News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 121,319 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 22, 2012, 11:39:39 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 22, 2012, 05:15:28 PM
Quote from: Brownie on April 22, 2012, 02:21:32 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on April 21, 2012, 09:53:23 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 21, 2012, 05:42:22 PM
Bumped for Milt Pappas' simmering rage.

Humber needs an * after his name. No fucking way was that a swinging strike to end the game.

And if that dumbshit runs instead of standing there arguing he probably beats the throw.

That's not Humber's fault. He made some great pitches in the 9th, especially when behind in the count.

Here is an interesting thought: How many perfect games have been day games? Humber, Buerhle, Braden, Cone, Wells, Martinez, Witt... Is it just a day game after a night game effect? Any thoughts?

I rewatched the 9th on MLB.tv and not once did Fox show a replay from the first base side so you could tell if Ryan went around or not. Maybe that camera op just missed it. Or maybe Reinsdorf and his puppet Selig told them not to.

I saw the replay from the broadcast booth camera above home plate and from there it looked like the wrists broke the plane, but either way, it feels like a call that an umpire would give a guy on what would be the final pitch of a perfect game.

That, plus, Ryan is a dumbass for swinging at it, so he deserves to be called out anyway.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 23, 2012, 12:18:48 AM

Humber needs an * after his name. No fucking way was that a swinging strike to end the game.

And if that dumbshit runs instead of standing there arguing he probably beats the throw.

That's not Humber's fault. He made some great pitches in the 9th, especially when behind in the count.

Here is an interesting thought: How many perfect games have been day games? Humber, Buerhle, Braden, Cone, Wells, Martinez, Witt... Is it just a day game after a night game effect? Any thoughts?

I rewatched the 9th on MLB.tv and not once did Fox show a replay from the first base side so you could tell if Ryan went around or not. Maybe that camera op just missed it. Or maybe Reinsdorf and his puppet Selig told them not to.

I saw the replay from the broadcast booth camera above home plate and from there it looked like the wrists broke the plane, but either way, it feels like a call that an umpire would give a guy on what would be the final pitch of a perfect game.

That, plus, Ryan is a dumbass for swinging at it, so he deserves to be called out anyway.

Here:

This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 23, 2012, 12:58:23 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 23, 2012, 12:18:48 AM

Here:

Yeah, I'm gonna say bitching about the strike zone or whatever just to denigrate his perfect game makes Cub fans look as bad as Tony's Sox Friend. He threw a perfect game. Doesn't make him the first journeyman or mediocre pitcher to do so.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 23, 2012, 08:10:43 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna say bitching about the strike zone or whatever just to denigrate his perfect game makes Cub fans look as bad as Tony's Sox Friend.

This.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »
Seen it too many times.

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on April 23, 2012, 11:09:41 AM
Seen it too many times.

Dammit, I laughed.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »

If you look at it from the angle of the umpire calling it a checked swing and then having to deal with death threats from the Ligues of the world it makes perfect sense to me. No way in hell you make that call.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 23, 2012, 11:45:02 AM
Quote from: morpheus on April 23, 2012, 11:09:41 AM
Seen it too many times.

Dammit, I laughed.

Me too.
Nice job, very subtle.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »
FIRST PLACE SOX

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 24, 2012, 09:16:55 AM
FIRST PLACE SOX

Peavy and Dunn are partying like it's 2007. They're not a terrible team to watch, but I'm not convinced they'll win more than 80 games. Of course, if they win 80, they'd be a mere 30 games better than the Cubs which is good enough for most Sox fans. Watch, they'll win the division, and we'll have to put up with the South Side Stench for another couple weeks.

Of teams whose fan bases have an unhealthy obsession with the Cubs, the Brewers are worth watching, especially if Aramis starts hitting again.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 24, 2012, 09:29:00 AM
FIRST PLACE SOX

Peavy and Dunn are partying like it's 2007. They're not a terrible team to watch, but I'm not convinced they'll win more than 80 games. Of course, if they win 80, they'd be a mere 30 games better than the Cubs which is good enough for most Sox fans. Watch, they'll win the division, and we'll have to put up with the South Side Stench for another couple weeks.

Of teams whose fan bases have an unhealthy obsession with the Cubs, the Brewers are worth watching, especially if Aramis starts hitting again.

Despite my disdain for American League baseball, I've watched about 5 or 6 Sox games so far.  They're not terrible and that second wild card spot might be where they eventually end up, considering Detroit is pretty much going to cruise to that division championship.

The East has been fascinating to watch this season so far.  Baltimore's been not-shitty and Toronto has been entertaining as well.

Plus you have Bobby Valentine's shitstorm in Boston for additional entertainment value.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 24, 2012, 11:35:39 AM
FIRST PLACE SOX

Despite my disdain for American League baseball, I've watched about 5 or 6 Sox games so far.  They're not terrible and that second wild card spot might be where they eventually end up, considering Detroit is pretty much going to cruise to that division championship.

The East has been fascinating to watch this season so far.  Baltimore's been not-shitty and Toronto has been entertaining as well.

Plus you have Bobby Valentine's shitstorm in Boston for additional entertainment value.

If you're watching the local broadcasts, do you turn the sound off?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 24, 2012, 12:28:43 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 24, 2012, 11:35:39 AM
FIRST PLACE SOX

If you're watching the local broadcasts, do you turn the sound off?

I haven't watched them on MLB.tv yet, but I'm wondering if Peoria is in the blackout zone for the Sox.  If they aren't, I'll just put on the away broadcast.

On CSN, however, I've been watching them with the sound on.  However, I'm usually in the kitchen and am only passively listening.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 24, 2012, 12:48:01 PM
However, I'm usually in the kitchen and am only passively listening.

That Chicken Oscar isn't going to make itself.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »
Quote from: flannj on April 24, 2012, 05:10:40 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 24, 2012, 12:48:01 PM
However, I'm usually in the kitchen and am only passively listening.

That Chicken Oscar isn't going to make itself.

Darn tootin'.