News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,294 )

MikeC

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 06, 2009, 03:17:51 PM
Quote from: MikeC on November 06, 2009, 03:10:58 PM
Question.........if/when Health Care reform is put in place, should people be sent to jail and fined for not having insurance?
Do you have car insurance?  It's the law.

Ah but I can choose to not drive and still not get fined or go to jail.
Hail Neifi, full of hacks, thy glove is with thee

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MikeC on November 06, 2009, 03:58:30 PM
Question.........if/when Health Care reform is put in place, should people be sent to jail and fined for not having insurance?

You could also choose not to go to a hospital if you get sick.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Do you have car insurance?  It's the law.

In California you must either have auto insurance or post a bond.  Obviously, if you don't have a license you can't get auto insurance.  We tried to get the State to allow licenses for undocumented aliens who would then be required to carry insurance to be licensed, but the law can't get adopted because "why should illegal aliens be legal drivers?"  Fortunately their aren't any uninsured illegal aliens driving out there since they can't get licenses.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 06, 2009, 04:00:47 PM

That's what the death panels will be there for.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Video like 1200 gonna drop! Computers, Hard Drives Seized at ACORN's New Orleans Office

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572706,00.html

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on November 06, 2009, 04:20:08 PM

That's what the death panels will be there for.

Just like Dachau.  Just like Dachau.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Hitler was all about health care for all.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on November 06, 2009, 05:07:43 PM

Healthcare and hygiene... Hence all the mandatory showers.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on November 06, 2009, 05:24:46 PM
Quote from: Fork on November 06, 2009, 05:07:43 PM

Healthcare and hygiene... Hence all the mandatory showers.

Hey, he had DOCTOR Mengele working for him...they don't just let anyone be a doctor, you know.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
When (IF?) Obama gets around to lifting the ban on gays in the military, he should lift the ban on women in "combat units."

http://www.slate.com/id/2234862/
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on November 07, 2009, 04:11:14 PM
When (IF?) Obama Congress gets around to lifting the ban on gays in the military, he should lift the ban on women in "combat units."

Fixed, because the President cannot do it by fiat.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on November 07, 2009, 04:17:41 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on November 07, 2009, 04:11:14 PM
When (IF?) Obama Congress gets around to lifting the ban on gays in the military, he should lift the ban on women in "combat units."

Fixed, because the President cannot do it by fiat.

I think that the President could win a lawsuit that he could by Executive Order as Commander in Chief.  I can't see the Supreme Court rejecting a claim that military personnel decisions/policy are an Article II power, especially if a Democrat Prez would make the claim.

But I'm a reluctant believer in the unitary executive because I think it's the better Constitutional argument--not because I think it's good policy.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2009/11/will-i-go-to-jail-if-i-dont-buy-health.html

QuoteThe newest meme of opposition to the health insurance plan is that if you don't obey the individual mandate to purchase health insurance, you will go to jail.

This is false.

Section 501 of the House bill imposes a tax of 2.5 percent of adjusted gross income. You are exempted from the tax if you already have qualifying health insurance from your employer, if you receive benefits from Medicare or Medicaid, if you are a dependent, if you are overseas, and if you have religions objections. You also get subsidies in the form of tax credits and tax deductions if your income is below a certain level; and if you are in poverty you are already exempted because you participate in Medicaid.

If you are not exempted, and you don't purchase health insurance, you just pay a higher tax. You don't go to jail.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 10, 2009, 09:47:50 AM

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2009/11/will-i-go-to-jail-if-i-dont-buy-health.html

QuoteThe newest meme of opposition to the health insurance plan is that if you don't obey the individual mandate to purchase health insurance, you will go to jail.

This is false.

Section 501 of the House bill imposes a tax of 2.5 percent of adjusted gross income. You are exempted from the tax if you already have qualifying health insurance from your employer, if you receive benefits from Medicare or Medicaid, if you are a dependent, if you are overseas, and if you have religions objections. You also get subsidies in the form of tax credits and tax deductions if your income is below a certain level; and if you are in poverty you are already exempted because you participate in Medicaid.

If you are not exempted, and you don't purchase health insurance, you just pay a higher tax. You don't go to jail.

Ah, but what happens if you object to that Trotskyite "income tax" scheme and refuse to pay the oppressors, Chuck? Then what? Then Jim Oberweis lands on your motorcycle pad in a black chopper and whisks you away to a UN internment camp. IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
THAT.

QuoteSince the Ft Hood atrocity, I've seen a meme going around that it somehow  exposed a contradiction between "political correctness" and "security."  The avoidance of Nidal Hassan's religion out of fear of offending anyone, goes the argument, created the conditions which allowed him to go undetected and unsanctioned in the months and years leading up to his rampage.  American security, therefore, demands dropping the "political correctness" of avoiding a  confrontation with Islamist ideas and asking the "tough questions" about Islam as a religion and the loyalty of Muslim-Americans.

This framing of the issue is almost 100% wrong.    There is a connection between what these critics are calling "political correctness" and national security, but it runs in the opposite direction.   The real linkage is that there is a strong security imperative to prevent the consolidation of a narrative in which America is engaged in a clash of civilizations with Islam, and instead to nurture a narrative in which al-Qaeda and its affiliates represent a marginal fringe to be jointly combatted.

QuoteA lot of people -- some well-meaning, some clowns or worse -- evidently want the American response to the Ft. Hood shootings to revive the post-9/11 "war of ideas" and "clash of civilizations" anti-Islamic discourse.  It's a jihad, they shout, demanding careful scrutiny of the loyalty of American Muslims.  That's what they seem to mean by the demand to throw away "political correctness" and confront the ideological menace.  The overall effect of their recommendations, however,  would be to revive the flagging al-Qaeda brand and to greatly strengthen the appeal of its narrative.  And that's exactly what we should not want.