News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,928 )

LoneStarCubFan

Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on April 23, 2009, 04:17:29 PM
I don't see any "panic" in my observations, either. It's a little more like "anger". Why shouldn't people be pissed to lose to a team in Wrigley with four of eight regulars hitting under .200 and Dusty managing? Another "lackluster" game as Lou just called it. And he's seen enough of Hoff-Power in RF, announcing that when Bradley doesn't play, he's going with Reed Johnson in CF and Fooky in right.

And is it panic to point out that the reigning Rookie of the Year is 3-30 with NO extra-base hits?

Well I guess the silver lining is Dr. Strangeglove won't be in RF anymore. Send him to Des Moines and let him learn to DH.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on April 23, 2009, 04:34:38 PM
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 04:25:19 PM
Quote from: Bonk on April 23, 2009, 04:13:19 PM
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 04:09:27 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 23, 2009, 04:00:32 PM
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 03:56:59 PM
Quote from: Dave B on April 23, 2009, 03:55:52 PM
Samardzija getting rocked in the 9th.

Embarrassing getting beat two out of three by this team. Four of the eight regulars are/were hitting under .200.

This team needs to wake the fuck up.

It's April.

They'll be 8-6 after this loss.  That only puts them on pace for 93 wins.  PANIC, Mike.  Embrace it.

Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?  I don't know where people get off expecting this team to play flawless baseball every day for 6 months.  Have most of you not been watching this sport your whole lives?  Do you really expect them to go through a whole season without playing like shit from time to time for a century?

1) I meant baseball teams in general, Bonk.  Look up all of those Yankees teams through the years and you'll be sure to find some bad stretches in each of their championship seasons.  Better yet, look at Lou's 2001 Mariners, who hardly did have any of these bad stretches during their season, sparing their fans the trauma of passing out on the gutless fucking fainting couch.  Would you rather the Cubs spare you any angst and play flawlessly during the season and then peter out in the postseason?  Would that be something you'd be interested in?

2)  What does 100 years have to do with your fandom anyway?  I'm 37 so I'm only carrying baggage from 1979.  If anyone has a right to be pissed, it's Stew.  Sadly, he's probably got more perspective than half of this fucking fanbase.

I don't see any "panic" in my observations, either. It's a little more like "anger". Why shouldn't people be pissed to lose to a team in Wrigley with four of eight regulars hitting under .200 and Dusty managing? Another "lackluster" game as Lou just called it. And he's seen enough of Hoff-Power in RF, announcing that when Bradley doesn't play, he's going with Reed Johnson in CF and Fooky in right.

And is it panic to point out that the reigning Rookie of the Year is 3-30 with NO extra-base hits?

Same dude struck out like 30 times one weekend in Washington last year, no?  I'll panic when Soto's still batting .100 by Memorial Day.  

As for losing to a team with half their batters batting below .200...well that just backs up my point, it being April, and the fact that many of those guys are not .200 hitters.  They were going to warm up sooner or later, the timing just worked out so that it happened against the Cubs.

You'll remember that the Reds nearly took the season series from the Cubs last year, and the Cubs still won 97 games.  Pace yourselves.

Yeah, I agree, but that's why people are pissed. Still angry about the awe-inspiring dump that the Cubs have taken in the playoffs the last two years.

Thank and I really, really like using the strike function.

Ha.  Don't get me started on the playoffs.  That's what I save up my ANGER for.  
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2009, 06:10:17 PM »

Embarrassing getting beat two out of three by this team. Four of the eight regulars are/were hitting under .200.

It's April.

They'll be 8-6 after this loss.  That only puts them on pace for 93 wins.  PANIC, Mike.  Embrace it.

Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?  I don't know where people get off expecting this team to play flawless baseball every day for 6 months.  Have most of you not been watching this sport your whole lives?  Do you really expect them to go through a whole season without playing like shit from time to time?

Thii.

None of this crap matters right now. None of it. In fact I almost don't care how they play. Wake me up in August.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on April 23, 2009, 06:10:17 PM

It's April.

Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?  I don't know where people get off expecting this team to play flawless baseball every day for 6 months.  Have most of you not been watching this sport your whole lives?  Do you really expect them to go through a whole season without playing like shit from time to time?

Thii.

None of this crap matters right now. None of it. In fact I almost don't care how they play. Wake me up in August.
It does matter and they're playing like shit poorly.
I do care how they play now and I sure as hell don't like seeing them lose to Dusty (and our past issues) but admit it, all of us should be beyond that crap.
They will play better... but today they can go fuck themselves.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »
Quote from: flannj on April 23, 2009, 10:23:49 PM

It's April.

Thii.

I do care how they play now and I sure as hell don't like seeing them lose to Dusty (and our past issues) but admit it, all of us should be beyond that crap.

I will co-sign on this.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42:05 PM »

It's April.

Thii.

Sometimes at night after all my sports has gone down the shitter (like last night), I turn off the tv and the internet, put on some tunes and sip a strong, manly beer. The pain just melts away.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on April 23, 2009, 10:42:05 PM

It's April.

Thii.

Sometimes at night after all my sports has gone down the shitter (like last night), I turn off the tv and the internet, put on some tunes and sip a strong, manly beer. The pain just melts away.
Are you looking in my windows?
Oberon and The Blasters.

The alarm clock goes off at 4:40.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »

I'm not panicking, but I wonder if his shoulder is worse off than was previously indicated. He's still not really driving the ball, and I haven't seen his throwing get tested enough to know for sure.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »
The rap on Geo in his minor league career was that he didn't work the hardest and was a little out of shape. He buated his ass and had a good 2007 at Iowa and in his call-up to Chicago. He kept working hard and we know how 2008 went. With his spring training, the sore shoulder, and the 3-30 start, some could speculate that he didn't work as hard this off-season. I don't know for sure, but something doesn't seem right with him.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 08:44:25 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on April 24, 2009, 08:36:38 AM
The rap on Geo in his minor league career was that he didn't work the hardest and was a little out of shape. He buated his ass and had a good 2007 at Iowa and in his call-up to Chicago. He kept working hard and we know how 2008 went. With his spring training, the sore shoulder, and the 3-30 start, some could speculate that he didn't work as hard this off-season. I don't know for sure, but something doesn't seem right with him.

Not to mention, with Hank on the team last year, the position of sleepy catcher had been filled.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 08:46:48 AM »

Except that aren't playing poorly.  They're 8-6, which is about exactly the rate you'd expect this team to win games (like I said yesterday, on pace for 93 wins).

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on April 23, 2009, 10:42:05 PM

It's April.

Thii.

Why'd you turn the interweb off?  There's good "relief" available on the internet, too.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 08:59:08 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 24, 2009, 08:46:48 AM

Except that aren't playing poorly.  They're 8-6, which is about exactly the rate you'd expect this team to win games (like I said yesterday, on pace for 93 wins).
I was referring to the last 2 games.
And like I said they will play better.
And it's nice outside, and I'm going to cut out of work early, and I'm not drunk and angry right now.
A new fucking day!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »
I think some of them are playing poorly. Hoffpauir for instance. Lou said yesterday that Reed Johnson will get the starts from now on unless Bradley is ready and able. He said they'll be looking for defense instead of trying to get more offense. I don't know about you statmankissers, but I positive the shit out of that. Our manager is steak tits.

EDIT: Oops. Wrong account.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
Quote from: Apex on April 24, 2009, 09:06:49 AM
I think some of them are playing poorly. Hoffpauir for instance. Lou said yesterday that Reed Johnson will get the starts from now on unless Bradley is ready and able. He said they'll be looking for defense instead of trying to get more offense. I don't know about you statmankissers, but I positive the shit out of that. Our manager is steak tits.

Well, this statmankisser thinks Lou is acting like an ADD-riddled five-year-old. We know Hoffpauir isn't great defensively, but defense wasn't the reason the Cubs lost yesterday. I don't like the idea of benching a guy who's actually hitting pretty well so that Reed Johnson can face more right-handed pitching.  If Hoffpauir keeps bumbling around out there, then maybe make a change, but c'mon.  Benching him after one mistake?  That's dumb.

Hope you got the reaction you were looking for.