News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,928 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #405 on: July 13, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 13, 2009, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 13, 2009, 08:27:09 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on July 13, 2009, 12:07:42 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 13, 2009, 12:04:58 AM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on July 12, 2009, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: Weebs on July 12, 2009, 09:31:19 PM
This is the most bizarre inning of professional baseball I've ever seen in my life.

You figure if there's any such thing as baseball momentum...that getting out of that goofy ass situation allowing no runs would yield something in the bottom of the 9th inning.

...like three of the shittiest at-bats of the entire season.

Why?  Because 2 of the 3 batters were rung up on pitches out of the zone?  Reed trapped the ball, so it's hard to complain about the umping, but the strike zone in the bottom of the 9th was completely different from what it was the rest of the game.

Really? I seem to remember Wells getting those calls all night too. Maybe I'm wrong. Can a STATFAG back me up? Or prove me wrong? Either way is fine for me

Here's Wells' strikezone as plotted by Pitch F/X data:

Here's Franklin's:

So Wells got 12 calls outside the zone in 7IP, while Franklin got 5 in 1IP. 

God damn, you talk about Pittsburgh the umpires a lot.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: July 13, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 13, 2009, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 13, 2009, 08:27:09 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on July 13, 2009, 12:07:42 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 13, 2009, 12:04:58 AM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on July 12, 2009, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: Weebs on July 12, 2009, 09:31:19 PM
This is the most bizarre inning of professional baseball I've ever seen in my life.

You figure if there's any such thing as baseball momentum...that getting out of that goofy ass situation allowing no runs would yield something in the bottom of the 9th inning.

...like three of the shittiest at-bats of the entire season.

Why?  Because 2 of the 3 batters were rung up on pitches out of the zone?  Reed trapped the ball, so it's hard to complain about the umping, but the strike zone in the bottom of the 9th was completely different from what it was the rest of the game.

Really? I seem to remember Wells getting those calls all night too. Maybe I'm wrong. Can a STATFAG back me up? Or prove me wrong? Either way is fine for me

Here's Wells' strikezone as plotted by Pitch F/X data:

Here's Franklin's:

So Wells got 12 calls outside the zone in 7IP, while Franklin got 5 in 1IP. 

You're just going to continue whining about the umpires no matter what I type, so instead of wasting my own time, I'll direct you to look at this link: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/strike-zone-fact-vs-fiction

Edit: Also, I agree with what Eli said.

Fake Edit: You're insufferable.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: July 13, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »
If CFiHP rails against arbiters in the courtroom as habitually as he rails against arbiters on the playing fields, he'll have a shorter career than Moonlight Greenberg.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: July 13, 2009, 03:16:26 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 13, 2009, 03:15:04 PM
If CFiHP rails against arbiters in the courtroom as habitually as he rails against arbiters on the playing fields and rinks, he'll have a shorter career than Moonlight Greenberg.

Pens fan'd.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: July 13, 2009, 03:32:21 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 13, 2009, 03:15:04 PM
If CFiHP rails against arbiters in the courtroom as habitually as he rails against arbiters on the playing fields, he'll have a shorter career than Moonlight Greenberg.

Eh, can't be fined for contempt here.   And I was just trying to make a tongue in cheek "statfag" type observation.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #410 on: July 13, 2009, 07:23:17 PM »
Since I haven't chimed in about last night's umpiring yet...

That home plate umpire sucked ass.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: July 13, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
Quote from: BC on July 13, 2009, 07:23:17 PM

I thought you had chimed in.

Wait, you and CFiHP aren't the same person?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: July 13, 2009, 08:42:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 13, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

I can't be the only that's noticed BC's become a lot more sufferable, right?

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #413 on: July 13, 2009, 08:56:06 PM »
Quote from: Slak on July 13, 2009, 08:42:14 PM

Anyone who cares about being a real statfag will be able to compile some statistics on his posts to really have a basis for comparison.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #414 on: July 13, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »

Don't worry, the Bears and Illini football will be starting soon enough. I usually can keep myself in check with just one team to worry about, but when it gets to 3 in September (And, maybe, October) I can't contain myself.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: July 14, 2009, 12:14:16 AM »
Quote from: powen01 on July 13, 2009, 08:56:06 PM

Anyone who cares about being a real statfag will be able to compile some statistics on his posts to really have a basis for comparison.

Interesting. Here's a chart which tracks the number of posts by BC per Slak post for each month over the last year.

Hypothesis: Slak finds BC more "sufferable" when there is less interaction between the two.

Interpreting the chart, months with a low BC/Slak ratio represent spans where Slak was posting quite a bit while BC maintained a lower profile on the messageboard. These months should coincide with less interaction between the two and a heightened perception of "BC sufferability" by Slak (or vice versa. Shockingly, July, 2009 is witness to a huge spike in the BC/Slak ratio.

Two possible interpretations:
a) The hypothesis is not refuted, yet needs slight modification. This could be the case if Slak's opinion of BC is time-lagged and his perception of BC's increased sufferability is actually a delayed reaction to the BC/Slak ratio experienced over the preceding months. Of note: BC made only one post in April and 8 posts in both May and June, while not even halfway through July, his post count for the ongoing month stands at 16. If this is true, then Slak should find BC to be abnormally insufferable during the upcoming month.

b) The hypothesis is refuted (aka "familiarity breeds non-contempt"). This could be the case if BC's increase in posting has lead Slak to perceive a greater amount of commonality. However, for this hypothesis to hold true, more data regarding the nature of Slak's perceptions of BC's sufferability during the preceding months would need to be collected.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: July 14, 2009, 12:37:52 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 14, 2009, 12:14:16 AM

Interesting. Here's a chart which tracks the number of posts by BC per Slak post for each month over the last year.

Hypothesis: Slak finds BC more "sufferable" when there is less interaction between the two.

Interpreting the chart, months with a low BC/Slak ratio represent spans where Slak was posting quite a bit while BC maintained a lower profile on the messageboard. These months should coincide with less interaction between the two and a heightened perception of "BC sufferability" by Slak (or vice versa. Shockingly, July, 2009 is witness to a huge spike in the BC/Slak ratio.

a) The hypothesis is not refuted, yet needs slight modification. This could be the case if Slak's opinion of BC is time-lagged and his perception of BC's increased sufferability is actually a delayed reaction to the BC/Slak ratio experienced over the preceding months. Of note: BC made only one post in April and 8 posts in both May and June, while not even halfway through July, his post count for the ongoing month stands at 16. If this is true, then Slak should find BC to be abnormally insufferable during the upcoming month.

b) The hypothesis is refuted (aka "familiarity breeds non-contempt"). This could be the case if BC's increase in posting has lead Slak to perceive a greater amount of commonality. However, for this hypothesis to hold true, more data regarding the nature of Slak's perceptions of BC's sufferability during the preceding months would need to be collected.

Awesome.

Looking forward to the peer review.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: July 14, 2009, 08:40:31 AM »

BC = Before Christ

Slak = Jesus
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: July 14, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »

Ladies and gentleman I give you marijuana.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: July 14, 2009, 10:03:02 AM »

Might I propose a third interpretation?

The number of posts per month is not necessarily directly proportional to the amount of interaction between BC and Slak, nor does it give us any indication of the quality of such interactions.  Therefore, the posts per month ratio by itself is a flawed statistic, and you need to invent a new one with a clever acronym.
Hire Jim Essian!