News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 121,328 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #405 on: June 25, 2015, 08:38:41 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 24, 2015, 10:47:22 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2015, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on June 24, 2015, 09:54:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2015, 07:52:31 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on June 24, 2015, 04:20:25 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 24, 2015, 03:47:04 PM
This dumpster fire is really, really amusing. They can't even win when Sale is pitching.

If the Sox decide to completely back the truck up, I'd enjoy it if the Cubs got Sale. He's a good pitcher, but mainly for the yuks.

The Cubs would have to give up Russell and then some.

It might be worth it. What's the "some"?

For the sake of discussion: Russell, McKinney, Underwood.

ETA: This still feels light to me from the Sox perspective. But Russell + Schwarber seemed like probably too much. Russell + Baez too redundant. Bryant is presumably off the table. So I'm not sure.

If it were me, I'd do that in a heartbeat although ...

You'd do Russell and Schwarber? Or the first, lighter offer?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: June 25, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 24, 2015, 10:44:22 PM
This dumpster fire is really, really amusing. They can't even win when Sale is pitching.

If the Sox decide to completely back the truck up, I'd enjoy it if the Cubs got Sale. He's a good pitcher, but mainly for the yuks.

ETA: This still feels light to me from the Sox perspective. But Russell + Schwarber seemed like probably too much. Russell + Baez too redundant. Bryant is presumably off the table. So I'm not sure.

This is the thread where we make fun of the Sox not where we discuss trading Addison Russell that thread is up your butt.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: June 25, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »
Seriously, can we limit this thread to discussion of the horrific play of the Sox, their cracker broadcaster and fanbbase, and their ballplayers who leave paralyzed friends to die?  This talk of dealing Russell and Schwarber for the Machinist is giving me the vapors.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: June 25, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 25, 2015, 08:45:38 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 24, 2015, 10:44:22 PM

This is the thread where we make fun of the Sox not where we discuss trading Addison Russell that thread is up your butt.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: June 25, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
I think the main point was to squash the idea that Chris Sale is merely "good" and that the primary benefit of trading for him would be for yuks.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: June 25, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 25, 2015, 09:39:02 AM
I think the main point was to squash the idea that Chris Sale is merely "good" and that the primary benefit of trading for him would be for yuks.

That was fine, but you went too far. TOO FAR.

Addison for Sale would probably be worth it but it's not going to happen and I love him too much so stop it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: June 25, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
Back to laughing at the Sox and not trading away Barry Larkin-esque franchise cornerstones...Adam Hoge of The Score (I think he's back with The Score) yesterday was ranting about Alexei Ramirez errors and Adam Eaton hustle and demanding they be held "accountable" and I'm still laughing as to what he thinks benching either of those will do for the Sox. You really want more of Emilio Bonifacio and his 4(!!) OPS+ out there? Would that make you feel better?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: June 25, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 25, 2015, 10:42:32 AM
Back to laughing at the Sox and not trading away Barry Larkin-esque franchise cornerstones...Adam Hoge of The Score (I think he's back with The Score) yesterday was ranting about Alexei Ramirez errors and Adam Eaton hustle and demanding they be held "accountable" and I'm still laughing as to what he thinks benching either of those will do for the Sox. You really want more of Emilio Bonifacio and his 4(!!) OPS+ out there? Would that make you feel better?

Schadenfreude.  It's what's for dinner.

*takes big bite*

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: June 25, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 25, 2015, 10:44:36 AM

Schadenfreude.  It's what's for dinner.

*takes big bite*

Yes, this is very interesting stuff.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: June 25, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
One of the things that I have always appreciated is the attitude of Northside fans toward the team on the Southside and its fans.  It isn't exactly disdain.  It is more like apathy.  "They are there.  So what?"  On the other hand, the Southsiders live to hate the Cubs and their fans.  I think that if they had the choice of seeing their team win the World Series or see the Cubs in dismal last place many of them would choose the latter. 
If the Cubs win, I celebrate.  If they lose, I grieve.  What goes on with those other folks doesn't make or destroy my day.   
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: June 25, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 25, 2015, 08:38:41 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on June 24, 2015, 10:47:22 PM

If it were me, I'd do that in a heartbeat although ...

You'd do Russell and Schwarber? Or the first, lighter offer?

The one you proposed for sake of discussion...

Back to the Schadenfreude: I bet the Sox are glad that their big free agent signing was David Robertson. Hard to imagine where that team would be without an Elite Closer® in the bullpen to lock down all those save opportunities.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: June 25, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 25, 2015, 11:42:14 AM
One of the things that I have always appreciated is the attitude of Northside fans toward the team on the Southside and its fans.  It isn't exactly disdain.  It is more like apathy.  "They are there.  So what?"  On the other hand, the Southsiders live to hate the Cubs and their fans.  I think that if they had the choice of seeing their team win the World Series or see the Cubs in dismal last place many of them would choose the latter.  
If the Cubs win, I celebrate.  If they lose, I grieve.  What goes on with those other folks doesn't make or destroy my day.  

I think as many Cub fans hate the Sox as Sox fans hate the Cubs. Most of the time I don't really care what's happening there. I am legitimately surprised by how bad that team is and their historically woeful offense is amusing to me just as a "wow how the fuck are they this bad?" kind of thing.

The only reason I'm enjoying this particular White Sox team's shitty season is because of how the Sox and the money they spent over the offseason and what not was held up as some kind of paragon of the Right Way To Do Things in the arguments of various beat writers with agendas.

TL;DR: this is the internet and it's made for hating random things, often without any logic, so leave the hate thread be if you ain't feel like hatin'.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 25, 2015, 12:10:11 PM
Quote from: CBStew on June 25, 2015, 11:42:14 AM
One of the things that I have always appreciated is the attitude of Northside fans toward the team on the Southside and its fans.  It isn't exactly disdain.  It is more like apathy.  "They are there.  So what?"  On the other hand, the Southsiders live to hate the Cubs and their fans.  I think that if they had the choice of seeing their team win the World Series or see the Cubs in dismal last place many of them would choose the latter.  
If the Cubs win, I celebrate.  If they lose, I grieve.  What goes on with those other folks doesn't make or destroy my day.  

I think as many Cub fans hate the Sox as Sox fans hate the Cubs. Most of the time I don't really care what's happening there. I am legitimately surprised by how bad that team is and their historically woeful offense is amusing to me just as a "wow how the fuck are they this bad?" kind of thing.

The only reason I'm enjoying this particular White Sox team's shitty season is because of how the Sox and the money they spent over the offseason and what not was held up as some kind of paragon of the Right Way To Do Things in the arguments of various beat writers with agendas.

TL;DR: this is the internet and it's made for hating random things, often without any logic, so leave the hate thread be if you ain't feel like hatin'.

I was deeply offended that their trade for Snork stole away some of the Cubs' Lester thunder. I couldn't really argue that the moves made them better because Adam LaRoche is better than Adam Dunn and Meh-lky Cabrera is better than the jerk circus they had. But man, it was all this talk about two good teams in Chicago, and what a fun summer this will be with both teams possibly in contention. They never doubted it. I didn't want to predict that it would all come crashing down, because I didn't know. But deep down, I thought, "meh" about every single move they made except for Snork, which legitimately pissed me off. Because fuck Snork. Hard.

I'm a little pissed that their record isn't as bad as it should be. They're going to lose a lot of damn games. I promise you I didn't used to care but I do now. I fucking care.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: June 25, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »
Snork is on the market, but what will he fetch? I can't imagine anyone overpaying him. And he's almost certainly gone, robbing Sox fans of the joy of claiming that at least they got a draft pick for him. Meanwhile, the A's received a 24-year-old starting middle infielder with a 1.3 WAR, a backup catcher with an OPS north of .900 (surely better than Flowers and Soto), a middling AAAA pitcher and a Cuban first baseman who has been injured all year.

Put another way, look at it as a 4-way trade among the Sox, Cubs, Astros and Oakland:

Cubs get: Addison Russell, Billy McKinney, Dexter Fowler, cash, Jason Hammel.
Astros get: Dan Straily, Luis Valbuena
Oakland gets: Marcus Semien, Josh Phlegley, Chris Bassitt, Rangel Ravelo, 2 months of Jeff Samardzija (in 2014) and 2 months of Jason Hammel (in 2014).
White Sox get: Michael Ynoa and Jeff Samardzija.

In short, Rick Hahn bailed Billy Beane out.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: June 25, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2015, 01:04:52 PM
Snork is on the market, but what will he fetch? I can't imagine anyone overpaying him. And he's almost certainly gone, robbing Sox fans of the joy of claiming that at least they got a draft pick for him. Meanwhile, the A's received a 24-year-old starting middle infielder with a 1.3 WAR, a backup catcher with an OPS north of .900 (surely better than Flowers and Soto), a middling AAAA pitcher and a Cuban first baseman who has been injured all year.

Put another way, look at it as a 4-way trade among the Sox, Cubs, Astros and Oakland:

Cubs get: Addison Russell, Billy McKinney, Dexter Fowler, cash, Jason Hammel.
Astros get: Dan Straily, Luis Valbuena
Oakland gets: Marcus Semien, Josh Phlegley, Chris Bassitt, Rangel Ravelo, 2 months of Jeff Samardzija (in 2014) and 2 months of Jason Hammel (in 2014).
White Sox get: Michael Ynoa and Jeff Samardzija.

In short, Rick Hahn bailed Billy Beane out.

I don't know if you can say the Cubs got Jason Hammel in this deal.