News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,289 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on May 08, 2009, 11:51:33 AM
Quote from: Brownie on May 08, 2009, 10:47:39 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 08, 2009, 10:06:38 AM
Quote from: Brownie on May 08, 2009, 09:34:34 AM
Peter Fitzgerald was 10 times the U.S. Senator that Obama was. (He was also at least 10 times the Illinois Senator as well.)  But my party chased him out because he wouldn't pal around with Hastert and Kjellander. And that sucks. But the GOP wouldn't have chased him out if voters here truly cared about "integrity" and "competence."

No he wasn't.  While Obama left his seat after 4 years of nondescript accomplishments, Fitzgerald did only one good thing.  The rest of what he did was either also nondescript or horrible.  His good thing?  Getting Patrick Fitzgerald in the US Attorney slot.  The terrible: Standing in the way of O'Hare expansion.  He was the most anti-business Republican I'd ever seen.  And this guy was a banker!

The problem was that ORD expansion was a state issue and the federal government had no business meddling in it.

Quote from: RV on May 08, 2009, 09:54:12 AM
As far as Fitzgerald goes, I didn't really follow politics until a couple years ago, but from everything I've read he was indeed a solid guy. Instead of focusing on Fitzgerald being "10 times better" than Obama (I'm interested in what kind of nonpartisan laptop science is used to measure such a thing), shouldn't more of your anger be focused on the current state of the GOP in Illinois, and in general, that has marginalized reasonable dudes like Peter Fitzgerald?

Quote from: Brownie on May 08, 2009, 09:34:34 AM
But my party chased him out because he wouldn't pal around with Hastert and Kjellander. And that sucks. But the GOP wouldn't have chased him out if voters here truly cared about "integrity" and "competence."
Let's not forget that Fitzgerald's election was an accident of monumental proportions.  The Dem machine refused to dump Carol Moseley-Braun after her disastrous term in the Senate, so the GOP decided they'd run Loleta Didrickson against her.  Fitzgerald was mostly lucky.  The GOP never wanted anything to do with him, and he squeaked by Didrickson in the primary, largely because the Dems decided Fitzgerald was the more beatable of the two candidates for Moseley-Braun and ramped a huge effort (specifically around college campuses) to convince Dem voters to vote in the GOP primary for Fitzgerald.  Of course, the whole thing backfired on the Dem's when it turned out that Moseley-Braun was the rare candidate who was too corrupt to win even with Machine backing.  So it's somewhat erroneous to say that Fitzgerald was chased out of the Illinois GOP, when he was barely ever in.

What's my point?  I guess it's that only by a pure perfect storm of Party incompetence did the State of Illinois manage to elect a guy with integrity to office.

I didn't live/vote in IL in '98, but why would they convince Dems to vote in the GOP primary when there was a competitive Gov. primary? I know that's a reason Salvi beat Kustra in 1996 (with no Dem primary races to speak of), but in 1998?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: RV on May 08, 2009, 11:11:22 AM
The MikeC Guide to Posting About Politics

1. Post a bunch of dogshit about a topic you most likely understand nothing about, with no link to the Instapundit or Malkin post from which it originates.

2. Wait for the totally predictable reaction from the Commie Pinkofags on the board, in which they point out the various ways in which the post is wrong or misguided, because they are HIGH ON HOPIUM.

3. Hope that morph, TJ or some other conservative mines through the smegma that you've posted, and presents a non-frothing-at-the-tardmouth, coherent argument on your behalf.

4. Pretend that you were right to begin with, and complain about the ridiculous hysteria and despicable name-calling by the OBAMANUTS who just don't understand that THIS IS FASCISM, PEOPLE!

5. If all else fails, remind the bleeding-heart baby killers that they hate the troops.

10. Profit!

*These steps don't always play out in order, I'm picturing more of a choose-your-own-adventure type decision tree, but I'm not as photoshoppically gifted as ChuckD or morph, so this will have to do for now.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Teh Paul - sexual magnetism + political activism = MikeC
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Let's not forget that Fitzgerald's election was an accident of monumental proportions.  The Dem machine refused to dump Carol Moseley-Braun after her disastrous term in the Senate, so the GOP decided they'd run Loleta Didrickson against her.  Fitzgerald was mostly lucky.  The GOP never wanted anything to do with him, and he squeaked by Didrickson in the primary, largely because the Dems decided Fitzgerald was the more beatable of the two candidates for Moseley-Braun and ramped a huge effort (specifically around college campuses) to convince Dem voters to vote in the GOP primary for Fitzgerald.  Of course, the whole thing backfired on the Dem's when it turned out that Moseley-Braun was the rare candidate who was too corrupt to win even with Machine backing.  So it's somewhat erroneous to say that Fitzgerald was chased out of the Illinois GOP, when he was barely ever in.
And the only reason Braun ever ran is because Dixon voted in favor of confirming Clarence Thomas.

So here's your chain:

Bush I nominates Thomas.
Dixon votes to confirm.
Al Hofeld and Mosely-Braun challenge him in the primary.  Hofeld and Dixon split the white vote and Braun wins.
Braun defeats a racist GOP candidate by the name of Richard Williamson, who the GOP didn't care about because Dixon was a DINO and the IL GOP wanted to keep him in office.
Braun is an atrocious senator and loses easily to Fitz.
Fitz pisses off the IL GOP and Daley and decides not to run for re-election.
Obama wins the senate seat.
Obama wins the presidency.

So, to sum up, no Bush nomination of Clarence Thomas and Dixon is in his seat through January 1999 and maybe longer.  Braun never runs.  Fitz never rund against her.  Obama never gets the open seat to run for.

Clarence Thomas got Obama the presidency.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 08, 2009, 12:27:42 PM
And the only reason Braun ever ran is because Dixon voted in favor of confirming Clarence Thomas.

So here's your chain:

Bush I nominates Thomas.
Dixon votes to confirm.
Al Hofeld and Mosely-Braun challenge him in the primary.  Hofeld and Dixon split the white vote and Braun wins.
Braun defeats a racist GOP candidate by the name of Richard Williamson, who the GOP didn't care about because Dixon was a DINO and the IL GOP wanted to keep him in office.

So, to sum up, no Bush nomination of Clarence Thomas and Dixon is in his seat through January 1999 and maybe longer.  Braun never runs.  Fitz never rund against her.  Obama never gets the open seat to run for.

So what you're saying is, Conan created Stewart who then created Colbert?

So, Conan created Colbert?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on May 08, 2009, 12:26:39 PM

Pretty sure teh aPul had teh political activism too.  He's just on the other side of the spectrum.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on May 08, 2009, 12:37:45 PM
Quote from: Fork on May 08, 2009, 12:26:39 PM

Pretty sure teh aPul had teh political activism too.  He's just on the other side of the spectrum.

teh aPul had no time for such mundane pursuits.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

So here's your chain:

Bush I nominates Thomas.
Dixon votes to confirm.

You're leaving out some stuff where Dem Party favorite and asshole extraordinare Blair Hull loses the primary to Obama after his divorce records are unsealed, and qualified GOP challenger Jack Ryan drops out of the race for the similar reasons, leaving Obama to destroy Allan Keyes.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on May 08, 2009, 12:59:00 PM
You're leaving out some stuff where Dem Party favorite and asshole extraordinare Blair Hull loses the primary to Obama after his divorce records are unsealed, and qualified GOP challenger Jack Ryan drops out of the race for the similar reasons, leaving Obama to destroy Allan Keyes.
Blair was a long shot behind Dan Hynes who many assumed would cruise to victory on the backs of his family.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on May 08, 2009, 12:59:00 PM

So here's your chain:

Bush I nominates Thomas.
Dixon votes to confirm.

Ironically, all thanks to the Tribune.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
You also left out the part how Judy Baar Topinka dicked around for 6 weeks trying to find a replacement candidate. All the candidates on which everyone could agree didn't want to run, and then there were some watered-down unknown candidates. And then there was Oberweis, who had burned too many bridges during the primary. Finally, there was the dalliance with Ditka who enjoyed the week in the spotlight. By the time they named Keyes, no one in their right mind would run.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on May 08, 2009, 01:20:32 PM
You also left out the part how Judy Baar Topinka dicked around for 6 weeks trying to find a replacement candidate. All the candidates on which everyone could agree didn't want to run, and then there were some watered-down unknown candidates. And then there was Oberweis, who had burned too many bridges during the primary. Finally, there was the dalliance with Ditka who enjoyed the week in the spotlight. By the time they named Keyes, no one in their right mind would run.

SENATOR DITKER!! I still hold out hope that he changes his mind and runs for office someday. With Doug Buffone and Ed O' Bradovich as his campaign strategists, encouraging Da Cotch to run more play action and line stunts, the reanimated corpse of Paul Simon himself wouldn't stand a chance.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: RV on May 08, 2009, 01:24:39 PM

SENATOR DITKER!! I still hold out hope that he changes his mind and runs for office someday. With Doug Buffone and Ed O' Bradovich as his campaign strategists, encouraging Da Cotch to run more play action and line stunts, the reanimated corpse of Paul Simon himself wouldn't stand a chance.

I'd run against Ditka, just so he could scream at me during a debate. That would be awesome.
TIME TO POST!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

I don't think America is ready to have an Orange Senator yet.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on May 08, 2009, 02:18:47 PM

I don't think America is ready to have an Orange Senator yet.

O RLY?

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.