News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Will Lieth's writing isn't just detested by some of us  ( 7,712 )

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Will Lieth's writing isn't just detested by some of us
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »
That piece reminds me of the days when Bill Simmons was interesting...i.e. before ESPN tore his balls off and forced him to make the same vanilla pop culture references 8,000,000 times in each article. 

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »
Right thread?
Not sure...but apparently Deadspin would like to explain why Wrigley sucks.

Full Disclosure: I haven't read this yeet.

Also, Leitch didn't write this, but that hardly seems relevant.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 12, 2009, 02:08:23 PM
Right thread?

I'm not sure there's much in this piece folks here will disagree with.

QuoteIt's altogether apt that the ballpark was built on the former site of a Lutheran seminary and just down the street from a German-style beer garden. Wrigley Field now exists somewhere between the twin poles of piety and unholy, shit-faced crapulence. It's fitting, too, that Wrigley was where, in everyone's favorite overrated baseball film, The Natural, Glenn Close chose to stand her white ass up in a shaft of God's own sunlight, not just because the place is famous for its obstructed views, but because in the modern age Wrigley has laid claim to the sort of virginal purity that Close's character idiotically represented.

QuoteThis is a story about Wrigley's fans — the ones who drove a youth baseball coach and an asset to his community into deep seclusion, the ones who wallow in the subjunctive (what might've happened had Moises Alou come down with the ball?) while blithely ignoring what actually did happen in that Game 6, in that very inning, in fact. What happened was this: Shortstop Alex Gonzalez and his frying pan of a glove, booted a dead-certain, inning-ending double-play ball onto Addison Street. The Cubs lost that game because of a bad baseball play, not because fate, in the shape of 26-year-old kid wearing headphones, wanted to consign them to more years of exquisite suffering. Any Cubs fans who think otherwise aren't worth the troughs they have to piss in.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
Quote from: Tank on June 12, 2009, 02:22:27 PM
Right thread?

QuoteIt's altogether apt that the ballpark was built on the former site of a Lutheran seminary and just down the street from a German-style beer garden. Wrigley Field now exists somewhere between the twin poles of piety and unholy, shit-faced crapulence. It's fitting, too, that Wrigley was where, in everyone's favorite overrated baseball film, The Natural, Glenn Close chose to stand her white ass up in a shaft of God's own sunlight, not just because the place is famous for its obstructed views, but because in the modern age Wrigley has laid claim to the sort of virginal purity that Close's character idiotically represented.

QuoteThis is a story about Wrigley's fans — the ones who drove a youth baseball coach and an asset to his community into deep seclusion, the ones who wallow in the subjunctive (what might've happened had Moises Alou come down with the ball?) while blithely ignoring what actually did happen in that Game 6, in that very inning, in fact. What happened was this: Shortstop Alex Gonzalez and his frying pan of a glove, booted a dead-certain, inning-ending double-play ball onto Addison Street. The Cubs lost that game because of a bad baseball play, not because fate, in the shape of 26-year-old kid wearing headphones, wanted to consign them to more years of exquisite suffering. Any Cubs fans who think otherwise aren't worth the troughs they have to piss in.

Who said that turdbag in the turtleneck was anything mystical?  And does any fan really not immedaitely associate Alex Gonzalez with FAIL?  Those events are certainly not mutually exclusive.

I love how everyone tries to cleverly find the ONE substitute cause of all of that fail.  There were several examples of fail that inning, not the least of which was the thoughtless idiot who couldn't be bothered to let the players for whom he paid top dollar to watch actually do their jobs.

ANGRY.

But yeah, I agree with most of that other stuff.  The place is pretty much a dump.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
Quote from: MAD on June 12, 2009, 02:34:46 PM
Right thread?

Who said that turdbag in the turtleneck was anything mystical?  And does any fan really not immedaitely associate Alex Gonzalez with FAIL?  Those events are certainly not mutually exclusive.

I love how everyone tries to cleverly find the ONE substitute cause of all of that fail.  There were several examples of fail that inning, not the least of which was the thoughtless idiot who couldn't be bothered to let the players for whom he paid top dollar to watch actually do their jobs.

ANGRY.

But yeah, I agree with most of that other stuff.  The place is pretty much a dump.
It's a lot less dumpy when you have about 25,000 people in there as opposed to 41,000. Here's to the rest of Chicago getting tired of the Cubs.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 12, 2009, 02:57:47 PM
Quote from: MAD on June 12, 2009, 02:34:46 PM
Right thread?

Who said that turdbag in the turtleneck was anything mystical?  And does any fan really not immedaitely associate Alex Gonzalez with FAIL?  Those events are certainly not mutually exclusive.

I love how everyone tries to cleverly find the ONE substitute cause of all of that fail.  There were several examples of fail that inning, not the least of which was the thoughtless idiot who couldn't be bothered to let the players for whom he paid top dollar to watch actually do their jobs.

ANGRY.

But yeah, I agree with most of that other stuff.  The place is pretty much a dump.
It's a lot less dumpy when you have about 25,000 people in there as opposed to 41,000. Here's to the rest of Chicago getting tired of the Cubs.

Why, so they can cut payroll? No thanks. I've found ways around the dickbaggery. The Sheridan L Stop, hard liquor, pot, boobie staring... It's all quite cathartic.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »

Wrigley Field is the property in Chicago that would benefit most from a gut rehab.

Or, just tear the fucker down and build a new ballpark with all the esthetics of Wrigley, with (shudder) some post World War I engineering.

I submit Camden Yards as the best example of what Wrigley Field can be.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 12, 2009, 03:20:52 PM

Wrigley Field is the property in Chicago that would benefit most from a gut rehab.

Or, just tear the fucker down and build a new ballpark with all the esthetics of Wrigley, with (shudder) some post World War I engineering.

I'm sure Hendry can get McFail to throw in Camden in the inevitable Aaron Miles deal.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »
The Wrigley debate is as tired as the Soriano leading off debate. But both are more fun than watching this team play baseball.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 07:28:33 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 12, 2009, 03:31:58 PM
Quote from: Fork on June 12, 2009, 03:20:52 PM

I'm sure Hendry can get McFail to throw in Camden in the inevitable Aaron Miles deal.

Ask for Camden Yards, settle for Boog Powell's BBQ.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
Does everyone remember the Cubs playing the 1992 World Series?  Will does.

QuoteDecade Retrospective: 2003
We continue our year-by-year look back at the decade with the year 2003, back we used Gopher to check our email, back when the Chicago Cubs were only 11 years removed from their most recent World Series. Simple times.

He also hilariously recaps the month of October and reminds us that he's a loser in December.

I think the 11 years thing is supposed to be a joke.  Home run, Will.  Home run.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?