News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,926 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2009, 12:29:21 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on May 10, 2009, 12:08:38 PM
Quote from: BH on May 10, 2009, 11:55:23 AM
"Chad Fox, who has already had three Tommy John surgeries and left last night's game with an elbow injury, is being replaced by 24-year old right-handed reliever Jose Ascanio, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune.

Ascanio was 1-1 with a 1.01 ERA in six starts for Triple-A Iowa, says Sullivan."

It's da return of da mothafuckin' Ass Can, yo. If he had those numbers at AAA why wasn't he called up ahead of Chad Fox? The "brain" trust must have seen something they didn't like. Either that or they were hell-bent on absolving Dusty for Chad Fox's 2005 arm popping incident. As far as I'm concerned the other day was irrefutable proof that it was nobody's fault. The dude shouldn't have been playing pro ball at any level either time. I blame whoever gave the guy a jersey.

It's great how our organization can't decide if people are starting pitchers or relievers.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
"Chad Fox, who has already had three Tommy John surgeries and left last night's game with an elbow injury, is being replaced by 24-year old right-handed reliever Jose Ascanio, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune.

Ascanio was 1-1 with a 1.01 ERA in six starts for Triple-A Iowa, says Sullivan."

It's da return of da mothafuckin' Ass Can, yo. If he had those numbers at AAA why wasn't he called up ahead of Chad Fox? The "brain" trust must have seen something they didn't like. Either that or they were hell-bent on absolving Dusty for Chad Fox's 2005 arm popping incident. As far as I'm concerned the other day was irrefutable proof that it was nobody's fault. The dude shouldn't have been playing pro ball at any level either time. I blame whoever gave the guy a jersey.

Also, why the hell are the Cubs so petrified of losing David Patton?  This isn't some rebuilding low-payroll team that can afford to carry a shitty Rule V pick on the roster hoping he pans out.  Send him down to the minors and if the Rockies want him back then so be it.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
Quote from: BH on May 10, 2009, 12:29:21 PM

It's great how our organization can't decide if people are starting pitchers or relievers.

That's true. When OUR organization can't make up it's mind it's all kinds of awesome. When Jimbo and them can't do it, it makes me want to punch dolphins in their blow hole until they bust open and bleed.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »
Quote from: RV on August 25, 2008, 02:20:17 PM
An-hell Goozman's eephus* will eat the flesh of the people who don't believe in him or have forgotten about him.

* May not throw an actual eephus pitch.

What that guy said. Last 8 appearances: 11.2 IP, 2.31 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 11 Ks.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »
Quote from: RV on May 10, 2009, 06:34:51 PM
An-hell Goozman's eephus* will eat the flesh of the people who don't believe in him or have forgotten about him.

Andrew Peck likes this.

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2009, 07:41:56 AM »
Quote from: RV on May 10, 2009, 06:34:51 PM

An-hell has gotten Lou's memo about throwing strikes, and he does have some serious shit.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
Fox had a 1.59 ERA at Iowa, so, it's Iowa. 

Lou basically said that Wells is staying (though if he craps out in his next start all bets are off) and either he or Marshall will go to the bullpen when Z comes back.  Samardzija will be back at some point.  Ascanio showed promise last year but he got rocked progressively harder as May turned into June and then July.  But he's only "24".

I would think there's enough there to cobble together a bullpen, just not with Patton or Cotts.  Holy shit does Neal Cotts suck.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
Quote from: Andy on May 11, 2009, 09:56:06 AM

Lou basically said that Wells is staying (though if he craps out in his next start all bets are off) and either he or Marshall will go to the bullpen when Z comes back.  Samardzija will be back at some point.  Ascanio showed promise last year but he got rocked progressively harder as May turned into June and then July.  But he's only "24".

I would think there's enough there to cobble together a bullpen, just not with Patton or Cotts.  Holy shit does Neal Cotts suck.

The Patton experiment needs to end now. That'd be a step in the right direction.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2009, 10:02:20 AM »

Jesus, what does that poor kid have to do to stick in the rotation?  Pray that Carmen Pignatiello can replace Neal Cotts as the only shitty lefty in the bullpen?
Hire Jim Essian!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on May 11, 2009, 10:01:49 AM

The Patton experiment needs to end now. That'd be a step in the right direction.

I concur. He didn't spend all that time in the sticks because of a clerical oversight.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Lukester

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
Quote from: Fork on May 11, 2009, 10:05:03 AM
Quote from: Slakee on May 11, 2009, 10:01:49 AM

I concur. He didn't spend all that time in the sticks because of a clerical oversight.

I thought the whole logic behind Patton playing in the bigs was the "he doesn't get rattled" theory.   (I think Lou said this?)    Which,  I suppose is a good thing.   But it shouldn't be the reason to get promoted.    If that was the case Zambrano would have never got out of Pony League.     

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
I thought the reason Patton was playing in the bigs was because he was a Rule 5 selection and he has to remain on the roster the entire year or he gets returned to his team or something (I'm pretty sure to be corrected on this, but I hope I'm on the right track).
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 11, 2009, 11:01:33 AM
I thought the reason Patton was playing in the bigs was because he was a Rule 5 selection and he has to remain on the roster the entire year or he gets returned to his team or something (I'm pretty sure to be corrected on this, but I hope I'm on the right track).

That is correct. Good idea for a team that has no chance of the playoffs, doesn't make sense for a team that does. Pretty certain Patton will not be Johan Santana.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 11, 2009, 10:02:20 AM

Jesus, what does that poor kid have to do to stick in the rotation?  Pray that Carmen Pignatiello can replace Neal Cotts as the only shitty lefty in the bullpen?

He needs to play for a GM who has a fucking clue how to put together a bullpen. Marshall's done more than enough earn a rotation spot.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2009, 11:20:46 AM »
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on May 11, 2009, 11:16:42 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 11, 2009, 10:02:20 AM

He needs to play for a GM who has a fucking clue how to put together a bullpen. Marshall's done more than enough earn a rotation spot.

I agree.  But, right now I'd much rather have a combination of Randy Wells/Jeff Samardzija/Kevin Foster/Ruben Quevedo as the fifth starter and Sean Marshall taking over for Cotts in the pen.  Because, y'know, Cotts sucks and all.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.