News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,869 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #870 on: May 27, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
It gets even better...Jackson is moving BACK to the rotation after pitching out of the pen for all of 2 weeks. This organization has ADD.

QuoteCashner will pitch one inning Thursday night and one inning Saturday before the Cubs decide what to do next. Jay Jackson, another starter who was switched to the bullpen, will move back into the Iowa rotation.

"The reasons are as follows," player development director Oneri Fleita said. "Jackson has had a chance he can throw out of the pen, and he did a great job. And now we'd like to know what Cashner can do out of the pen because these kids are young kids.

"They've pitched for two years and I'd hate to know that they (couldn't come) up here because we had a need for our bullpen."

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #871 on: May 27, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 27, 2010, 01:46:34 PM
It gets even better...Jackson is moving BACK to the rotation after pitching out of the pen for all of 2 weeks. This organization has ADD.

QuoteCashner will pitch one inning Thursday night and one inning Saturday before the Cubs decide what to do next. Jay Jackson, another starter who was switched to the bullpen, will move back into the Iowa rotation.

"The reasons are as follows," player development director Oneri Fleita said. "Jackson has had a chance he can throw out of the pen, and he did a great job. And now we'd like to know what Cashner can do out of the pen because these kids are young kids.

"They've pitched for two years and I'd hate to know that they (couldn't come) up here because we had a need for our bullpen."

Wut?  There you have it, folks.  These kids...they're young kids.  So, them being young and kiddish is why we are earfucking them this year.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #872 on: May 27, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 27, 2010, 01:51:58 PM
These kids...they're young kids.  So, them being young and kiddish is why we are earfucking them this year.

Kurt just got a boner in his jean shorts.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #873 on: May 27, 2010, 02:04:51 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 27, 2010, 01:10:13 PM
Can't you guys come up with something original to argue about?  I feel like I'm watching an episode of Community here.

I guess I'll just wait until IAN shows up and starts talking about Annie's boobs.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #874 on: May 27, 2010, 02:13:16 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 27, 2010, 02:04:51 PM
Can't you guys come up with something original to argue about?  I feel like I'm watching an episode of Community here.

I guess I'll just wait until IAN shows up and starts talking about Annie's boobs.

You probably won't have to wait long.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #875 on: May 27, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 27, 2010, 02:04:51 PM

I'm kind of obsessed with Annie, too. I just don't express it as much as IAN does. He carries the workload for that.

motown

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #876 on: May 27, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »

Wut?  There you have it, folks.  These kids...they're young kids.  So, them being young and kiddish is why we are earfucking them this year.

I think it's easy to overrate the effects of moving pitchers back and forth between the bullpen and starting. Sure there's a big difference in preparing for each role, but at some point, pitching is pitching- if Cashner and/or Jackson are the best available pitchers, then get them ready for the role and bring em up. And if they can't hack it in the big leagues long-term, it likely will be because they weren't good enough for either role, and not because they were jerked around.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #877 on: May 27, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
Quote from: motown on May 27, 2010, 02:25:06 PM

I think it's easy to overrate the effects of moving pitchers back and forth between the bullpen and starting. Sure there's a big difference in preparing for each role, but at some point, pitching is pitching- if Cashner and/or Jackson are the best available pitchers, then get them ready for the role and bring em up. And if they can't hack it in the big leagues long-term, it likely will be because they weren't good enough for either role, and not because they were jerked around.

shit just got realz.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #878 on: May 27, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
Great news!

"David Patton, who was designated for assignment when the Cubs had to make room for Bob Howry, has cleared waivers and re-signed with the Cubs, according to MLB.com's Carrie Muskat (via Twitter)."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #879 on: May 27, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »

It doesn't matter how dumb something I can say looks in retrospect (I don't even have drinking as an excuse), the fact that the Cubs can always swoop in and say or do something dumber is a source of comfort.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #880 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 27, 2010, 03:01:16 PM

It doesn't matter how dumb something I can say looks in retrospect (I don't even have drinking as an excuse), the fact that the Cubs can always swoop in and say or do something dumber is a source of comfort.

Those are about the lowest standards you can have.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #881 on: May 27, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 27, 2010, 03:16:15 PM
Quote from: Fork on May 27, 2010, 03:01:16 PM

Those are about the lowest standards you can have.

Hey, when you shank one as bad as I did earlier, you can't be fussy.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #882 on: May 27, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 27, 2010, 12:13:40 PM
Quote from: Fork on May 27, 2010, 11:57:49 AM

Fuck it, if you've got a guy who would rather be thrown into the fire than start, that's something that can't be taught.

Seriously, guys like Eck and Smoltz who transitioned perfectly from starting to the pen were totally gutless until they weren't.

THI. I don't think it's harmful to move a guy back and forth between starter and reliever. Not as much as moving him to a level he's not ready for. That was the problem with Samardjiza. His offspeed stuff wasn't even close to Major League ready. However, if you move a starter to the pen and suspend his use of his third or fourth pitch, you may require additional seasoning (Spring Training? AFL?) to recalibrate if you decide to move him back. But I don't know if that even matters. Most good starters use their third pitch about what, five times a game?

EDIT: If you missed the larger point, it's probably because this post was horribly written. 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #883 on: May 27, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 27, 2010, 06:01:23 PM
Most good starters use their third pitch about what, five times a game?

Since I like answering rhetorical questions and missing the larger point of people's posts, here are some top starters and their percentage of pitches thrown:

Lincecum: 53% fastball, 24% change, 13% curveball
Halladay: 39% fastball, 33% cutter, 14% curveball
Greinke: 63% fastball, 17% slider, 11% change
Jimenez: 59% fastball, 17% change, 14% slider
Verlander: 62% fastball, 19% curveball, 14% change

So, two points -- 1.) looks like top pitchers will generally throw their third pitch about 15 times per game and 2.) Tim Lincecum throws a whole lot of changeups.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #884 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:11 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 27, 2010, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 27, 2010, 06:01:23 PM
Most good starters use their third pitch about what, five times a game?

Since I like answering rhetorical questions and missing the larger point of people's posts, here are some top starters and their percentage of pitches thrown:

Lincecum: 53% fastball, 24% change, 13% curveball
Halladay: 39% fastball, 33% cutter, 14% curveball
Greinke: 63% fastball, 17% slider, 11% change
Jimenez: 59% fastball, 17% change, 14% slider
Verlander: 62% fastball, 19% curveball, 14% change

So, two points -- 1.) looks like top pitchers will generally throw their third pitch about 15 times per game and 2.) Tim Lincecum throws a whole lot of changeups.

Thank you for this.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.