News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip  ( 90,709 )

cml

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
Re: Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2006, 04:18:44 PM »
The shows has so many problems I don't even know where to start, but I think CPT makes a good point of Sorkin not being able to draw a line between the West Wing and Studio 60.  The rubes from the blue state who don't know the "Who's On First Sketch", the old writer who was blacklisted (and a war hero to boot), the religious right going after the show, dirty politics, trying to get an audience to watch a show about the U.N.; these are storylines that could have easily been worked into the West Wing.

With that said, I still watch it.  It's not well-written but it is nice looking.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2006, 04:21:46 PM »
Quote from: KD on October 24, 2006, 02:55:47 PM
I suspended disbelief for a while, but it was too hard last night during the bit about the Corddry's character's parents.  These guys are in their mid-50s, tops, and they still have a turntable that goes to 78?  They stopped making 78s in the early 50's, righto?  And I don't care how removed they are from Hollywood, everyone and their great-grandfather has heard of "Who's On First?"  I mean, half of the dialogue from "Rain Man" is cribbed from that bit.  Needless to say, Sorkin's a bit removed ... from a lot of things.  Besides that and the sketches, I still like the show.

(btw, one of the funniest sketches in TV history has to be the Kids in the Hall take on "Who's On First." 

Dave Foley: "no, I'm a vaudevillian.")

EDIT: here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dCdgUixMg

I think they made the 78 turntable later than that KD.  My cousin's 35 years old, and I inherited one from him as a kid.  Of course, I had no idea what that 78 speed was for.  I mainly used it as the "kill" setting on Darth Vader's centrifuge of death.
If we're so fucking superior, why are we working here?

cubbiebluestew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »
Quote from: CPT on October 24, 2006, 04:21:46 PM
Quote from: KD on October 24, 2006, 02:55:47 PM
I suspended disbelief for a while, but it was too hard last night during the bit about the Corddry's character's parents.  These guys are in their mid-50s, tops, and they still have a turntable that goes to 78?  They stopped making 78s in the early 50's, righto?  And I don't care how removed they are from Hollywood, everyone and their great-grandfather has heard of "Who's On First?"  I mean, half of the dialogue from "Rain Man" is cribbed from that bit.  Needless to say, Sorkin's a bit removed ... from a lot of things.  Besides that and the sketches, I still like the show.

(btw, one of the funniest sketches in TV history has to be the Kids in the Hall take on "Who's On First." 

Dave Foley: "no, I'm a vaudevillian.")

EDIT: here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dCdgUixMg

I think they made the 78 turntable later than that KD.  My cousin's 35 years old, and I inherited one from him as a kid.  Of course, I had no idea what that 78 speed was for.  I mainly used it as the "kill" setting on Darth Vader's centrifuge of death.

If they made 78s after about 1953 they forgot to put them on the market.  From that point on, singles were on 45 rpm and albums were on 33 rpm.  Although they continued to manufacture turntables that had all three speeds on them, you couldn't play a 78 because the stylus (needle) was generally too fine for the groove in a 78 rpm record.
Life is too short to be a Cub fan

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2006, 06:59:18 PM »
I had a friend who, I am not joking, lived in Dan Patrick's childhood home down in Mason, Ohio.  Patrick was known as Danny Pugh back then, if memory serves.  Anyway, we spent one afternoon rummaging through the attic above the garage -- and not only found some childhood crayon drawings from little Danny Pugh, but a Dinah Washington 78.  I really should have brought one of those home.

EDIT: I just wikipedia'd Patrick to confirm the "Pugh" part of things, and it turns out Danny Pugh and I share a birthday.

Yah mo B there!

The Slak

• Former Aardsomologist; Current Cottolingist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2006, 12:11:53 PM »
It's still getting its ass kicked by What About Brian and CSI: Miami. Yow.

James Westfall

• Sex Panther from Odeon
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2006, 01:06:11 PM »
Does that mean we should be starting a thread on What About Brian?

The Slak

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
Quote from: James Westfall on October 25, 2006, 01:06:11 PM
Does that mean we should be starting a thread on What About Brian?

I'm just reporting the facts mang. Studio is in deep caca as my old neighbor used to say.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2006, 07:14:17 PM »
I would have to go back to my West Wing DVDs to check, but there was an episode of TWW where Donna (Played by the underrated Janel Moloney) had relatives come visit her in the White House, and they also were essentially written and executed as know-nothings. I even think the same woman from Monday's show might have played the female relative of Donna's on that particular West Wing episode.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2006, 07:18:23 PM »
How bout that Alec Baldwin!

"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious."

"Yes, I made her repeat it.  I was sure she said Jason Lee."
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

The Slak

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2006, 07:56:58 PM »
Quote from: JD on October 25, 2006, 07:18:23 PM
How bout that Alec Baldwin!

"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious."

"Yes, I made her repeat it.  I was sure she said Jason Lee."

Who cares if he's insane? He's hilarious in this show.

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2006, 08:08:42 PM »
Who woulda thought that I would so thoroughly enjoy a comedy that starred Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan?  OH, and Tina Fey.  To quote Dave Nelson of WNYX----not my favorite.
I think this show might deserve it's own thread, but I think it's fitting to keep talking about it in this thread about a piece of dookie show. 

MDZ

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2006, 01:04:02 PM »
Live every week like it's Shark Week.

The Slak

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2006, 01:09:37 PM »
Quote from: MDZ on November 02, 2006, 01:04:02 PM
Live every week like it's Shark Week.

Someone else watched? Nice.

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2006, 02:08:15 PM »
My attention was divided while it was on.  I did enjoy Baldwin's chewing out of Tina Fey at the end.   

OH...and the reaction of the writing staff when Tina Fey walked in wearing her hoochie mama outfit.

The Slak

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2006, 02:21:33 PM »
Quote from: JD on November 02, 2006, 02:08:15 PM
My attention was divided while it was on.  I did enjoy Baldwin's chewing out of Tina Fey at the end.   

OH...and the reaction of the writing staff when Tina Fey walked in wearing her hoochie mama outfit.

You're making me gay.