News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,831 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #480 on: September 20, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 20, 2012, 08:58:07 AM
Most Catholics use birth control. Vatican II basically said "decide for yourself" in terms of using it, but the Catholic Church with a capital C still balks at paying for it, and I  personally don't think they should have to. People who want to work for the Catholic Church in any format should accept that there are some ground rules. There are other hospitals and groups you can work for otherwise. If people still want to work for Catholic hospitals and organizations because they pay better or whatever the reason is, I think you can probably accept the burden of paying for your own birth control. I think the biggest issue is that the Catholic Church, probably because of its long history, looks bigger (and paranoid-er) picture and thinks this is a slippery slope to the government slowly chipping away at organized religion.

Nobody's asking the Church to pay for anything. Insurance pays for it. The Church merely has to provide the option.

Besides, considering how much organized religion chips away at the Government (while enjoying representation without taxation) I'm not sure they're in a position to complain.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: September 20, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 20, 2012, 09:21:36 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 20, 2012, 08:58:07 AM
Most Catholics use birth control. Vatican II basically said "decide for yourself" in terms of using it, but the Catholic Church with a capital C still balks at paying for it, and I  personally don't think they should have to. People who want to work for the Catholic Church in any format should accept that there are some ground rules. There are other hospitals and groups you can work for otherwise. If people still want to work for Catholic hospitals and organizations because they pay better or whatever the reason is, I think you can probably accept the burden of paying for your own birth control. I think the biggest issue is that the Catholic Church, probably because of its long history, looks bigger (and paranoid-er) picture and thinks this is a slippery slope to the government slowly chipping away at organized religion.

Nobody's asking the Church to pay for anything. Insurance pays for it. The Church merely has to provide the option.

Besides, considering how much organized religion chips away at the Government (while enjoying representation without taxation) I'm not sure they're in a position to complain.

So they don't have to pay the insurance company anything more for more comprehensive plans to provide for their employees? Is that how that works? Interesting.

Also, what do you mean "the way organized religion chips away at government" ? I can't remember the last time the Church had the ability to tell the government what to do and force them to comply. Also, religions don't have to pay taxes so therefore they owe the government and should just do what they're told? I don't think the tax free status was instituted in order to ensure More cooperation between church and state.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Ricketts For Mayor
« Reply #482 on: September 20, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
GO BOILERS!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: September 20, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
So I gather this thread devolved into that whole birth control argument.

Well, why isn't anyone talking about (/670thescore) the fact that catholic charities (and employers of the like) don't actually have to buy BC for their employees nor supply a tub of condoms to them. The law that is in effect mandates that health insurance companies must cover birth control in their health care plans. Debate that, if you will. The other aspect of the law is that employers must choose a health insurance company that covers BC, so under the current law, they simply must choose any health insurance provider, since all of them cover it. So, really, they're not forced to pay for their employees' birth control. Essentially, it is no different than them paying an employee and them buying rubbers/BC.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #484 on: September 20, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on September 20, 2012, 09:35:05 AM

Well, why isn't anyone talking about (/670thescore) the fact that catholic charities (and employers of the like) don't actually have to buy BC for their employees nor supply a tub of condoms to them. The law that is in effect mandates that health insurance companies must cover birth control in their health care plans. Debate that, if you will. The other aspect of the law is that employers must choose a health insurance company that covers BC, so under the current law, they simply must choose any health insurance provider, since all of them cover it. So, really, they're not forced to pay for their employees' birth control. Essentially, it is no different than them paying an employee and them buying rubbers/BC.

Unless they self-insure, which many do.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: September 20, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
Think of all the problems a single-payer system would solve.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #486 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »

Mea culpa.  But when the Rickettes high step their way into city and national politics this seemed to me to be the correct thread.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: September 20, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
Also, since religious organizations can just make up shit as they go along, do you religious freedom fighters really see no opportunity for abuse?

What if one were to get a job teaching at a Jesuit university and all of a sudden, after one were diagnosed with cancer the Jesuits were to all of a sudden come out against chemotherapy?  Since one is free to go get another job, cool.  Oh, but aren't you also against Obamacare and, therefore, even getting a new job would mean that one now has a pre-existing condition that is no longer covered?

Granted, this example is a but extreme but this whole backwards anti-birth control argument flies in the face of anything a civilized society ought to be standing for.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: September 20, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 20, 2012, 09:24:53 AM

Also, what do you mean "the way organized religion chips away at government" ? I can't remember the last time the Church had the ability to tell the government what to do and force them to comply. Also, religions don't have to pay taxes so therefore they owe the government and should just do what they're told? I don't think the tax free status was instituted in order to ensure More cooperation between church and state.

If the Government actually enforced the clause in the Internal Revenue Code that states politically active religious organizations forfeit their tax-free status, we'd never have to issue another T-Bill ever.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: September 20, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 19, 2012, 07:49:03 PM
Fuck it's silent in here.

You've been doing much better lately.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: September 20, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 20, 2012, 11:51:25 AM

He loses a point for properly punctuating "it's."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: September 20, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 20, 2012, 11:53:52 AM

Your right.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: September 20, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 20, 2012, 12:04:07 PM

Your right.

His post could of been even better.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: September 20, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 20, 2012, 12:10:22 PM
Quote from: CBStew on September 20, 2012, 12:04:07 PM

Your right.

His post could of been even better.

Irregardless, it was still funny.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »

Why is Yeti talking about buying BC?  I mean, he's got quite the broadcast voice and ability to make pictures better, but *buying* him?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.