News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,468 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 01, 2010, 06:51:47 PM
DPD just to tell Slak...

I had some Newcastle this weekend for the first time in a looong time - the best thing I can say is that it's probably the most inoffensive beer known to man.

That was a long time ago before I'd discovered the glory of real beers. Newcastle doesn't do much for me anymore. I'll have one if there's not much to choose from. Otherwise it's no longer a viable option.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2010, 07:40:41 AM »

The fact that Newcastle comes in 5-liter party kegs makes it a very viable party option.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 02, 2010, 07:40:41 AM

The fact that Newcastle comes in 5-liter party kegs makes it a very viable party option.

I hope these kegs come bundled with party packs of Muscle Milk and rolls of Brawny.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2010, 08:54:11 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on June 02, 2010, 08:28:07 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 02, 2010, 07:40:41 AM

I hope these kegs come bundled with party packs of Muscle Milk and rolls of Brawny.

I believe that bundle is called the TDubbs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
DPD...at a wedding this weekend at a Greek place was throwing back something called (I think), Avis.

Can't find it anywhere on the internets, pretty sure that's what it was called, but the memories from the night are pretty foggy.

Anyone ever heard of it or a greek beer with a similar name?

Would like to find the number of the truck that hit me.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 08, 2010, 12:42:49 PM
DPD...at a wedding this weekend at a Greek place was throwing back something called (I think), Avis.

Can't find it anywhere on the internets, pretty sure that's what it was called, but the memories from the night are pretty foggy.

Aris?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 08, 2010, 04:53:56 PM

Aris?

No wonder the bartender didn't find my "You try harder" joke funny any of the 12 times I said it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 08, 2010, 04:59:19 PM

Aris?

No wonder the bartender didn't find my "You try harder" joke funny any of the 12 times I said it.

I bet he loved when you told him all of your Penstories.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 10, 2010, 11:20:17 AM

Aris?

2 days and that's the best you've got?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 10, 2010, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: Bort on June 10, 2010, 11:20:17 AM

Aris?

2 days and that's the best you've got?

I put off reading this thread for fear this was another Yammer story.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »
OK, it turns out that I probably[\*] found Oberon on tap last Saturday just around the corner. This was darker than I recalled and pretty good for an overcast Saturday afternoon, so I figured I'd try the bottles. I base this review on drinking straight from the bottle, as I think the troglodytes who insist that an essential quality of a summer beer is the amount of "lacing" it leaves on the glass should be mercilessly slaughtered.

Upon removing the crown cap, the aroma is distinctly of dirty diapers, and the beer measured 50 degrees Fahrenheit. After airing out, it revealed an underlying sweetness not unlike a missed bit of old spilled milk somewhere on the counter. The carbonation is coy, like 600 grit sandpaper. It is medium-bodied, with a flavor in the mouth that starts out with a hint of citrus but then veers strongly toward essence of vetivert. Essentially nothing on the finish.

Better than I recalled, and preferable to the Goose Island 312 in comparable circumstances. Not bad at $8.49 for a six-pack.

[\*] The waitress seemed confused. After recommending the "Bell's seasonal" and being asked whether it was the Oberon, she said that they only had that in bottles. We ordered three bottles, and she brought out three draft pints.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 10, 2010, 06:33:14 PM
OK, it turns out that I probably[\*] found Oberon on tap last Saturday just around the corner. This was darker than I recalled and pretty good for an overcast Saturday afternoon, so I figured I'd try the bottles. I base this review on drinking straight from the bottle, as I think the troglodytes who insist that an essential quality of a summer beer is the amount of "lacing" it leaves on the glass should be mercilessly slaughtered.

Upon removing the crown cap, the aroma is distinctly of dirty diapers, and the beer measured 50 degrees Fahrenheit. After airing out, it revealed an underlying sweetness not unlike a missed bit of old spilled milk somewhere on the counter. The carbonation is coy, like 600 grit sandpaper. It is medium-bodied, with a flavor in the mouth that starts out with a hint of citrus but then veers strongly toward essence of vetivert. Essentially nothing on the finish.

Better than I recalled, and preferable to the Goose Island 312 in comparable circumstances. Not bad at $8.49 for a six-pack.

[\*] The waitress seemed confused. After recommending the "Bell's seasonal" and being asked whether it was the Oberon, she said that they only had that in bottles. We ordered three bottles, and she brought out three draft pints.

So... you'll order it again?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 10, 2010, 06:45:31 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on June 10, 2010, 06:33:14 PM

So... you'll order it again?

I have 10 left. I feel no need to make a Yukon Jack run, but I might go out for some more UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen if the weather is good.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
A few quick beer comments from a week's vacation.

Not sure if it's available outside of NoCal (never seen it in AZ), but Sierra Nevada's Southern Hemisphere Hop Ale - I believe only available in one of those 22 oz. bombers. Really good.

Also, I know Stone is available in Chicago, and I think their IPA is fantastic, but the Ruination IPA, which is their double, was just a little bitter/too much for me. For the serious hopheads, I assume you'll love it. The dudes at BA surely do.

Final one - I know Sam Adams has about 50 million different beers right now, some of which carry the moniker "Brewmaster's Collection." Not sure how many fall into this category or what it means and I haven't had hardly any of them, but their Cream Stout, is really, really good, better than the Kalamazoo Stout I previously reported as being my favorite.