News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 121,314 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #570 on: December 12, 2015, 07:33:32 AM »
Quote from: CT III on December 11, 2015, 09:12:05 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 11, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
So many Sox fans saying "yea we won the off-season last year look how that turned out" like there's not a difference between overpaying Adam LaRoche and Dave Robertson to save a 73 win team and adding a 26 year old 6 WAR OF to a 97 win team.

Did anyone really say that the Sox won the offseason last year? I need names.

SKO needs to stop spending so much time in Strawlandia.  That place is awful.

(I will, in his defense, recall how optimistic Sox fans were a year ago generally)
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #571 on: December 12, 2015, 07:54:44 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 12, 2015, 07:33:32 AM
So many Sox fans saying "yea we won the off-season last year look how that turned out" like there's not a difference between overpaying Adam LaRoche and Dave Robertson to save a 73 win team and adding a 26 year old 6 WAR OF to a 97 win team.

(I will, in his defense, recall how optimistic Sox fans were a year ago generally)

Yea, I felt like the consensus was that the Sox and the Padres "won" the offseason, but if that's all it took to win the offseason last year, I'm pretty sure the cubs just swept that shit.

This had Sox/Padres 1 and 2 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2335445-highlighting-the-best-and-worst-2014-2015-mlb-offseason-makeovers/page/12
This gave them an A- http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/02/23/winter-report-cards-final-al-grades
Jim Bowden gave them an A+ http://puckettspond.com/2015/02/17/espn-insider-jim-bowden-releases-mlb-offseason-grades/6/

We can all say how wrong that was, because lulz, but it was thing being said.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #572 on: December 12, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 12, 2015, 07:54:44 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 12, 2015, 07:33:32 AM

Yea, I felt like the consensus was that the Sox and the Padres "won" the offseason, but if that's all it took to win the offseason last year, I'm pretty sure the cubs just swept that shit.

This had Sox/Padres 1 and 2 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2335445-highlighting-the-best-and-worst-2014-2015-mlb-offseason-makeovers/page/12
This gave them an A- http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/02/23/winter-report-cards-final-al-grades
Jim Bowden gave them an A+ http://puckettspond.com/2015/02/17/espn-insider-jim-bowden-releases-mlb-offseason-grades/6/

We can all say how wrong that was, because lulz, but it was thing being said.

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/chicago-sun-times/20151113/282527247326024/TextView here's Bob Nightengale also stating that the Padres and White Sox were last year's "winter champions".
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #573 on: December 12, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »
Point taken.

Maybe I just don't care about "winning" the Hot Stove League.

My own recollection associates those two teams as suddenly ditching any real long-term development, going all "fuck it lets go for it" mode.  San Diego's case being more reckless because they seemed to have surer talent below.  The Cubs haven't done any of that shit, kind of amazingly.  I'm still pinching myself that they've done what they've done and only dealt Castro.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #574 on: December 12, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 12, 2015, 08:35:11 AM
Point taken.

Maybe I just don't care about "winning" the Hot Stove League.

My own recollection associates those two teams as suddenly ditching any real long-term development, going all "fuck it lets go for it" mode.  San Diego's case being more reckless because they seemed to have surer talent below.  The Cubs haven't done any of that shit, kind of amazingly.  I'm still pinching myself that they've done what they've done and only dealt Castro.

Yeah that was the point, idiots trying to denigrate what the Cubs are doing because "big spending isn't how you win" or pointing to how Theo struggled after signing big free agents like Carl Crawford in Boston are missing that these Cubs were already a damn good team that didn't even need Heyward.  They built the right way and now they're just icing the cake.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #575 on: December 16, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
I think that trade was actually a good one by the White Sox. Plus, Todd Frazier is gone. Good for them.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #576 on: December 16, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 16, 2015, 11:34:48 AM
I think that trade was actually a good one by the White Sox. Plus, Todd Frazier is gone. Good for them.

Nice link.  Your post is so vague it may as well be a Facebook status by a 15 year old, jilted emo kid.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #577 on: December 16, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 16, 2015, 11:56:38 AM

Nice link.  Your post is so vague it may as well be a Facebook status by a 15 year old, jilted emo kid.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/white-sox-todd-frazier-trade-reds-dodgers.html

Reds get: Jose Peraza, Scott Schebler, Brandon Dixon
Dodgers get: Frankie Montas, Trayce Thompson, Micah Johnson
White Sox get: Todd Frazier.

So Dodgers get an interesting pitching prospect in Montas, decent 4th OF in Thompson, meh 2B prospect, White Sox get a big upgrade at third and can now play Lawrie at 2B, and the Reds sold their big trade chip for Jose Peraza (who will no doubt be an irritating speedy thorn in the Cubs side) and some fringe prospects.

Think the Sox did OK here, the Dodgers get more ammunition for whatever evil trade Friedman is planning (Jose Fernandez?) and the Reds kinda need Peraza to be a star for this to really make a lot of sense for them.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #578 on: December 16, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »

Augie in 14 years

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #579 on: December 16, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 16, 2015, 12:00:31 PM

Augie in 14 years

God willing by the time my kid is 15 years old facebook will be known solely as the place where everyone's crazy racist uncles hang out and my son will want nothing to do with it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #580 on: December 29, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »
The Sox are supposedly one of the frontrunners for Cespedes, which seems like such a White Sox move. I've been expecting them to sign him all offseason.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #581 on: December 29, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 29, 2015, 04:54:44 PM
The Sox are supposedly one of the frontrunners for Cespedes, which seems like such a White Sox move. I've been expecting them to sign him all offseason.

He probably won't repeat last year's career numbers but they have like a two year window so it's worth going for it. Just find a way to get Sale and Quintana into a playoff series and you have a chance.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #582 on: December 30, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 29, 2015, 05:33:33 PM

He probably won't repeat last year's career numbers but they have like a two year window so it's worth going for it. Just find a way to get Sale and Quintana into a playoff series and you have a chance.

That theory makes sense. The Cespedes and Frazier additions could net them, what 10 wins on paper? It's the same slapdick approach to team building that we used to deal with pre-Theo. There's a better chance that Sale and Q suffer catastrophic arm injuries at the same time than this team catching lightning in a bottle and qualifying for the playoffs with 87 wins. So they should actually trade Sale and Quintana and Frazier and bottom out. But they won't so, fine whatever. Cespedes, woo hoo.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #583 on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »

By not going out and getting any pitching this winter, they've also pushed all their chips to the middle of the table on Rodon.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #584 on: December 30, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 30, 2015, 08:25:42 AM

By not going out and getting any pitching this winter, they've also pushed all their chips to the middle of the table on Rodon.

I think any team in their market range would, though.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.