News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,459 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #585 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 15, 2010, 03:53:37 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 15, 2010, 03:49:30 PM
Quote from: Oleg on December 15, 2010, 03:17:15 PM
Beer: Bad.

Nothing about that article makes sense. The pictures are weird. The poll must have been taken by beer haters. I am angry.

Yeah, that was even more annoying than the usual HuffPo fare. Also, I am fucking sick of the rest of the world assuming American beer is all Bud Light, Busch, and Coors. Pretty sure Dogfish Head could level 99% of the world's breweries in a blind taste test.

I'm going to ignore your outlandish claims for a moment to say that thirty or even twenty years ago, people in the rest of the World were probably right about American beer.  The problem is that, because so little American beer is exported, everybody thinks it's still that bad, which simply isn't the case any more.  You can look forward to the US topping that survey for many, many years to come, though, because people in the other 98 countries surveyed simply aren't going to know any different.

So, in summary, the whole things is utterly, utterly worthless.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #586 on: December 16, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2010, 01:58:04 PM
Quote from: Tonker on December 16, 2010, 12:21:07 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 15, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Nothing about that article makes sense. The pictures are weird. The poll must have been taken by beer haters. I am angry.

Yeah, that was even more annoying than the usual HuffPo fare. Also, I am fucking sick of the rest of the world assuming American beer is all Bud Light, Busch, and Coors. Pretty sure Dogfish Head could level 99% of the world's breweries in a blind taste test.

Them or countless other breweries. If you're talking a combination of quality combined with quantity I don't think America can be beaten.

Oof.

Sorry, I forgot you were here for, what, three days once.

Cheeky bastard.  Spend a while in Germany and tell me that the States still produces a greater variety of fantastic beers than anywhere else in the World.  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you wouldn't know any better than I do.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #587 on: December 16, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 16, 2010, 02:03:45 PM

Them or countless other breweries. If you're talking a combination of quality combined with quantity I don't think America can be beaten.

Oof.

Cheeky bastard.  Spend a while in Germany and tell me that the States still produces a greater variety of fantastic beers than anywhere else in the World.  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you wouldn't know any better than I do.

I'm saying it's a combo of quality and quantity, not just quality. I'm sure Germany has many fantastic beers. That's completely ignoring the fact that each beer drinker has a specific palate and may enjoy completely different beers from the next. Say I love beer but hate all varieties of Weiss beer? Moving on from there, the United States is a much larger country in population than Germany. Also, it's not that off base to assume that the US is more diverse than Germany and has a wider variety of quality beers to choose from. I feel pretty secure in this argument.

If you took an open-minded German beer lover on an extensive US brewery tour I think they'd be blown away.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #588 on: December 16, 2010, 02:16:32 PM »

Americans have mastered the concept of refrigerating beer.

WIN.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #589 on: December 16, 2010, 08:16:33 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2010, 02:15:01 PM

Oof.

I'm saying it's a combo of quality and quantity, not just quality. I'm sure Germany has many fantastic beers. That's completely ignoring the fact that each beer drinker has a specific palate and may enjoy completely different beers from the next. Say I love beer but hate all varieties of Weiss beer? Moving on from there, the United States is a much larger country in population than Germany. Also, it's not that off base to assume that the US is more diverse than Germany and has a wider variety of quality beers to choose from. I feel pretty secure in this argument.

If you took an open-minded German beer lover on an extensive US brewery tour I think they'd be blown away.

The U.S. undoubtedly has hundreds of great beers. Still, the vast majority of beer sold here is the mass-produced crap. It's possible that the U.S. has more good beers than any other country, but it also likely consumes more shitty beer than than anywhere else.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #590 on: December 17, 2010, 12:48:43 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on December 16, 2010, 08:16:33 PM

Oof.

The U.S. undoubtedly has hundreds of great beers. Still, the vast majority of beer sold here is the mass-produced crap. It's possible that the U.S. has more good beers than any other country, but it also likely consumes more shitty beer than than anywhere else.

We contain multitudes.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #591 on: December 17, 2010, 02:59:31 AM »

Oof.

Cheeky bastard.  Spend a while in Germany and tell me that the States still produces a greater variety of fantastic beers than anywhere else in the World.  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you wouldn't know any better than I do.

In some ways, I think you're probably right.  I presume that all the German, Austro-Hungarian, Czech, Polish, Dutch-Belgian, Irish, British, Hispanic and Scandic influences in the States will have created a variety of beers that is second to none.  On the other hand, brewers in Europe have been at it for the best part of a thousand years.  In Germany, additionally, they have the "Reinheitsgebot", which has written into law that only the very simplest and purest ingredients may be used for anything that you want to call "Bier".  Also, although they're not brewing much IPA or Porter in Germany, more or less every town has its own brewery, brewing several  (sometimes seasonal) varieties of beer that are quite different from the beer that the brewery in the next town is brewing.

Indeed, just looked it up, and the US has around 1400 breweries, to Germany's 1300.  I don't think the difference is a big as you think it is, Slak.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #592 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:09 AM »
Can't we all just get drunk togther, shirtlessly hug each other, and move on?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #593 on: December 17, 2010, 06:36:10 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 17, 2010, 06:22:09 AM

Yes, Oleg.  Yes, we can.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #594 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:54 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 17, 2010, 06:36:10 AM

Yes, Oleg.  Yes, we can.

It's gonna, nay...it's GOTTA HAI.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #595 on: December 17, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »

Yes, Oleg.  Yes, we can.

Your research trumps my faith in American progress.

Let's drink beer.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #596 on: December 17, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 17, 2010, 09:22:41 AM

Yes, Oleg.  Yes, we can.

Your research trumps my faith in American progress.

Let's drink beer.

HUZZAH!

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #597 on: December 17, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
All this talk about beer, and this place just opened here in Louisville:

http://consuminglouisville.com/2010/12/holy-grale-now-open.php

I'll let you ladies know how it tastes.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #598 on: December 17, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »
As if the hospital wasn't crappy enough, I can't even read about beer.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #599 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on December 17, 2010, 03:26:52 PM
As if the hospital wasn't crappy enough, I can't even read about beer.

I thought the point of a hospital was to make people feel better. Hippocratic oath my ass.