News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,782 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 27, 2013, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: BH on June 27, 2013, 08:21:01 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 26, 2013, 10:10:45 PM
Emperor Tunney issues his "demands" from on high:

QuoteWrigleyville's alderman sent a letter to the Cubs on Wednesday saying that if the organization wants his support for the plan, it will need to cut by one-third the size of a left field video scoreboard and greatly reduce the size of a requested right field advertising sign.

QuoteThe 44th Ward alderman said he spoke to Mayor Rahm Emanuel about those and three other specific changes he wants to the Cubs plan before sending the letter to team officials.

These changes are based on ... what?  Tunney's aesthetic taste?

Makes perfect sense for the alderman to tell a team what to do in their own building. This goes in front of review by Emanuel appointed folks right? Hopefully they tell the alderman to cram it.

Specifics:

QuoteIn addition to reducing the left field Jumbotron from 6,000 square feet to 4,000 square feet and the right field ad board from 1,000 square feet to 650 square feet, Tunney told the Cubs they will need to get rid of a request for a pedestrian bridge over Clark Street that team CEO Tom Ricketts want to connect the ballpark to the hotel.

"I don't think there's a functional reason to put a bridge over Clark Street," Tunney said. "To transport 175 hotel guests?"

In addition, Tunney said he wants the entrance to the hotel moved from Patterson Avenue, a residential street west of Wrigley Field, to either Clark Street or Addison Street. And the alderman said he can't support a plan for an outdoor patio in the hotel above Patterson where hotel guests could hang out. "Come on, people live 50 feet away from there," he said.

The Cubs are like .... nah.

QuoteIn response to Tunney's letter, Cubs spokesman Julian Green reiterated the team's position that if the Ricketts family is to invest $300 million in the restoration and modernization of Wrigley Field, plus another $200 million for a hotel across the street, "all elements" of the sprawling plan must be in place.

"Anything less significantly hampers our ability to make a $500 million investment," Green said.

QuoteTunney said his voice has been heard in the negotiations, but his letter expresses frustration with the amount of communication he has been getting from the team as he tries to assuage the concerns of residents in the already congested neighborhood full of bars and restaurants.

"I will expect a greater level of responsiveness and consideration from you and the Cubs organization as we finalize the Planned Development documents," Tunney's letter reads. "By your own admission, the proposed plans pose serious disruptions to my residents and will dramatically affect their quality of life. We must work together to minimize those disruptions and compose operations plans to manage the additional activity and proposed new uses."

Aww.  Poor Tom wants a seat at the table.  Aldermanning is hard.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #556 on: June 27, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 27, 2013, 01:33:02 PM

QuoteWrigleyville's alderman sent a letter to the Cubs on Wednesday saying that if the organization wants his support for the plan, it will need to cut by one-third the size of a left field video scoreboard and greatly reduce the size of a requested right field advertising sign.

QuoteThe 44th Ward alderman said he spoke to Mayor Rahm Emanuel about those and three other specific changes he wants to the Cubs plan before sending the letter to team officials.

These changes are based on ... what?  Tunney's aesthetic taste?

Makes perfect sense for the alderman to tell a team what to do in their own building. This goes in front of review by Emanuel appointed folks right? Hopefully they tell the alderman to cram it.

Specifics:

QuoteIn addition to reducing the left field Jumbotron from 6,000 square feet to 4,000 square feet and the right field ad board from 1,000 square feet to 650 square feet, Tunney told the Cubs they will need to get rid of a request for a pedestrian bridge over Clark Street that team CEO Tom Ricketts want to connect the ballpark to the hotel.

"I don't think there's a functional reason to put a bridge over Clark Street," Tunney said. "To transport 175 hotel guests?"

In addition, Tunney said he wants the entrance to the hotel moved from Patterson Avenue, a residential street west of Wrigley Field, to either Clark Street or Addison Street. And the alderman said he can't support a plan for an outdoor patio in the hotel above Patterson where hotel guests could hang out. "Come on, people live 50 feet away from there," he said.

QuoteIn response to Tunney's letter, Cubs spokesman Julian Green reiterated the team's position that if the Ricketts family is to invest $300 million in the restoration and modernization of Wrigley Field, plus another $200 million for a hotel across the street, "all elements" of the sprawling plan must be in place.

"Anything less significantly hampers our ability to make a $500 million investment," Green said.

QuoteTunney said his voice has been heard in the negotiations, but his letter expresses frustration with the amount of communication he has been getting from the team as he tries to assuage the concerns of residents in the already congested neighborhood full of bars and restaurants.

"I will expect a greater level of responsiveness and consideration from you and the Cubs organization as we finalize the Planned Development documents," Tunney's letter reads. "By your own admission, the proposed plans pose serious disruptions to my residents and will dramatically affect their quality of life. We must work together to minimize those disruptions and compose operations plans to manage the additional activity and proposed new uses."

Aww.  Poor Tom wants a seat at the table.  Aldermanning is hard.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I can't possibly be the only person who found his use of the phrase "my residents" to be a bit condescending and paternalistic?  I mean, I'm familiar with the source, but there isn't a better way he could have phrased that.

"My constituents"  "The residents of my district"  "Our [meaning the Cubs and himself] neighbors"

Or am I thinking too much into this?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #557 on: June 27, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 27, 2013, 02:27:37 PM

These changes are based on ... what?  Tunney's aesthetic taste?

Specifics:

Aww.  Poor Tom wants a seat at the table.  Aldermanning is hard.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I can't possibly be the only person who found his use of the phrase "my residents" to be a bit condescending and paternalistic?  I mean, I'm familiar with the source, but there isn't a better way he could have phrased that.

"My constituents"  "The residents of my district"  "Our [meaning the Cubs and himself] neighbors"

Tom Tunney IS Wrigleyville, pal.  He built it with his BARE DAMN HANDS!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

However you phrase it, doesn't it basically boil down to "the rooftop owners"?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 27, 2013, 02:36:09 PM

"The totally legitimate, and non-freeloading, independent business people of the Wrigleyville rooftops."

They're just like any other legitimate business.  Do you think that local farmer's market of yours *doesn't* steal crops from random farms from time to time?  COME ON!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »

To answer Gil, yes, "my residents" seems a bit paternalistic vs. "my constituents" and I thought similar thoughts.

As for JWalt, well, of course. That is also synonymous with "my contributors."

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 27, 2013, 02:39:51 PM

"The totally legitimate, and non-freeloading, independent business people of the Wrigleyville rooftops."

They're just like any other legitimate business.  Do you think that local farmer's market of yours *doesn't* steal crops from random farms from time to time?  COME ON!!

Well they won't once colony collapse takes out the rest of those thieving bees.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

Specifics:

You can't miss it, or you won't miss it?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #563 on: June 28, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 27, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Specifics:

You can't miss it, or you won't miss it?

Yes.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #564 on: July 24, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130724/wrigleyville/cubs-propose-bridge-linking-right-field-patio-red-line-stop-sources-say

QuoteA pedestrian bridge could be making its way back into the Cubs' Wrigley Field renovation plan, but this time it would be over Sheffield Avenue — and might reach the "L".

Sources say if the team can't get a controversial bridge over Clark Street approved, they're pitching a separate plan that would connect the Addison Red Line station to Wrigley Field beyond right field.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #565 on: July 25, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 24, 2013, 07:06:57 PM
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130724/wrigleyville/cubs-propose-bridge-linking-right-field-patio-red-line-stop-sources-say

QuoteA pedestrian bridge could be making its way back into the Cubs' Wrigley Field renovation plan, but this time it would be over Sheffield Avenue — and might reach the "L".

Sources say if the team can't get a controversial bridge over Clark Street approved, they're pitching a separate plan that would connect the Addison Red Line station to Wrigley Field beyond right field.

To wit, the shops on Addison didn't grease Tunney's wheels.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #567 on: September 07, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 06, 2013, 11:23:56 PM
HOW DARE DA RICKETTSES TURN DERE BACKS ON OLD STYLE AFTER ALL DESE YEARS??

"Old style is Chicago cubs baseball. Sorry that you don't understand the traditions just like the goat. Wrigley is going to lose all it's historic charm that separates it from every other MLB franchise. Thanks again Mr.Ricketts."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #568 on: September 07, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »
Quote from: CT III on September 07, 2013, 08:36:43 AM

"Old style is Chicago cubs baseball. Sorry that you don't understand the traditions just like the goat. Wrigley is going to lose all it's historic charm that separates it from every other MLB franchise. Thanks again Mr.Ricketts."

That's called Capitalism.  What do think?  Is this Green Bay where the people own the means of production? 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #569 on: September 09, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »
Quote from: CT III on September 07, 2013, 08:36:43 AM

Maybe the Curse hasn't been the fucking goat at all. Maybe it's been Joe Krausen.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16