News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,458 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #825 on: August 23, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 23, 2012, 09:43:41 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 23, 2012, 06:08:53 PM
Isn't that just tea?

Radioactive placenta tea.

Does this man say "sterile culture" to you?

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #826 on: October 15, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
I was unaware that Deschutes beers weren't available currently in Chicago, but looks like they're coming in 2013.

Some good options, though their best offerings are generally in the 750 ML varieties (though, take my hop-heavy preferences with a grain of salt.)

The new Hop Trip is an awfully nice Pale Ale, though you're about to have access to THE WORLD'S BEST BEER (laughable honor, but it is a good beer.)
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #827 on: October 17, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/09/daily-chart-13

QuoteHow long does it take to afford a beer?

ON SEPTEMBER 22nd, the beer started flowing at Oktoberfest in Munich, an annual Bavarian beer festival which confusingly begins at the end of September. Last year, over the course of the 16-day event, visitors glugged 7.5m litres of beer, sold at an average princely price of €9 ($12.50) a litre, which is what a typical large stein holds. Germans love beer and down around 100 litres per person a year. Away from the Oktoberfest beer is readily affordable. Analysts at UBS, a Swiss bank, have calculated that it takes a German earning the national median wage just under seven minutes of work to purchase half a litre of beer at a retail outlet. At the bottom of the pint glass, low wages and high taxes mean that boozers in India must toil for nearly an hour before they have earned enough to quench their thirst.

Suck it, world.

ISA! ISA! ISA! ISA!
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #828 on: October 21, 2012, 01:14:45 AM »
A buck-eighty is about twice the price of 500 ml of Boa'ould Littē even without smart shopping.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #829 on: November 19, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
Looks like Summer Shandy is going to get some competition this summer.

It's a paddlin'.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #830 on: November 19, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »
It's stout season. I am excited because stouts are delicious. Anyone got any good ones?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #831 on: November 19, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 19, 2012, 07:05:55 PM
It's stout season. I am excited because stouts are delicious. Anyone got any good ones?

Pen was just splooging all over everyone's Facebook over just the thought of this stuff:

http://beerstreetjournal.com/odell-lugene-chocolate-milk-stout-arrives-in-january/

Not that this helps you today.

For now: Left Hand Milk Stout.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #832 on: November 19, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 19, 2012, 07:12:36 PM

Pen was just splooging all over everyone's Facebook over just the thought of this stuff:

http://beerstreetjournal.com/odell-lugene-chocolate-milk-stout-arrives-in-january/

Also, if you can't wait for the Odell, I highly recommend Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #833 on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »

Left Hand Milk Stout is great.

I picked up a Founders Breakfast Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and the Goose BCS recently.

The Founders BS was great. Every time I go to the store I see a few new stouts I'm dying to try.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #834 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 19, 2012, 08:41:45 PM

I picked up a Founders Breakfast Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and the Goose BCS recently.

The Founders BS was great. Every time I go to the store I see a few new stouts I'm dying to try.

Have you tried Dragon's Milk from New Holland?  If not, do so.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #835 on: November 19, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 19, 2012, 09:06:12 PM

Yes - very good

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #836 on: November 20, 2012, 08:29:03 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 19, 2012, 09:09:14 PM
Quote from: CT III on November 19, 2012, 09:06:12 PM

Yes - very good

I need to give more stouts a try. Old Rasputin is the one I drink the most, it's incredible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #837 on: November 23, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 19, 2010, 05:26:50 PM
So, during a recent (okay, 30 seconds ago) perusing of BA, I came across a style of beer, "American Wild Ale" that was totally foreign to me.

Looked at some of the descriptions of the beers, sound very...interesting.

Sometimes Belgian influenced, American Wild Ales are beers that are introduced to "wild" yeast or bacteria, such as: Brettanomyces (Brettanomyces Bruxellensis, Brettanomyces Lambicus or Brettanomyces Anomolus), Pediococcus or Lactobacillus. This introduction may occur from oak barrels that have been previously inoculated, pitched into the beer, or gained from various "sour mash" techniques. Regardless of which and how, these little creatures often leave a funky calling card that can be quite strange, interesting, pleasing to many, but also often deemed as undesirable by many.

Most of the ones I read talk about various fruits and a lot of mentions of "sour."

Anyone ever have one of these? Juliet, by Goose Island is on the list, didn't know if anyone had tried that one (or any of the others).  

Though sounds like if you do go and try and Juliet, be prepared, because all of the reviewers are talking about the bottles opening with quite a bit of "gushing."

I am having a Grand Rapids brewery's AWA, Escoffier Bretta. Good stuff. And, Pen, since I know you like beeradvocate.com, I am having it at HopCat, which the claimed ranked as the #3 beer bar by beeradvocate

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #838 on: November 24, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 23, 2012, 12:30:39 PM
Quote from: PenPho on May 19, 2010, 05:26:50 PM
So, during a recent (okay, 30 seconds ago) perusing of BA, I came across a style of beer, "American Wild Ale" that was totally foreign to me.

Looked at some of the descriptions of the beers, sound very...interesting.

Sometimes Belgian influenced, American Wild Ales are beers that are introduced to "wild" yeast or bacteria, such as: Brettanomyces (Brettanomyces Bruxellensis, Brettanomyces Lambicus or Brettanomyces Anomolus), Pediococcus or Lactobacillus. This introduction may occur from oak barrels that have been previously inoculated, pitched into the beer, or gained from various "sour mash" techniques. Regardless of which and how, these little creatures often leave a funky calling card that can be quite strange, interesting, pleasing to many, but also often deemed as undesirable by many.

Most of the ones I read talk about various fruits and a lot of mentions of "sour."

Anyone ever have one of these? Juliet, by Goose Island is on the list, didn't know if anyone had tried that one (or any of the others).  

Though sounds like if you do go and try and Juliet, be prepared, because all of the reviewers are talking about the bottles opening with quite a bit of "gushing."

I am having a Grand Rapids brewery's AWA, Escoffier Bretta. Good stuff. And, Pen, since I know you like beeradvocate.com, I am having it at HopCat, which the claimed ranked as the #3 beer bar by beeradvocate

Ironically enough (CT?), Yeti Imperial Stout is fantastic.

Also, for more everyday stouts available in Chicago, in addition to those mentioned:  Kalamazoo (Bell's), Obsidian (Deschutes), Sierra Nevada Stout and Bell's Java are all solid. 

My wife enjoys Sam Adams Cream Stout quite a bit,  which is pretty light. Probably not what you're looking for to fulfill a Stout fix, but you can have 5 of them withit feeling like you ate a tire.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #839 on: November 24, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »
Also, I'm pretty sure I've made that exact same post before.