News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 121,319 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #600 on: January 06, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2016, 11:09:43 AM
I'm mostly glad Gordon went back to the Royals because he was the one free agent I could see potentially going to St. Louis. Definitely don't see them overpaying Cespedes or Upton.

I wonder how serious St. Louis was about him. They had the money to top the Cubs' offer to Heyward so it seems they could have easily beat 4/72 if they wanted. But if they offered him a lot more and he still chose the Royals I might just piss my pants laughing.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #601 on: January 06, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 06, 2016, 11:38:25 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2016, 11:09:43 AM
I'm mostly glad Gordon went back to the Royals because he was the one free agent I could see potentially going to St. Louis. Definitely don't see them overpaying Cespedes or Upton.

I wonder how serious St. Louis was about him. They had the money to top the Cubs' offer to Heyward so it seems they could have easily beat 4/72 if they wanted. But if they offered him a lot more and he still chose the Royals I might just piss my pants laughing.

Bad enough to lose out on a player who chooses a city over which they have a collective  inferiority complex, but to lose a player who elects to go to that burgh on the other side of their own state?  I like to imagine that scenario to be true for this very reason.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #602 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 06, 2016, 11:27:54 AM
They're a 79-83 team without him, an 82-80 financially hamstrung team with him. The second option is more fun.

That's probably about right. But that's their best bet at this point -- build an 82-win true talent team, hope for a bit of good luck and get into a playoff series with Sale, Quintana and Rodon.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #603 on: January 06, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 06, 2016, 01:15:33 PM
They're a 79-83 team without him, an 82-80 financially hamstrung team with him. The second option is more fun.

That's probably about right. But that's their best bet at this point -- build an 82-win true talent team, hope for a bit of good luck and get into a playoff series with Sale, Quintana and Rodon.

I can see Rodon pitching a big playoff shutout just as easily as I can see him walking the world Dempster style and getting Hammel'd in the first inning.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #604 on: January 06, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 06, 2016, 02:20:58 PM

I can see Rodon pitching a big playoff shutout just as easily as I can see him walking the world Dempster style and getting Hammel'd in the first inning.

I think the Rodon start vs the Cubs at Wrigley was the most maddening game of the year. He just kept walking everybody, and then every ball they actually put in play went right to someone.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #605 on: January 06, 2016, 02:49:57 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2016, 02:35:13 PM

I think the Rodon start vs the Cubs at Wrigley was the most maddening game of the year. He just kept walking everybody, and then every ball they actually put in play went right to someone.

I thought Hamels' no-hitter was.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #606 on: January 06, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »

Most likely to overachieve. Most likely to underachieve

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #607 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:19 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 06, 2016, 02:49:57 PM

I think it's a tie between games 1-4 of the NLCS. But the ones you guys mentioned sucked too.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #608 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 06, 2016, 03:03:04 PM

Most likely to overachieve. Most likely to underachieve

Skypoint for BC.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #609 on: January 07, 2016, 07:27:58 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 06, 2016, 04:28:19 PM

I think it's a tie between games 1-4 of the NLCS. But the ones you guys mentioned sucked too.

Eh, I define maddening a something other than your usual irritating loss. The NLCS loss was irritating as all get out but it wasn't inexplicable. The Mets had great pitching and the Cubs bats finally went cold.

The Rodon Game was maddening as in nothing about it made sense. He walked 6 guys and I think he even plunked a dude and got away with it becuase the Cubs kept hitting and running into an increasingly absurd series of double plays. It was one of those games where baseball just fucks with you because it can.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #610 on: January 07, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 07, 2016, 07:27:58 AM

Eh, I define maddening a something other than your usual irritating loss. The NLCS loss was irritating as all get out but it wasn't inexplicable. The Mets had great pitching and the Cubs bats finally went cold.

The Rodon Game was maddening as in nothing about it made sense. He walked 6 guys and I think he even plunked a dude and got away with it becuase the Cubs kept hitting and running into an increasingly absurd series of double plays. It was one of those games where baseball just fucks with you because it can.

Dick Beard the Pirate's inexplicable hot streak made me angry. Every hard hit ball finding the glove of a New York Met made me angry. The Cubs' outfield defense going straight to hell made me angry. I got down on the floor and smacked the hardwood and swore on multiple occasions. If you handled the suffering differently, cool. I was mad.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #611 on: January 07, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 07, 2016, 09:00:26 AM

Dick Beard the Pirate's inexplicable hot streak made me angry. Every hard hit ball finding the glove of a New York Met made me angry. The Cubs' outfield defense going straight to hell made me angry. I got down on the floor and smacked the hardwood and swore on multiple occasions. If you handled the suffering differently, cool. I was mad.

Man of course I was mad. Who do you think you're talking to? I didn't mean to say the Rodon game was the single most infuriating game of the year, or whatever. For that matter it doesn't even compare to the May series in St. Louis or when Strop gave up that dong to Peralta.

I meant the Rodon game was the most bizarre, Curse of the BABIP God game they had all year. Rodon pitched like absolute garbage, walked six guys, and yet every bit of contact he gave up somehow went straight to somebody. Avi Garcia is like the worst defender in baseball and he made an amazing leaping catch. Alexei Ramirez was pretty close to the worst defender in baseball at the time that game was played and yet he made an amazing diving play/glove flip to double up Starlin. It was just a game where the inexplicable happened over and over.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #612 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 07, 2016, 09:29:02 AM

Man of course I was mad. Who do you think you're talking to? I didn't mean to say the Rodon game was the single most infuriating game of the year, or whatever. For that matter it doesn't even compare to the May series in St. Louis or when Strop gave up that dong to Peralta.

I meant the Rodon game was the most bizarre, Curse of the BABIP God game they had all year. Rodon pitched like absolute garbage, walked six guys, and yet every bit of contact he gave up somehow went straight to somebody. Avi Garcia is like the worst defender in baseball and he made an amazing leaping catch. Alexei Ramirez was pretty close to the worst defender in baseball at the time that game was played and yet he made an amazing diving play/glove flip to double up Starlin. It was just a game where the inexplicable happened over and over.

I have no recollection of that game unless Lester started it, then I think I do. That's how huge that one was.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #613 on: January 07, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 07, 2016, 09:37:32 AM

I have no recollection of that game unless Lester started it, then I think I do. That's how huge that one was.

Lester started the second game against Chris Sale in that series. He gave up 2 runs in the first, then posted 5 scoreless innings and 8 strikeouts, then in the 7th Kris Bryant made an error trying for a double play that led to 1st and 3rd, no outs instead of a man on second and 1 out and Lester gave up 3 more runs. DipShitInHydePark lost his fucking mind over Lester not being elite and stuff.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #614 on: January 07, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 07, 2016, 09:43:32 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 07, 2016, 09:37:32 AM

Lester started the second game against Chris Sale in that series. He gave up 2 runs in the first, then posted 5 scoreless innings and 8 strikeouts, then in the 7th Kris Bryant made an error trying for a double play that led to 1st and 3rd, no outs instead of a man on second and 1 out and Lester gave up 3 more runs. DipShitInHydePark lost his fucking mind over Lester not being elite and stuff.

And on Sunday Arrieta was the very essence of elite and stuff. I must have been working on that Friday and only following the score of the Rodon game. I attended the Hamels no-no and I was more angry at the Cubs fans cheering for Hamels than I was at the team's inability to scratch out a hit against him.

But yeah. Entire Mets series = Anger and Hate until I finally got drunk and went to bed.