News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,719 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:35 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2010, 11:13:05 AM
You guys talking about moving the Cubs to the suburbs should be shot in the face with a ball of your own shit. Even if you're joking, I don't care.

Apex' conversion to metrosnobbery is now complete.  Go sit next to RV and Oleg.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2010, 11:16:09 AM
Quote from: Brownie on November 12, 2010, 11:14:23 AM
You guys talking about moving the Cubs to the suburbs should be shot in the face with a ball of your own shit. Even if you're joking, I don't care.

I don't care where they move. They just better not go or stay anywhere on my dime.

Or what?

Or there are going to be some politicians who get primary challenges.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 12, 2010, 11:18:35 AM

Thank you for your validation. *Tips Hawks Cap*
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 12, 2010, 11:22:49 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2010, 11:16:09 AM

I don't care where they move. They just better not go or stay anywhere on my dime.

Or what?

Or there are going to be some politicians who get primary challenges.

Oh, noes.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2010, 11:29:12 AM »

I actually wouldn't give two shits if they tore down Wrigley. It's not like there's a history of winning baseball there or something.

I mean, they tore down Yankee Stadium, for fucks sake.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »

I'm not a fan of Wrigley being fixed up on the gubment dime, either. I was offering justification.

They bought a decrepit ballpark, and since they're true fans who GET IT, they knew it was a festering rathole when they bought it.

Besides, if they either a) leave Wrigley in it's deteriorating state, or b) build a new park elsewhere, they lose having Wrigley Field as its own revenue generator (people going to Wrigley to go to Wrigley).  

Not to mention, given the current climate vis-a-vis gubment spending, there are certainly better PR moves they can make.

Best thing they can do is shut the fuck up, pay for the capital improvements (which means no payments to revenue sharing), and profit.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 12, 2010, 11:29:12 AM

I actually wouldn't give two shits if they tore down Wrigley. It's not like there's a history of winning baseball there or something.

I think they should tear it down and rebuild it, leaving only the scoreboard intact. But moving it out of town is not an option. People will not travel from around the midwest or the nation at large to visit Glen or whatever the fuck. They might do it once, say, "Meh." and never ever come back. Which might not bother the white people in the northern suburbs but th team will miss that revenue and the entire brand will be shot. The Cubs would become the Brewers. I'd probably become a Sox fan.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2010, 11:43:49 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 12, 2010, 11:02:29 AM
There's some empty land in the Glen.  Build Wrigley II there and maybe the rest of the shops in the strip center here will get leased.  Tax revenues will increase!

But, then the restaurants and shops in Lakeview will see their revenue drop.  And their taxes as well.  So, it nets out?  Shit.

Fucking zero sum games!

I'm not sure that the drop in Lakeview would equal the pop in Glennview (which is the Ricketts real problem).  Wrigelyville is pretty self sustaining without Wrigley at this point.  Their better argument is that the City and State are taxing my patrons, using the proceeds to fund my competitors, but not allowing the Cubs to do the same.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2010, 11:37:26 AM

I think they should tear it down and rebuild it, leaving only the scoreboard intact. But moving it out of town is not an option. People will not travel from around the midwest or the nation at large to visit Glen or whatever the fuck. They might do it once, say, "Meh." and never ever come back. Which might not bother the white people in the northern suburbs but th team will miss that revenue and the entire brand will be shot. The Cubs would become the Brewers. I'd probably become a Sox fan.

OH NO CAN'T ALIENATE THE OUT OF TOWNERS!

On Boers and Bernstein, someone brought up "Tax Payers against Earmarks" -- http://endingspending.com/

from that website:

QuoteTaxpayers Against Earmarks, Inc. ("TAE") is a nonpartisan organization dedicated to educating and engaging American taxpayers about wasteful government spending and the misguided practice of earmarks. In this troubled economy, the time is now to regain control of federal government spending, balance the budget, pay down the national debt, and restore fiscal responsibility in Washington, D.C. We believe our elected representatives must end the practice of mortgaging the economic futures of our children and grandchildren to pay for present-day wasteful government spending.

Information is the best tool we have to combat these problems and hold politicians accountable for the policies that impact the financial health of our families and that are bankrupting America. As an initial step, TAE and its community of concerned citizens will work everyday to expose the corrupting and wasteful practice of earmarks. We will use a variety of programs to expose and shame all those who receive, request, sponsor, and advocate for earmarks. We will provide the American taxpayers with information so that they can make sure that Representatives and Senators do not claim to favor fiscal discipline while at the same time requesting earmarks.

Out-of-control government spending is a bipartisan problem with bipartisan origins. While TAE's individual supporters may be Democrats, Republicans, or Independents, TAE is nonpartisan. Its mission is to end wasteful government spending and eliminate the corrupting practice of earmarks. TAE will work to build broad coalitions on this issue so that we can end the broken earmarking system and stop the misue of taxpayer dollars.

TAE is organized as a nonpartisan corporation and has filed its application for tax exempt status under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions to Taxpayers Against Earmarks, Inc. are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

The Chairman of Taxpayers against Earmarks is Joe Ricketts.  Papa Ricketts.  Is this irony?  I honestly don't know.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on November 12, 2010, 11:45:35 AM

OH NO CAN'T ALIENATE THE OUT OF TOWNERS!

On Boers and Bernstein, someone brought up "Tax Payers against Earmarks" -- http://endingspending.com/

from that website:

QuoteTaxpayers Against Earmarks, Inc. ("TAE") is a nonpartisan organization dedicated to educating and engaging American taxpayers about wasteful government spending and the misguided practice of earmarks. In this troubled economy, the time is now to regain control of federal government spending, balance the budget, pay down the national debt, and restore fiscal responsibility in Washington, D.C. We believe our elected representatives must end the practice of mortgaging the economic futures of our children and grandchildren to pay for present-day wasteful government spending.

Information is the best tool we have to combat these problems and hold politicians accountable for the policies that impact the financial health of our families and that are bankrupting America. As an initial step, TAE and its community of concerned citizens will work everyday to expose the corrupting and wasteful practice of earmarks. We will use a variety of programs to expose and shame all those who receive, request, sponsor, and advocate for earmarks. We will provide the American taxpayers with information so that they can make sure that Representatives and Senators do not claim to favor fiscal discipline while at the same time requesting earmarks.

Out-of-control government spending is a bipartisan problem with bipartisan origins. While TAE's individual supporters may be Democrats, Republicans, or Independents, TAE is nonpartisan. Its mission is to end wasteful government spending and eliminate the corrupting practice of earmarks. TAE will work to build broad coalitions on this issue so that we can end the broken earmarking system and stop the misue of taxpayer dollars.

TAE is organized as a nonpartisan corporation and has filed its application for tax exempt status under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions to Taxpayers Against Earmarks, Inc. are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

The Chairman of Taxpayers against Earmarks is Joe Ricketts.  Papa Ricketts.  Is this irony?  I honestly don't know.

I'm gonna go ahead and approve this as irony.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »
I think they should tear it down and rebuild it, leaving only the scoreboard intact. But moving it out of town is not an option. People will not travel from around the midwest or the nation at large to visit Glen or whatever the fuck.

The Glen is like a little piece of Scottsdale plunked down in the north suburbs.

Without the awesome Taco Bell.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

There's only room for two people on the hobo seat. Whose lap would Oleg sit on?

And who is going to get primaried? Mike Madigan? That would be funny.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
Granted I'm just a simple caveman who fondly remembers Illinois politics benefiting my team, but I don't really see the issue with them asking for some dough.  The timing of said request, however, is curious. 

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/02/sports/white-sox-are-safe-at-home.html

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 12, 2010, 12:31:00 PM

There's only room for two people on the hobo seat. Whose lap would Oleg sit on?

And who is going to get primaried? Mike Madigan? That would be funny.

I'm moderately offended that I'm not lumped into the metrosnobbery club.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »
How bad can this plan be? Phil Rogers supports it!