News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,294 )

MikeC

• Fukakke Fan Club
Repercussions of Obama's attempts to undercut bondholders...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jmT59dgLTTziX4p9X9MRBRpWZGdQD981KVDG4

QuoteWeak demand at a Treasury bond auction touched off worries in the stock market Thursday about the government's ability to raise funds to fight the recession.

The government had to pay greater interest than expected in a sale of 30-year Treasurys. That is worrisome to traders because it could signal that it will become harder for Washington to finance its ambitious economic recovery plans. The higher interest rates also could push up costs for borrowing in areas like mortgages.

Who the hell wants to buy bonds from the government when they have already shown the ability to fuck over bond holders.

By the way congrats to Obama on losing 2 million jobs on his watch, that 787 billion stimulus and 700 billion bailout package are working brilliantly.

Hail Neifi, full of hacks, thy glove is with thee

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MikeC on May 08, 2009, 09:14:56 AM

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jmT59dgLTTziX4p9X9MRBRpWZGdQD981KVDG4

QuoteWeak demand at a Treasury bond auction touched off worries in the stock market Thursday about the government's ability to raise funds to fight the recession.

The government had to pay greater interest than expected in a sale of 30-year Treasurys. That is worrisome to traders because it could signal that it will become harder for Washington to finance its ambitious economic recovery plans. The higher interest rates also could push up costs for borrowing in areas like mortgages.

Who the hell wants to buy bonds from the government when they have already shown the ability to fuck over bond holders.

By the way congrats to Obama on losing 2 million jobs on his watch, that 787 billion stimulus and 700 billion bailout package are working brilliantly.

You are fucking ridiculous, you know that? Why don't you take a little time away from the Michelle Malkin (and whatever other tripe you eat with both hands), and apply a little root cause analysis to the economic problem, instead of blaming the fire department for the house being on fire?

Then maybe, just maybe, you'll stop your feeble attempts to pin all this on Obama.

Sheesh. you fucked up a perfectly good Friday.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

This is dumb, even for you.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on May 08, 2009, 08:43:13 AM
Quote from: RV on May 07, 2009, 04:31:18 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 07, 2009, 04:16:25 PM
I will let our resident bankers comment on The One's Fiefdom here in  Illinois.

Last December, the former Governor (for whom our President supported in Gubernatorial Elections at least thrice) threatened to pull all state business from BofA if it pulled the plug on Republic Windows. Unfortunately, Patrick Fitzgerald (the bum that The One's predecessor in the US Senate recommended for the job more or less sealing his fate in IL) had the FBI bring The One's choice for Governor twice and Republic remained open so we'd never know if The One's choice for Gov. would have made good on that threat.

Now, The One's mobbed-up choice for state treasurer takes time away from buying new cars for the poorly performing Bright Start Savings Plan (a failure he blames on Oppenheimer Funds, one of the big losers in The One's Chrysler deal) to stomp his feet in front  of HartMarx, the venerable suit maker (one of The One's favorites). Apparently, big bad Wells Fargo (which, incidentally, is undercapitalized) might approve a sale to one of two groups that could attempt to keep the Des Plaines and Rock Island factories open. It also might have to liquidate if it doesn't come to a deal.

Thoughts?

This would be a lot easier to comprehend without the cute nicknames.

But calling him "The One" is so funny!  Even after all this time!
Why, yes, it is.

I agree that Bush blew a ton of political capital, but when Obama had political capital in Illinois in 2006, he stood with Giannoulias, Blagojevich and Todd Stroger when he could have stayed in Washington. His endorsement of Stroger (and non-endorsement of Forest Claypool in the Spring primary) would actually be fuckup No. 2 (after Chuck's correct assertion that Giannoulias was fuckup No. 1). Fuckup No. 3 would be not supporting someone -- anyone in the 2006 Dem. Gov. primary.

So Obama left us with a mess in Illinois and three months later left his Senate seat virtually vacant during his Presidential campaign.  This isn't Obama's crime as much as a symptom of a broken primary system that requires a nearly 2-year campaign. But, after all the fawning over the guy -- he's eminently likable, and is decent as politicians go, I'm more than happy to admit -- it's a bit frustrating to listen to how this guy has put a premium on competence unlike his predecessor, blah blah blah.

Peter Fitzgerald was 10 times the U.S. Senator that Obama was. (He was also at least 10 times the Illinois Senator as well.)  But my party chased him out because he wouldn't pal around with Hastert and Kjellander. And that sucks. But the GOP wouldn't have chased him out if voters here truly cared about "integrity" and "competence."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on May 08, 2009, 09:34:34 AM

Last December, the former Governor (for whom our President supported in Gubernatorial Elections at least thrice) threatened to pull all state business from BofA if it pulled the plug on Republic Windows. Unfortunately, Patrick Fitzgerald (the bum that The One's predecessor in the US Senate recommended for the job more or less sealing his fate in IL) had the FBI bring The One's choice for Governor twice and Republic remained open so we'd never know if The One's choice for Gov. would have made good on that threat.

Now, The One's mobbed-up choice for state treasurer takes time away from buying new cars for the poorly performing Bright Start Savings Plan (a failure he blames on Oppenheimer Funds, one of the big losers in The One's Chrysler deal) to stomp his feet in front  of HartMarx, the venerable suit maker (one of The One's favorites). Apparently, big bad Wells Fargo (which, incidentally, is undercapitalized) might approve a sale to one of two groups that could attempt to keep the Des Plaines and Rock Island factories open. It also might have to liquidate if it doesn't come to a deal.

Thoughts?

Why, yes, it is.

I agree that Bush blew a ton of political capital, but when Obama had political capital in Illinois in 2006, he stood with Giannoulias, Blagojevich and Todd Stroger when he could have stayed in Washington. His endorsement of Stroger (and non-endorsement of Forest Claypool in the Spring primary) would actually be fuckup No. 2 (after Chuck's correct assertion that Giannoulias was fuckup No. 1). Fuckup No. 3 would be not supporting someone -- anyone in the 2006 Dem. Gov. primary.

So Obama left us with a mess in Illinois and three months later left his Senate seat virtually vacant during his Presidential campaign.  This isn't Obama's crime as much as a symptom of a broken primary system that requires a nearly 2-year campaign. But, after all the fawning over the guy -- he's eminently likable, and is decent as politicians go, I'm more than happy to admit -- it's a bit frustrating to listen to how this guy has put a premium on competence unlike his predecessor, blah blah blah.

Peter Fitzgerald was 10 times the U.S. Senator that Obama was. (He was also at least 10 times the Illinois Senator as well.)  But my party chased him out because he wouldn't pal around with Hastert and Kjellander. And that sucks. But the GOP wouldn't have chased him out if voters here truly cared about "integrity" and "competence."

TJ is the Conservative that Aaron Sorkin always dreamed about.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on May 08, 2009, 09:40:38 AM

Thoughts?

Why, yes, it is.

TJ is the Conservative that Aaron Sorkin always dreamed about.

TJ is Hawkeye Pierce?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club

Thoughts?

Why, yes, it is.

On Stroger/Claypool, I agreed with you a year ago, and I still do. If Obama somehow endorses Stroger in 2010, it will be unforgiveable. But Carlton is such a complete piece of shit that even the party hacks might not let him run in 2010. Who knows.

Quote from: RV on March 03, 2008, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: TJ on March 03, 2008, 12:09:08 PM
I'm glad that Barack Obama, with all the political capital he had in 2006, stood up to the establishment and said "Enough's Enough. Yes We Can!" It was awesome how Obama refused to endorse Stroger or Blago or any of Daley's guys the next year.  That was gutsy for him to say that he cannot endorse politics as usual in Illinois or Cook County.

TJ, I'm a big Obama backer, but this is my biggest misgiving about him. Those endorsements really are disturbing. Since I can't defend him I'll just say that every politician makes unfortunate compromises from time to time, and cling to the (probably false) hope that if elected, he'll lay the smack down on these turds running our city and state.

As far as Fitzgerald goes, I didn't really follow politics until a couple years ago, but from everything I've read he was indeed a solid guy. Instead of focusing on Fitzgerald being "10 times better" than Obama (I'm interested in what kind of nonpartisan laptop science is used to measure such a thing), shouldn't more of your anger be focused on the current state of the GOP in Illinois, and in general, that has marginalized reasonable dudes like Peter Fitzgerald?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Seriously, Mike... You don't really believe that Obama's meddling in a corporate bond's settlement in a bankruptcy proceeding has anything at all to do with demand for U.S. Treasury bonds, do you?  Now, if you had argued that the ridiculous levels of proposed deficit spending by this Administration have led to a marginal decrease in demand for long-dated Treasuries, I'd be more sympathetic.  But the Obama Administration's conduct in the Chrysler settlement, as reprehensible as it may be, has nothing at all to do with Treasury bond demand.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

No he wasn't.  While Obama left his seat after 4 years of nondescript accomplishments, Fitzgerald did only one good thing.  The rest of what he did was either also nondescript or horrible.  His good thing?  Getting Patrick Fitzgerald in the US Attorney slot.  The terrible: Standing in the way of O'Hare expansion.  He was the most anti-business Republican I'd ever seen.  And this guy was a banker!

The awful awful offsets his good.  Peter Fitz is gone.  Good riddance.  Can we have Alan Dixon back?

I'm glad that Barack Obama, with all the political capital he had in 2006, stood up to the establishment and said "Enough's Enough. Yes We Can!" It was awesome how Obama refused to endorse Stroger or Blago or any of Daley's guys the next year.  That was gutsy for him to say that he cannot endorse politics as usual in Illinois or Cook County.
Stroger is done.  The Daley's have made that clear this week.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 08, 2009, 10:06:38 AM

No he wasn't.  While Obama left his seat after 4 years of nondescript accomplishments, Fitzgerald did only one good thing.  The rest of what he did was either also nondescript or horrible.  His good thing?  Getting Patrick Fitzgerald in the US Attorney slot.  The terrible: Standing in the way of O'Hare expansion.  He was the most anti-business Republican I'd ever seen.  And this guy was a banker!

The awful awful offsets his good.  Peter Fitz is gone.  Good riddance.  Can we have Alan Dixon back?

Stroger is done.  The Daley's have made that clear this week.

Besides, there is no way in Hell Obama would ever want to ever acknowledge the quagmire that is Cook County politics ever again. Presidents generally don't endorse non-Federal candidates below Governor anyway.

TIME TO POST!

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

The problem was that ORD expansion was a state issue and the federal government had no business meddling in it.

Quote from: RV on May 08, 2009, 09:54:12 AM
As far as Fitzgerald goes, I didn't really follow politics until a couple years ago, but from everything I've read he was indeed a solid guy. Instead of focusing on Fitzgerald being "10 times better" than Obama (I'm interested in what kind of nonpartisan laptop science is used to measure such a thing), shouldn't more of your anger be focused on the current state of the GOP in Illinois, and in general, that has marginalized reasonable dudes like Peter Fitzgerald?

But my party chased him out because he wouldn't pal around with Hastert and Kjellander. And that sucks. But the GOP wouldn't have chased him out if voters here truly cared about "integrity" and "competence."

Oh, there's plenty of anger to go around. Much of it is reserved for the IL Republican Party that resorted to Alan Keyes either because they couldn't twist Steve Rauschenberger's or John Borling's arms to run for Senate in the general election clearing the way for Alan Keyes, and because they didn't prepare for the Jack Ryan divorce file being opened in June 2004, and because they thrust George Ryan on IL in 1998 because "it was his turn," and because they let a 2002 gubernatorial primary tear them apart, and because they have simply waved the white flag in Chicago and Cook instead of seriously working a strategy to chip away at the majorities, and because they let Bush sell his "compassionate conservative" bullshit which only led to a gargantuan increase in discretionary spending, and because Congressional Republicans fell into the same trap Congressional Democrats fell into in the 1980s and early 1990s with their arrogance and disregard for ethics, and because trivial intramural squabbles seem to dominate.

But I can reserve some ANGER for my elected officeholders. Once they're elected, they belong to me as well. And using the Illinois Treasurer's Office to mount a campaign for U.S. Senate sucks.  Bullying a firm from acting in its best interests sucks.

Using the Presidency for bullying the "holdouts" that are simply trying to uphold their fiduciary responsibility sucks.

MikeC

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on May 08, 2009, 10:00:22 AM

Seriously, Mike... You don't really believe that Obama's meddling in a corporate bond's settlement in a bankruptcy proceeding has anything at all to do with demand for U.S. Treasury bonds, do you?  Now, if you had argued that the ridiculous levels of proposed deficit spending by this Administration have led to a marginal decrease in demand for long-dated Treasuries, I'd be more sympathetic.  But the Obama Administration's conduct in the Chrysler settlement, as reprehensible as it may be, has nothing at all to do with Treasury bond demand.

Maybe so, at least you put it out there thoughtfully. Yes i do agree the massive deficit spending probably has a larger effect on Treasury bond demand.

But you know anything is possible, countries are blocking the import of pork because of swine flu when pork has nothing to do with it. So its not out of the question to think Treasury bond sales are not in some way affected by what is going on with Chrysler and GM.

It isn't a sole reason it's just a piece of the overall picture that the public is getting about our financial sector and the Chrysler/GM/Obama process isn't helping.

I respect your response and the way you handled it Morph. The other responses just give me the urge to be as much of an asshole and bitchy as they are.
Hail Neifi, full of hacks, thy glove is with thee

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
The MikeC Guide to Posting About Politics

1. Post a bunch of dogshit about a topic you most likely understand nothing about, with no link to the Instapundit or Malkin post from which it originates.

2. Wait for the totally predictable reaction from the Commie Pinkofags on the board, in which they point out the various ways in which the post is wrong or misguided, because they are HIGH ON HOPIUM.

3. Hope that morph, TJ or some other conservative mines through the smegma that you've posted, and presents a non-frothing-at-the-tardmouth, coherent argument on your behalf.

4. Pretend that you were right to begin with, and complain about the ridiculous hysteria and despicable name-calling by the OBAMANUTS who just don't understand that THIS IS FASCISM, PEOPLE!

5. If all else fails, remind the bleeding-heart baby killers that they hate the troops.

10. Profit!

*These steps don't always play out in order, I'm picturing more of a choose-your-own-adventure type decision tree, but I'm not as photoshoppically gifted as ChuckD or morph, so this will have to do for now.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on May 08, 2009, 10:47:39 AM

The problem was that ORD expansion was a state issue and the federal government had no business meddling in it.

Quote from: RV on May 08, 2009, 09:54:12 AM

But my party chased him out because he wouldn't pal around with Hastert and Kjellander. And that sucks. But the GOP wouldn't have chased him out if voters here truly cared about "integrity" and "competence."
Let's not forget that Fitzgerald's election was an accident of monumental proportions.  The Dem machine refused to dump Carol Moseley-Braun after her disastrous term in the Senate, so the GOP decided they'd run Loleta Didrickson against her.  Fitzgerald was mostly lucky.  The GOP never wanted anything to do with him, and he squeaked by Didrickson in the primary, largely because the Dems decided Fitzgerald was the more beatable of the two candidates for Moseley-Braun and ramped a huge effort (specifically around college campuses) to convince Dem voters to vote in the GOP primary for Fitzgerald.  Of course, the whole thing backfired on the Dem's when it turned out that Moseley-Braun was the rare candidate who was too corrupt to win even with Machine backing.  So it's somewhat erroneous to say that Fitzgerald was chased out of the Illinois GOP, when he was barely ever in.

What's my point?  I guess it's that only by a pure perfect storm of Party incompetence did the State of Illinois manage to elect a guy with integrity to office.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MikeC on May 08, 2009, 10:57:30 AM
But you know anything is possible, countries are blocking the import of pork because of swine flu when pork has nothing to do with it. So its not out of the question to think Treasury bond sales are not in some way affected by what is going on with Chrysler and GM.
I see.  Use the acknowledgment that there is no link between two unrelated items as a reason to think there is a link between two other unrelated items.

Or maybe what you are getting at is that uninformed people are making the decisions on T-bonds similar to uniformed people that make the decisions on pork imports.

Do you have any fucking clue how bond prices work?  Do you have any fucking clue about finance at all?  Nothing you have EVER said, here or at cubspundit.blogspot.com suggests you do.

Is your checkbook balanced?  Here's a hint: If you still have checks in your checkbook, that doesn't automatically mean you have money left in your account.