News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,868 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #855 on: May 27, 2010, 10:20:06 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 27, 2010, 10:17:49 AM
Quote from: R-V on May 27, 2010, 08:52:00 AM
Zambrano, Jackson, and Cashner, 6th inning to 8th inning in 2011! I'm sure moving their top 2 starting pitching prospects to the bullpen has nothing to do with Hendry trying to keep his job.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/05/26/cashner-quickest-route-to-the-majors-might-be-the-pen/

Quote"We did the same experiment with Jay Jackson," Iowa pitching coach Mike Mason said. "Jackson passed, now it's Cashner's turn to see if he can acclimate to the bullpen."

Wait, wasn't Cashner a closer in college?  Then, the Cubs decided to stretch him out, right?  Now, they want to put him back in the pen?  Goddamn it.

Yup. He's got all of 175 innings logged as a starter since they drafted him. I see nothing that could possibly go wrong with putting him back in the bullpen.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #856 on: May 27, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 27, 2010, 10:20:06 AM
Zambrano, Jackson, and Cashner, 6th inning to 8th inning in 2011! I'm sure moving their top 2 starting pitching prospects to the bullpen has nothing to do with Hendry trying to keep his job.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/05/26/cashner-quickest-route-to-the-majors-might-be-the-pen/

Quote"We did the same experiment with Jay Jackson," Iowa pitching coach Mike Mason said. "Jackson passed, now it's Cashner's turn to see if he can acclimate to the bullpen."

Wait, wasn't Cashner a closer in college?  Then, the Cubs decided to stretch him out, right?  Now, they want to put him back in the pen?  Goddamn it.

Yup. He's got all of 175 innings logged as a starter since they drafted him. I see nothing that could possibly go wrong with putting him back in the bullpen.

I can.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #857 on: May 27, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »

I can't tell if you're green fonting me here, but this is what Cashner had to say about it:

"It surprised me when I first heard about it.  I talked to (the Chicago Cubs) about going to relief a while back, but it was always their thought that I was going to start. Working out of the bullpen is something right now that excites me."

I guess he feels more comfortable pitching out of the pen.  Regardless, this is just the Cubs trying to get his ass in Chicago with the quickness.  At least to me it is.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #858 on: May 27, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 27, 2010, 11:10:58 AM

I can't tell if you're green fonting me here, but this is what Cashner had to say about it:

"It surprised me when I first heard about it.  I talked to (the Chicago Cubs) about going to relief a while back, but it was always their thought that I was going to start. Working out of the bullpen is something right now that excites me."

I guess he feels more comfortable pitching out of the pen.  Regardless, this is just the Cubs trying to get his ass in Chicago with the quickness.  At least to me it is.

No green font. If their ultimate goal here is to have him start, where he would have the most value, it doesn't make sense to put him back in the bullpen when he hasn't even had 200 innings to get comfortable as a starter. Ah who am I shitting, Hendry has no long term goals.

And I agree, they want him in the bullpen to SAVE THE SEASON.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #859 on: May 27, 2010, 11:57:49 AM »

Fuck it, if you've got a guy who would rather be thrown into the fire than start, that's something that can't be taught.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #860 on: May 27, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 27, 2010, 11:57:49 AM

Fuck it, if you've got a guy who would rather be thrown into the fire than start, that's something that can't be taught.

Seriously, guys like Eck and Smoltz who transitioned perfectly from starting to the pen were totally gutless until they weren't.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #861 on: May 27, 2010, 12:15:27 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 27, 2010, 12:13:40 PM

Seriously, guys like Eck and Smoltz who transitioned perfectly from starting to the pen were totally gutless until they weren't.

The Cubs' usual group of relievers have raisins in their nut sack. It might not even be rare in environs other than the North Side of Chicago. But it's rare here.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #862 on: May 27, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 27, 2010, 12:15:27 PM

The Cubs' usual group of relievers have raisins in their nut sack. It might not even be rare in environs other than the North Side of Chicago. But it's rare here.

This statement makes absolutely no sense.  The "usual group of relievers" might be a bunch of talentless sucks, but most of them are/were at least dumb enough to be fearless.  Remember Farnsworth?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #863 on: May 27, 2010, 12:33:44 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 27, 2010, 12:26:46 PM

This statement makes absolutely no sense.  The "usual group of relievers" might be a bunch of talentless sucks, but most of them are/were at least dumb enough to be fearless.  Remember Farnsworth?

I blame every catcher Farnsworth ever had for not putting a sniper on the roof of Wrigley Field with orders to shoot ti kill whenever Farnsworth got the bright idea in his head of throwing a slider.
TIME TO POST!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #864 on: May 27, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 27, 2010, 12:33:44 PM

I blame every catcher Farnsworth ever had for not putting a sniper on the roof of Wrigley Field with orders to shoot ti kill whenever Farnsworth got the bright idea in his head of throwing a slider.

That's something that can't be taught.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #865 on: May 27, 2010, 12:57:12 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 27, 2010, 12:51:08 PM

The hell it can't.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #866 on: May 27, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »

How is pitching in the bullpen more of a "thrown into the fire" role than starting?  Most relievers are failed starters.*

* Or, in the Cubs' case, successful starters with career 3.57 ERAs.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #867 on: May 27, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 27, 2010, 01:01:50 PM

How is pitching in the bullpen more of a "thrown into the fire" role than starting?  Most relievers are failed starters.*

Can't you guys come up with something original to argue about?  I feel like I'm watching an episode of Community here.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #868 on: May 27, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on May 27, 2010, 12:57:12 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 27, 2010, 12:51:08 PM

The hell it can't.

"One shot, one kill."
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #869 on: May 27, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 27, 2010, 01:10:13 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 27, 2010, 01:01:50 PM

Can't you guys come up with something original to argue about?  I feel like I'm watching an episode of Community here.

Fork is Pearce.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"