goal to get more fans in the park."

Among other topics discussed by Ricketts:

On the $145 million payroll: "We haven't made any decisions where payroll goes next year. But I think it will be slightly lower than this year."

On the managerial search ending before the World Series: "We don't really have a time frame on that. It's always good, if you have your decision made, you'd rather do it sooner rather than later so he can start working. But there's no reason to rush it."

On the five-week managing job of Mike Quade: "I don't think there's any doubt that Mike's done a nice job. Obviously, the team has played very well the last few weeks, and that's been encouraging."

They can't talk seriously to Girardi (face-to-face) until after the Yankees are done.  I also think they might want to kick the tires on Joe Maddon, although I have to believe he could be the most expensive guy on the list.  So I can see the rationale in that particular part of his answer.

In a vacuum, the price increase would be ridiculous.  But when you have 9 figures worth of debt service to pay back, and a willing scalpers market...I assume they'll increase ticket prices 3-5%.

These fuckers need to fire the GM already.  That's all I know.

Don't know how willing that scalpers' market is. You could buy $9 tickets on Stubhub for the Cardinals game on Friday.

I'm going to guess you see the Cubs make a strong push for partial season ticket plans and tiering the hell out of the single-game prices based on who the visiting team is.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2010, 11:36:21 PM »

I'm guessing they start clamping down on people bringing in vittles in order to drive their concession sales.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2010, 01:38:27 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 27, 2010, 11:36:21 PM

I'm guessing they start clamping down on people bringing in vittles in order to drive their concession sales.

Giants suck.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2010, 01:38:27 AM

Giants suck.

I'm hoping this finally ends the Coughlin Era. Of course, last time they sucked this early and I thought Coughlin was on borrowed time, they fucked it all up by winning the Super Bowl.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 28, 2010, 07:33:17 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2010, 01:38:27 AM

Giants suck.

I'm hoping this finally ends the Coughlin Era. Of course, last time they sucked this early and I thought Coughlin was on borrowed time, they fucked it all up by winning the Super Bowl.

But alas, we're all a few years older, our beards are little grayer and Eli is no less ghey than he was then.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on September 27, 2010, 04:21:09 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on September 27, 2010, 01:57:18 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 27, 2010, 01:11:03 PM
Tom Ricketts has great news for you:

- Higher ticket prices!
- A smaller payroll!
- No friggin' idea about the managerial search timeline!

QuoteFor the season, the Cubs drew 3,062,973 fans to Wrigley Field, their smallest total since 2003. But, especially for the last month, there were stretches of empty seats even though the tickets were already counted as being sold. Unlike in past seasons, the bleachers were more empty than full at several night games.

"That's not really true," Ricketts said. "You go back and look at the data. There have been some soft night games in the bleachers in the last few years. The key to filling the park is to put a great product on the field."

Rumors persist the Cubs will raise ticket prices for some dates and categories next year.

"Attendance is down a few percentage points from last year," Ricketts said. "But in terms of ticket pricing for next year, we haven't made any final decisions. What we are doing is a really thorough study of what we're charging for which sections, trying to really understand the value proposition that we're offering people.

"We'll do that study, and we'll come up with a ticket-pricing strategy, keeping in mind that there's a tough economy. And it's ultimately our goal to get more fans in the park."

Among other topics discussed by Ricketts:

On the $145 million payroll: "We haven't made any decisions where payroll goes next year. But I think it will be slightly lower than this year."

On the managerial search ending before the World Series: "We don't really have a time frame on that. It's always good, if you have your decision made, you'd rather do it sooner rather than later so he can start working. But there's no reason to rush it."

On the five-week managing job of Mike Quade: "I don't think there's any doubt that Mike's done a nice job. Obviously, the team has played very well the last few weeks, and that's been encouraging."

They can't talk seriously to Girardi (face-to-face) until after the Yankees are done.  I also think they might want to kick the tires on Joe Maddon, although I have to believe he could be the most expensive guy on the list.  So I can see the rationale in that particular part of his answer.

In a vacuum, the price increase would be ridiculous.  But when you have 9 figures worth of debt service to pay back, and a willing scalpers market...I assume they'll increase ticket prices 3-5%.

These fuckers need to fire the GM already.  That's all I know.

Don't know how willing that scalpers' market is. You could buy $9 tickets on Stubhub for the Cardinals game on Friday.

I'm going to guess you see the Cubs make a strong push for partial season ticket plans and tiering the hell out of the single-game prices based on who the visiting team is.

The reason there were $9 tickets is precisely because the scalpers market this season WAS strong (as far as scalpers buying from the Cubs, which is the matter on the table).  The scalpers get these tickets for weekend games as soon as tickets go on sale, or they buy season ticket packages or large portions from people who don't want 81 games.   The "market" is largely set in March..it's not set in September.  The fact someone could get a $9 ticket last weekend because the scalpers overvalued the tickets in March isn't bothering the Cubs bottom line.  

I am sure this season's result will set demand back somewhat next March.  But we also don't know what the team will look like...who will be managing...and I imagine the Yankees series alone will compel scalpers to mantain their season ticket options.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »
Shouldn't these assholes be paying for this themselves?

November 11, 2010
Dear Season Ticket Holder,

When my family and I took ownership of the Chicago Cubs just about one year ago, we committed to being good neighbors and to preserving Wrigley Field. We're excited to tell you today about an opportunity to achieve both.

As the third largest tourist attraction in Illinois, the Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field account for more than $600 million annually in impact to the local economy, including almost $400 million in annual new spending - spending which would not take place but for the team and the ballpark. This spending supports more than 7,000 jobs and generates more than $230 million in annual personal earnings. The Cubs and Wrigley Field also generate nearly $60 million in tax collections each year.

For many years, Wrigley Field has required millions of dollars in annual maintenance and, partly as a result, the team-owned campus around the ballpark has remained largely undeveloped. The Wrigley Field campus development, the centerpiece of our future, has been on hold for nearly a decade.

In the next few weeks the Illinois General Assembly will consider a bill to preserve Wrigley Field. Simply put, the plan allows a portion of future City and County amusement taxes, the 12% currently added to each ticket price, to be invested directly in the preservation of the Friendly Confines.

The plan is fair, simple and focused. Most importantly, it will not increase taxes you currently pay and will not create any new taxes.

This plan will preserve the historic character and tradition of the Friendly Confines for the next generation and will enhance the Lakeview community. If approved, the Cubs will undertake more than $200 million in renovations during the next five years and, in addition, the Ricketts family will invest a comparable amount in neighborhood development. The team will commit to play in Wrigley Field over the long run and to remain in the field during construction so, in this difficult economy, local businesses will continue to enjoy revenues the Cubs help attract.

We understand the importance of community and fan participation in this process. Wrigley Field renovation designs are being developed and we look forward to input on our surveys, discussions in forums and other communications we will send to you int eh weeks and months ahead.

We have an opportunity in this upcoming legislative session to begin the process of renovating and restoring Wrigley Field and securing its continued future. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and hope you, like me, see this as a fair and straightforward way to accomplish our mutual goals. If you would like to support our legislative proposal in the fall session, please contact us at renovatewrigley@cubs.com.

Sincerely,

Tom Ricketts
Executive Chairman

And yes, it is misspelled int eh

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 11, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Why pay for it yourself if you can get your neighbors to pay for it?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 11, 2010, 01:26:10 PM
Quote from: flannj on November 11, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Why pay for it yourself if you can get your neighbors to pay for it?

So I take it the Ricketts family has read the McCaskey / Halas handbook?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »
BORING.

Win some fucking games. They've got their finger on the pulse of most retarded type of Cub fan.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 11, 2010, 01:18:12 PMIf approved, the Cubs will undertake more than $200 million in renovations during the next five years and, in addition, the Ricketts family will invest a comparable amount in neighborhood development.

That's an impressively nondescript statement. You could say that $200 is comparable to $200 million if you ignore a few pesky zeroes.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2010, 01:48:58 PM »
November 11, 2010
Dear Season Ticket Holder Sucker,

When my dad sold a zillion shares of TD Waterhouse, his life's work, so my family and I took ownership of grossly overpaid for the Chicago Cubs just about one year ago, we committed to being good neighbors and to moved to get at the depleted state treasury for own personal gain under the guise of preserving Wrigley Field. We're excited to tell you today about an opportunity to achieve both.

As the third largest tourist attraction in Illinois, the Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field account for more than $600 million annually in impact to the local economy, including almost $400 million in annual new spending - spending which would not take place but for the team and the ballpark. This is obvious as there is nothing else for people to do in this town, and if there were a baseball park in Schaumburg housing the Cubs, no one would go there. And if people didn't want to go watch the Cubs in Schaumburg , they would obviously not spend money anywhere to be entertained. This spending supports more than 7,000 jobs and generates more than $230 million in annual personal earnings. The Cubs and Wrigley Field also generate nearly $60 million in tax collections each year not to mention the millions it contributes to the need for more infrastructure and police and emergency resources 81 days a year.

For many years, Wrigley Field has required millions of dollars in annual maintenance and, partly as a result (the other result being that any cash flows developing the campus would generate would not justify developing it as I'm sure there a bankers out there who would be interested in helping us finance such development, but again I digress), the team-owned campus around the ballpark has remained largely undeveloped. The Wrigley Field campus development, the centerpiece of our future, has been on hold for nearly a decade. As a result, the neighborhood is in economic Hell.

In the next few weeks the Illinois General Assembly will consider a bill to preserve Wrigley Field. Simply put, it would be like the General Assembly seeing all the spending you do in your neighborhood and then deciding that a portion of the taxes others pay (as your spending generates economic activity) go to you so you could put a 1,500-sq. foot addition to your house with some nice furnishings. They wouldn't do that for you, would they? Well, you haven't won a World Series in the past 103 years like we have. Anyway, the plan allows a portion of future City and County amusement taxes, the 12% currently added to each ticket price, to be invested directly in the preservation of the Friendly Confines.

The plan is fair, simple and focused at least in comparison to the bizarro Blago-Zell deal that they were trying to work out before Blago got arrested. Most importantly, it will not increase taxes you currently pay and will not create any new taxes put more money in our pocket so we can buy remaining hot dogs out of our hot dog boxes should any of us ever appear again on
Undercover Boss[/b].

Continued...

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
DPD...

This plan will preserve the historic character and tradition of the Friendly Confines for the next generation and will enhance the Lakeview community. If approved, the Cubs will undertake more than $200 million in renovations during the next five years and, in addition, the Ricketts family will invest a comparable amount (comparable in the same way one might say Ernie Banks and Neifi Perez were comaprable because they both used to play shortstop for the Cubs) in neighborhood development. The team will commit to play in Wrigley Field over the long run as we wouldn't want our big investments in the bathrooms to go to waste and to remain in the field during construction so, in this difficult economy, local businesses will continue to enjoy revenues the Cubs help attract we wouldn't have to worry about luring you to see us play at the Cell or Miller Park. Our owner's suites will be fine -- you'll be inconvenienced by all kinds of construction, but I'm sure you'll happily pay inflated prices for tickets and parking during this time.

We understand the importance of community and fan participation in this process. If you make your amateur state reps who are already scared of Michael Madigan also scared of you, we'll get this passed. We'll be bribing the shit out of Madigan in no time. Wrigley Field renovation designs are being developed and we look forward to input on our surveys, discussions in forums and other communications we will send to you int eh weeks and months ahead. We most of all look forward to the input of your tax money.

We have an opportunity in this upcoming legislative session to begin the process of renovating and restoring Wrigley Field and securing its continued future enriching ourselves. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and hope you, like me, see this as a fair and straightforward way to accomplish our mutual goals. If you would like to support our legislative proposal in the fall session, please contact us at renovatewrigley@cubs.com.

Sincerely,

Tom Ricketts
Executive Chairman[/i]