News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,297 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 01:25:19 PM
Quote from: Slakee on February 17, 2009, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 01:15:51 PM
Quote from: Slakee on February 17, 2009, 01:09:11 PM
Quote from: BH on February 17, 2009, 12:46:06 PM
Quote from: RV on February 17, 2009, 12:43:43 PM
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 12:40:28 PM
College words. This is why we don't see winged spiders or wolves with horns.

A wolf with horns would be pretty badass. Stupid evolution.

And yet we end up with a zebra-horse hybrid... wtf.

Is the full question wtf is the coolest shit ever? The answer is zorse.

Yeah, but imagine a zorse with horns and wings.

You mean a Pegazorse? Yeah, we got those too.

HORNED Pegazorses? That's awesome.

Perhaps, a Unipegazorse? Antelopegazorse? Oh shit yeah.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slakee on February 17, 2009, 01:27:37 PM

Sure, Slak. Just go on pretending like the Pegazorselope doesn't exist.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #722 on: February 17, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2009, 01:24:25 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on February 17, 2009, 12:28:46 PM
Also, evolution and any Christian faith are 100% incompatible.  God could not have "created" a random process.  It ultimately doesn't jive with omnipotence, and it implies absolute predestination.  If "evolution" as it is scientifically understood is really the work of God, then not only did it (thinking of God as having a gender is just retarded--and reveals a lot about the size of the mind of those who think of God as 'He') set the wheels in motion, but it knew what every outcome for every living entity at all points in time would be at the point it set the wheels in motion.  If it didn't know this outcome, then it wouldn't be omnipotent.

I think your understanding of Christian theology and its history is lacking. I gather that you're not a Christian (or religious at all), so you probably don't give a shit, nor should you.

At the same time, it's pretty uncharitable to project what you seem to assume others' beliefs should entail onto their faith only for the sake of calling bullshit on it.

Questions of free will vs. determinism are hardly the sole province of Christian theologians. They also comes into play in decidedly atheistic philosophical debates over physicalism, for example. And some Christian theologians have in fact embraced predestination, notably by Augustine and Calvin.

As for the implications of omnipotence, you're hardly the first to raise this difficulty, among many others.

In short, these very issues have been debated and wrestled with and mulled over by some tremendous thinkers for centuries. You may well find their answers to these questions unconvincing or just plain bullshit.

But don't just flatly assume that they were all ignorant or unthinking because you think you've found some Achilles heel paradox that must have simply never occurred to them.

And honestly, any religion capable of espousing something as bizarre and counter-intuitive as the Trinity (following a heavy dose of old school Greek philosophy) is surely capable of reconciling creation with evolution.

I already know the answer to this, but...

Does it bother anyone else that so much intellectual energy has been wasted on questions of FAITH when that energy could have been used to actually advance human kind and further our understanding of the world?

One gram of special mushrooms as 19 year olds could have cleared all this up long ago.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Also, evolution and any Christian faith are 100% incompatible.  God could not have "created" a random process.  It ultimately doesn't jive with omnipotence, and it implies absolute predestination.  If "evolution" as it is scientifically understood is really the work of God, then not only did it (thinking of God as having a gender is just retarded--and reveals a lot about the size of the mind of those who think of God as 'He') set the wheels in motion, but it knew what every outcome for every living entity at all points in time would be at the point it set the wheels in motion.  If it didn't know this outcome, then it wouldn't be omnipotent.

I think your understanding of Christian theology and its history is lacking. I gather that you're not a Christian (or religious at all), so you probably don't give a shit, nor should you.

At the same time, it's pretty uncharitable to project what you seem to assume others' beliefs should entail onto their faith only for the sake of calling bullshit on it.

Questions of free will vs. determinism are hardly the sole province of Christian theologians. They also comes into play in decidedly atheistic philosophical debates over physicalism, for example. And some Christian theologians have in fact embraced predestination, notably by Augustine and Calvin.

As for the implications of omnipotence, you're hardly the first to raise this difficulty, among many others.

In short, these very issues have been debated and wrestled with and mulled over by some tremendous thinkers for centuries. You may well find their answers to these questions unconvincing or just plain bullshit.

But don't just flatly assume that they were all ignorant or unthinking because you think you've found some Achilles heel paradox that must have simply never occurred to them.

And honestly, any religion capable of espousing something as bizarre and counter-intuitive as the Trinity (following a heavy dose of old school Greek philosophy) is surely capable of reconciling creation with evolution.

I had a Word document on my computer coming to almost three pages, including a discussion of Calvin's interpretation of predestination and Descartes discussion of the omnipotence paradox; however, this is probably the best response to the aforementioned comment earlier.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #724 on: February 17, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 17, 2009, 02:25:06 PM

Does it bother anyone else that so much intellectual energy has been wasted on questions of FAITH when that energy could have been used to actually advance human kind and further our understanding of the world?

One gram of special mushrooms as 19 year olds could have cleared all this up long ago.

Ah, the Bill Hicks plan.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: ChuckD on February 17, 2009, 02:05:49 PM
Quote from: Slakee on February 17, 2009, 01:27:37 PM

Sure, Slak. Just go on pretending like the Pegazorselope doesn't exist.

What an age we live in.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #726 on: February 17, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 02:28:19 PM

Ah, the Bill Hicks plan.

I pray my Labor Board overlords don't read this, but as another individual who has dabbled with the psychotropic, I can say that it did nothing to diminish my curiosity into matters of faith and reason.  Just trying to comprehend the theory of a multiverse, which some theorize could contain alternate universes which to us would be akin to an afterlife or other form of eschatology, furthered my own personal interest into matters of faith.

Plus, Mrs. G is a pretty staunch Catholic, which leads to very active discussions between the two of us.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #727 on: February 17, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on February 17, 2009, 02:33:35 PM

Ah, the Bill Hicks plan.

I pray my Labor Board overlords don't read this, but as another individual who has dabbled with the psychotropic, I can say that it did nothing to diminish my curiosity into matters of faith and reason.  Just trying to comprehend the theory of a multiverse, which some theorize could contain alternate universes which to us would be akin to an afterlife or other form of eschatology, furthered my own personal interest into matters of faith.

Plus, Mrs. G is a pretty staunch Catholic, which leads to very active discussions between the two of us.

My experiences with psychotropics never opened me up to anything I wasn't already open to, to be honest.

I get what you're saying though. It reminds me of the fact that my strongly atheistic materialism has never once diminished my wonder at the universe. If anything, the less faith I have in the supernatural, the more in awe I am at life's diversity.

Especially Pegazorselopes.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #728 on: February 17, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #729 on: February 17, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 02:38:56 PM

Ah, the Bill Hicks plan.

My experiences with psychotropics never opened me up to anything I wasn't already open to, to be honest.

I get what you're saying though. It reminds me of the fact that my strongly atheistic materialism has never once diminished my wonder at the universe. If anything, the less faith I have in the supernatural, the more in awe I am at life's diversity.

Or Jackalopes?  Or Mothmen?  Or The Jersey Devil?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #730 on: February 17, 2009, 02:45:52 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on February 17, 2009, 02:44:17 PM

Ah, the Bill Hicks plan.

Let's not get carried away. Only one of those is real.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #731 on: February 17, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 02:45:52 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on February 17, 2009, 02:44:17 PM

Ah, the Bill Hicks plan.

Let's not get carried away. Only one of those is real.

Which one though?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #732 on: February 17, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »

You spend hours and hours in this place, but you think it's a waste of time to discuss faith, reason, meaning, etc.?  After all, you could have been out advancing human kind and furthering your understand of the world.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #733 on: February 17, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 17, 2009, 03:00:39 PM

You spend hours and hours in this place, but you think it's a waste of time to discuss faith, reason, meaning, etc.?  After all, you could have been out advancing human kind and furthering your understand of the world.

Sounds like someone needs a reprogramming.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
In all seriousness, it sometimes seems as if the human mind will stop at no lengths to invent distractions from all things important. 
M'lady.