News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Video Game Deals  ( 68,599 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Video Game Deals
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
Quote from: Poon on July 28, 2009, 12:56:04 PM
Quote from: Weebs on July 28, 2009, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: Poon on July 28, 2009, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 28, 2009, 11:03:17 AM
Street Fighter IV at Gamestop for $20.  Very good deal.

I was just coming to post that.  For $20 I gotta pick it up.  Wondering if I can get sealed copies and exchange them at another store for a higher priced game.  Damn gamestop for opening most of their copies.

If it's only $20, then I'm sure they have tons in stock.  They usually only open about 4 copies to put on the floor.

So I guess this is to clear stock for some newer version with extra stuff that's coming out.  Only thing that really sucks about Game Stop with new games is sometimes you'll get an opened copy that they still sell as new.  bleh.

Right, but if it's clearing stock, they're going to have a lot more than the few copies that are gutted on the floor.  I was in one of the stores a few days ago and I think I remember seeing a good 10 copies for the 360 sitting behind the counter.  If you get a hold of one, go to Wal-Mart, as I'm pretty sure they'll let you exchange without a receipt.  They're still selling it for regular price.  My friend bought Dead Space from there a few months ago, went back without a receipt the other day and swapped it out for NCAA.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on July 28, 2009, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: Poon on July 28, 2009, 12:56:04 PM
Quote from: Weebs on July 28, 2009, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: Poon on July 28, 2009, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 28, 2009, 11:03:17 AM
Street Fighter IV at Gamestop for $20.  Very good deal.

I was just coming to post that.  For $20 I gotta pick it up.  Wondering if I can get sealed copies and exchange them at another store for a higher priced game.  Damn gamestop for opening most of their copies.

If it's only $20, then I'm sure they have tons in stock.  They usually only open about 4 copies to put on the floor.

So I guess this is to clear stock for some newer version with extra stuff that's coming out.  Only thing that really sucks about Game Stop with new games is sometimes you'll get an opened copy that they still sell as new.  bleh.

Right, but if it's clearing stock, they're going to have a lot more than the few copies that are gutted on the floor.  I was in one of the stores a few days ago and I think I remember seeing a good 10 copies for the 360 sitting behind the counter.  If you get a hold of one, go to Wal-Mart, as I'm pretty sure they'll let you exchange without a receipt.  They're still selling it for regular price.  My friend bought Dead Space from there a few months ago, went back without a receipt the other day and swapped it out for NCAA.

I bought it, but thought it sucked.  I dunno, the remakes of these classic arcade fighters just don't seem nearly as fun for me.  Maybe if I had a couple of those Street Fighter arcade sticks, but there's no way I'm buying two of those.  I ended up trading it in at Game Stop yesterday and actually got a buck more in trade in than I paid for it after tax.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »
If you get a hold of one, go to Wal-Mart, as I'm pretty sure they'll let you exchange without a receipt.  They're still selling it for regular price.  My friend bought Dead Space from there a few months ago, went back without a receipt the other day and swapped it out for NCAA.

My WalMart hate is massive, but assholes defrauding companies like this is why
so many companies have such shit hole return policies.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »
Quote from: Pre on August 07, 2009, 09:00:25 AM
If you get a hold of one, go to Wal-Mart, as I'm pretty sure they'll let you exchange without a receipt.  They're still selling it for regular price.  My friend bought Dead Space from there a few months ago, went back without a receipt the other day and swapped it out for NCAA.

My WalMart hate is massive, but assholes defrauding companies like this is why
so many companies have such shit hole return policies.

For how much the big chains rip off consumers and employees left and right, I feel no remorse taking advantage when I can.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2009, 09:33:26 AM »
I'm with Pre on this one. Except the Wal-Mart hate part. I like them. But yea defrauding companies is kind of bullshit. How do they rip off the consumer? By making a profit? And, based off of my experience at a big chain (Best Buy), the main reasons employees get screwed over is becuase of things at the store level, not the corporate level.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »
I only shop at Buy More.  Ask for Morgan.  http://www.insidebuymore.com

Oh, and then check out the smoothie place next door.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: August 07, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
This sounds pretty awesome.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: August 07, 2009, 07:36:18 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on August 07, 2009, 06:28:14 PM

It would be awesome if it actually happens in a functional way.  However, Game Stop
and such start with prices ~$5 more expensive than Best Buy for a new release and
then will have the used for about the same price.  By the time the used price drops
to any significant level below retail value Best Buy has most likely either stopped
carrying it or at least somewhat dropped the price.  Kermit seems to spend at least
two hours a day comparing game prices and showing me that everything is cheaper
from New Egg anyways.  Best Buy has become a lot more like Target as far as holding
onto a minimum of older games.  Hell, the one by me doesn't even stock some lower
volume new titles.  We're only a few years short of digital console game distribution
catching up with where Steam/Impulse/D2D/etc are on the PC side and it becomes
mostly a moot point.  At most, there's a few price war things between Best Buy and
Game Stop in the middle of Idaho for a couple months and a bunch of media coverage
and fifty two kids get a cheap copy of Assassin's Creed 2.

On the plus side, PC game costs (for consumers) are way down due to direct downloading.
On the down side, the DRM is to the point that the used market is pretty much dead.

Also, you should be getting all your old console games through goozex.com anyways.

Also also, I forget where I was going to work this in, but I've bought more games this
year from 7-11 than I have from Best Buy or Game Stop.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: August 07, 2009, 11:44:54 PM »
Quote from: Pre on August 07, 2009, 07:36:18 PM
Quote from: Weebs on August 07, 2009, 06:28:14 PM

It would be awesome if it actually happens in a functional way.  However, Game Stop
and such start with prices ~$5 more expensive than Best Buy for a new release and
then will have the used for about the same price.  By the time the used price drops
to any significant level below retail value Best Buy has most likely either stopped
carrying it or at least somewhat dropped the price.  Kermit seems to spend at least
two hours a day comparing game prices and showing me that everything is cheaper
from New Egg anyways.  Best Buy has become a lot more like Target as far as holding
onto a minimum of older games.  Hell, the one by me doesn't even stock some lower
volume new titles.  We're only a few years short of digital console game distribution
catching up with where Steam/Impulse/D2D/etc are on the PC side and it becomes
mostly a moot point.  At most, there's a few price war things between Best Buy and
Game Stop in the middle of Idaho for a couple months and a bunch of media coverage
and fifty two kids get a cheap copy of Assassin's Creed 2.

On the plus side, PC game costs (for consumers) are way down due to direct downloading.
On the down side, the DRM is to the point that the used market is pretty much dead.

Also, you should be getting all your old console games through goozex.com anyways.

Also also, I forget where I was going to work this in, but I've bought more games this
year from 7-11 than I have from Best Buy or Game Stop.

Oh, don't be such a Grinch.  This sounds like nothing but great news for Reward Zone addicts like me.
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on July 09, 2009, 09:43:11 AM
Brothers in Arms is maybe worth the $20, if you want to virtually relive WWII for the 907th time.

This.  I got this game from Goozex last night, and I really enjoy it so far.  If you liked the first one on the original Xbox, this one is more of the same, although it looks a lot prettier and you can actually shoot Germans when they're behind cover.  The sound is terrific.  It's a little more strategic than a Call of Duty-type game, so if that's not your thing, pass on it.  I think it got dinged on its scores because (1) it's yet another WWII shooter, and (2) the multiplayer is supposedly pretty bad.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 19, 2009, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on July 09, 2009, 09:43:11 AM
Brothers in Arms is maybe worth the $20, if you want to virtually relive WWII for the 907th time.

This.  I got this game from Goozex last night, and I really enjoy it so far.  If you liked the first one on the original Xbox, this one is more of the same, although it looks a lot prettier and you can actually shoot Germans when they're behind cover.  The sound is terrific.  It's a little more strategic than a Call of Duty-type game, so if that's not your thing, pass on it.  I think it got dinged on its scores because (1) it's yet another WWII shooter, and (2) the multiplayer is supposedly pretty bad.

Multiplayer is basically nonexistent, but the single player is a solid story.  There are some weird texture popins and the grassy fields look a bit last gen, but for the most part shooting Nazis in the face with the M1 Garand is pretty fun.  I liked collecting the Killroys, too.  If you pay attention, you will see flashes of Leggett during some scenes.  The levels in the insane asylum are pretty freaky, for a military FPS.

Replaying the game on the hardest level can be a challenge as you get no reticule.  It becomes very hard to aim your gun and easier to get hit, but using the aim down your sights on the your weapon helps tremendously, especially if you change your controller settings to "Tour of Duty."  It's basically the Call of Duty control, with the LT being the sights button.

Glad you like it.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
Best Buy is doing a buy-one, get-half-off sale on pretty much all of their 360 games.  It includes pre-orders, (including Modern Warfare 2).
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 31, 2009, 09:58:46 AM
Best Buy is doing a buy-one, get-half-off sale on pretty much all of their 360 games.  It includes pre-orders, (including Modern Warfare 2).

Son of a bitch.  I just preordered MW2 and OpFlash this morning from GameStop.  I lose.