News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,292 )

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #390 on: November 20, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »
Quote from: Taylor2 on November 20, 2008, 08:04:35 AM
Quote from: TJ on November 20, 2008, 07:45:49 AM
Do we have an unlimited supply of medical care? How do we increase the supply? What is the baseline level of care a government should guarantee for someone?  Would others be allowed to purchase insurance above and beyond that?

Will we have to sharply regulate everyone's activity level to keep health care costs down? At what level will the government use the "YOU'RE COSTING US TAXPAYER MONEY" to regulate your choices regarding diet, beverages, exercise activity, tobacco use.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the health care program in this country is your lack of choice over your insurance provider (and your inability to hold said insurer accountable) and in turn, your limited choice over health care provider (and your inability, except through malpractice suits, to hold said provider accountable).  The thought of decoupling your health insurance from your employer is intriguing for three reasons:

1. You wouldn't have to stay at an otherwise shitty job out of fear of losing your health care benefits.
2. Losing your job wouldn't be as catastrophic if you are buying health insurance out of pocket. Do any of you know how much your COBRA payment would be if you lost your job?
3. You would be able to shop around for the best coverage for you.

Now, I understand the whole problem with pre-existing conditions, but I think this problem is better served through the private market than through government. Who among you would want a Bush Administration appointee administering your health care? Me neither.

Don't worry about it TJ or anything else for that matter. The house negro is going to take care of us forever.

And if he doesn't, I bet a racist strawman could come through in a pinch.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #391 on: November 20, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »
Quote from: Furious George on November 20, 2008, 08:41:02 AM
Do we have an unlimited supply of medical care? How do we increase the supply? What is the baseline level of care a government should guarantee for someone?  Would others be allowed to purchase insurance above and beyond that?

Will we have to sharply regulate everyone's activity level to keep health care costs down? At what level will the government use the "YOU'RE COSTING US TAXPAYER MONEY" to regulate your choices regarding diet, beverages, exercise activity, tobacco use.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the health care program in this country is your lack of choice over your insurance provider (and your inability to hold said insurer accountable) and in turn, your limited choice over health care provider (and your inability, except through malpractice suits, to hold said provider accountable).  The thought of decoupling your health insurance from your employer is intriguing for three reasons:

1. You wouldn't have to stay at an otherwise shitty job out of fear of losing your health care benefits.
2. Losing your job wouldn't be as catastrophic if you are buying health insurance out of pocket. Do any of you know how much your COBRA payment would be if you lost your job?

Now, I understand the whole problem with pre-existing conditions, but I think this problem is better served through the private market than through government. Who among you would want a Bush Administration appointee administering your health care? Me neither.

Don't worry about it TJ or anything else for that matter. The house negro is going to take care of us forever.

I was going to say, is citing Al-Qaeda authoritative now?  I thought they were evil and that even listening to them may cause one to become a terrorist?

Taylor2

• Taylor2. Now with more sarcastic venom.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #392 on: November 20, 2008, 09:15:51 AM »

If he doesn't? Heresy!!!!! He's bringing real change to Washington. If he doesn't? Do you doubt for any second his ability to bring hope to all of us? It's racist to even think that he is not the most sucessful president-elect in our history.
01/20/2013

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #393 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »

2. Losing your job wouldn't be as catastrophic if you are buying health insurance out of pocket. Do any of you know how much your COBRA payment would be if you lost your job?3. You would be able to shop around for the best coverage for you.

Mine would be in the neighborhood of $1000.00 a month.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #394 on: November 20, 2008, 09:29:45 AM »
From The Economist:

QuoteThe Republicans lost the battle of ideas even more comprehensively than they lost the battle for educated votes, marching into the election armed with nothing more than slogans. Energy? Just drill, baby, drill. Global warming? Crack a joke about Ozone Al. Immigration? Send the bums home. Torture and Guantánamo? Wear a T-shirt saying you would rather be water-boarding. Ha ha. During the primary debates, three out of ten Republican candidates admitted that they did not believe in evolution.

QuoteWhy is this happening? One reason is that conservative brawn has lost patience with brains of all kinds, conservative or liberal. Many conservatives—particularly lower-income ones—are consumed with elemental fury about everything from immigration to liberal do-gooders. They take their opinions from talk-radio hosts such as Rush Limbaugh and the deeply unsubtle Sean Hannity. And they regard Mrs Palin's apparent ignorance not as a problem but as a badge of honour.

Another reason is the degeneracy of the conservative intelligentsia itself, a modern-day version of the 1970s liberals it arose to do battle with: trapped in an ideological cocoon, defined by its outer fringes, ruled by dynasties and incapable of adjusting to a changed world. The movement has little to say about today's pressing problems, such as global warming and the debacle in Iraq, and expends too much of its energy on xenophobia, homophobia and opposing stem-cell research.

Conservative intellectuals are also engaged in their own version of what Julian Benda dubbed la trahison des clercs, the treason of the learned. They have fallen into constructing cartoon images of "real Americans", with their "volkish" wisdom and charming habit of dropping their "g"s. Mrs Palin was invented as a national political force by Beltway journalists from the Weekly Standard and the National Review who met her when they were on luxury cruises around Alaska, and then noisily championed her cause.

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12599247

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #395 on: November 20, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
Quote from: Taylor2 on November 20, 2008, 09:15:51 AM

If he doesn't? Heresy!!!!! He's bringing real change to Washington. If he doesn't? Do you doubt for any second his ability to bring hope to all of us? It's racist to even think that he is not the most sucessful president-elect in our history.

No, it's racist to cite a racist's racist comment in an effort to make an absurd political argument that has no apparent grounding in facts or truth.  The man has been president-elect for about two weeks, how about waiting until he's actually empowered to propose and sign legislation before criticizing the man.

Or do you believe that this is "The Obama Recession?"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #396 on: November 20, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
Quote from: Simmer on November 19, 2008, 08:58:24 PM
I will not comment on health care.

I actually think it might be enlightening, given your experience.

There are problems TJ's idea of making health care private, but I'll agree that having it tied to employment is faulty as well.  Personally, I switched jobs this summer and my new position didn't cover health insurance until I'd been there three months.  So I bought short-term health insurance -- which always sucks -- in case of emergency.  During that short three-month time period, I had such an emergency and had to go to the hospital.  Since the short-term health insurance sucked, like all short-term health insurance, I'm now stuck with a medical bill that is larger than my bank account.  I'm not sure how I'm going to pay it, but I have to.

I don't have a specific complaint, but it seems unfair (I'm a liberal; that's my favorite word) that I've been employed at good jobs ever since I've been out of college, yet I still am stuck in a situation like this.

And my case isn't nearly as bad as yours.  Mostly just shitty luck, actually.  I just wanted to point out that something is broken.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #397 on: November 20, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 20, 2008, 09:39:53 AM
Since the short-term health insurance sucked, like all short-term health insurance, I'm now stuck with a medical bill that is larger than my bank account.  I'm not sure how I'm going to pay it, but I have to.
Petition the feds for a bailout.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club

Taylor, it's funny. I have been able to suggest that Obama won't be especially successful as President, yet no one beyond the most idiotic would suggest this as evidence I am racist.

I'm not doing cartwheels since Obama won, but he deserves the respect the Office of the President commands.

Taylor2

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #399 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on November 20, 2008, 09:32:56 AM

No, it's racist to cite a racist's racist comment in an effort to make an absurd political argument that has no apparent grounding in facts or truth.  The man has been president-elect for about two weeks, how about waiting until he's actually empowered to propose and sign legislation before criticizing the man.

Didn't I just write that he's the greatest president-elect ever? He's certainly the first to create his own president-elect seal. The bestest thing is how much change he'll bring to Washington with his adminstration.

As for educated voters. I couldn't agree more. These educated people would never vote Republican.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!
01/20/2013

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #400 on: November 20, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on November 20, 2008, 09:32:56 AM

The market is just pricing in the tragedy to come.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #401 on: November 20, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
Quote from: Taylor2 on November 20, 2008, 09:49:33 AM
As for educated voters. I couldn't agree more. These educated people would never vote Republican.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

The guy behind that is a real winner:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/interview-with-john-ziegler-on-zogby.html

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
Taylor, what are you doing man?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #403 on: November 20, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 20, 2008, 09:46:37 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 20, 2008, 09:39:53 AM
Since the short-term health insurance sucked, like all short-term health insurance, I'm now stuck with a medical bill that is larger than my bank account.  I'm not sure how I'm going to pay it, but I have to.
Petition the feds for a bailout.

I was actually thinking about asking various bankers and bloggers.

Taylor2

• Hank White Fan Club
Quote from: TJ on November 20, 2008, 09:48:15 AM

Taylor, it's funny. I have been able to suggest that Obama won't be especially successful as President, yet no one beyond the most idiotic would suggest this as evidence I am racist.

I'm not doing cartwheels since Obama won, but he deserves the respect the Office of the President commands.

TJ, I'm giving our president-elect all of the respect that the left gave George Bush when he stoled won the election 8 years ago. Remember now dissent is the highest form of patriotism, but not after November 4, 2008.
01/20/2013