News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,297 )

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #615 on: February 16, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 16, 2009, 12:36:49 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2009, 12:27:53 PM
What does this even mean?

Yeti's such a free market advocate, he considers technology and rational thought to be unfair regulation, like the sharp lashes of a school marm's wooden spoon to the invisible hand of his feral jungle Thunderdome.

I've decided that the best route to take is the obvious one. The free-thinking left winger types are right. I will now fall in line.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #616 on: February 16, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 12:51:23 PM

Yeti's such a free market advocate, he considers technology and rational thought to be unfair regulation, like the sharp lashes of a school marm's wooden spoon to the invisible hand of his feral jungle Thunderdome.

I've decided that the best route to take is the obvious one. The free-thinking left winger types are right. I will now fall in line.

Quote"Given sufficient time, the non-random survival of hereditary entities (which occasionally miscopy) will generate complexity, diversity, beauty, and an illusion of design so persuasive that it is almost impossible to distinguish from deliberate intelligent design."

Just read this over and over until you see.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: February 16, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 12:51:23 PM

Congratulations. You're starting to understand evolution.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
You should be able to send your kids to a public school and not have to worry about them being exposed to a theory based on a religion you don't believe in. Let them teach creationism in Sunday school. Isn't it that simple? What am I missing here?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: butthead on February 16, 2009, 01:23:22 PM
You should be able to send your kids to a public school and not have to worry about them being exposed to a theory based on a religion you don't believe in. Let them teach creationism in Sunday school. Isn't it that simple? What am I missing here?

Thank you. Why is that such a hard concept to get across? I don't want the govenrment imposing a religion on me or any children I would have if I wasn't so goddamned gay. Even if that religion turns out to be true, it's not the government's call.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on February 16, 2009, 01:35:01 PM

Thank you. Why is that such a hard concept to get across? I don't want the govenrment imposing a religion on me or any children I would have if I wasn't so goddamned gay. Even if that religion turns out to be true, it's not the government's call.

Or just tell your mom that you don't want to learn that and she'll teach you how to write cursive instead. 
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: February 16, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »

The fact that explicit dualists do not generally object to the flush toilet, perhaps.  Naive monist materialism is plainly "magical," in that "mind" is kind of a problem, and the presence of multiple minds requires the tacit assumption of "buckets" to hold them, and a way for them to interact, which does not remain monist for long.  Sophisticated monist materialism instead asserts that you are a machine.  The whole thing devolves into a fractious argument that is nonetheless "religious" on nearly all fronts.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: RV on February 16, 2009, 09:32:51 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 09:29:54 AMI believe that evolution occurs. I don't fully subscribe to the Apes to man thing, but that's the main objection that I have.

Uh, maybe I'm being obtuse, but isn't that kind of the whole idea of evolution? That's like saying you like the Cubs except for the whole baseball part.
What's the problem with that?

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: February 16, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 16, 2009, 02:04:46 PM

The fact that explicit dualists do not generally object to the flush toilet, perhaps.  Naive monist materialism is plainly "magical," in that "mind" is kind of a problem, and the presence of multiple minds requires the tacit assumption of "buckets" to hold them, and a way for them to interact, which does not remain monist for long.  Sophisticated monist materialism instead asserts that you are a machine.  The whole thing devolves into a fractious argument that is nonetheless "religious" on nearly all fronts.

At which limits of empirical observation the question ceases to be a properly "scientific" one, but rather one of metaphysics.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
Then someone tell me WHY man evolved from apes.
Because homo sapiens could better adapt to the environment compared to homo neanderthalensis and homo erectus.  See, if it got cold, sapient life could build a hut for protection.  Their brains were big enough to discover farming.  That led to survival in harsh climates and more food to enable larger broods.  Larger broods competed and beat out the other species in the homo genus for the best places to live.  That made the poor adaptability of the other species a major problem and they died out.

It's not survival of the strongest, it's survival of the fittest.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 16, 2009, 02:19:51 PM

I'm doomed either way.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: butthead on February 16, 2009, 02:21:31 PM

I'm doomed either way.

If it's survival of the hairiest, you're golden.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »

Survival of the fit.  It's a tautology.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: February 16, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 10:15:21 AM
Then someone tell me WHY man evolved from apes.
Because homo sapiens could better adapt to the environment compared to homo neanderthalensis and homo erectus.  See, if it got cold, sapient life could build a hut for protection.  Their brains were big enough to discover farming.  That led to survival in harsh climates and more food to enable larger broods.  Larger broods competed and beat out the other species in the homo genus for the best places to live.  That made the poor adaptability of the other species a major problem and they died out.

It's not even "survival of the fittest," really, considering the fittest species aren't the only ones to survive.

It's more like: "survival of those fit enough to reproduce."

Edit: What Wheezer said.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #629 on: February 16, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 16, 2009, 02:24:13 PM

Survival of the fit.  It's a tautology.

The definition of fit in biology has always been problematic for that reason.