News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: maybe its a sign  ( 4,196 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
maybe its a sign
« on: February 27, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
I have been a Cub fan since 1942.  I have been a California Bear fan since 1953.  The Cubs haven't won a pennant since 1945.  The Cal Bears haven't been to the Rose Bowl since January 1, 1960.  Cal's last Pac 10 (or whatever they have called it through the years)  Basketball Championship was 1960.  Today Cal won the Pac 10 Men's basketball championship, ending a 50 year drought.  I have always thought of the Cal Bears as the Cubs of college sports.  If the Cal Bears can do it why not the Cubs? 

(I was working my way through law school back in 1959 and had to work on New Years Day, tending bar, so I couldn't go to the Rose Bowl.  I said that there would be other Rose Bowls so it didn't matter if I missed that one.  I also couldn't get away to see the Bears win the NCAA Basketball championship that year.  I wasted my youth.  But that's what us Depression Era babies were like.)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: maybe its a sign
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 27, 2010, 09:21:48 PM
I have been a Cub fan since 1942.  I have been a California Bear fan since 1953.  The Cubs haven't won a pennant since 1945.  The Cal Bears haven't been to the Rose Bowl since January 1, 1960.  Cal's last Pac 10 (or whatever they have called it through the years)  Basketball Championship was 1960.  Today Cal won the Pac 10 Men's basketball championship, ending a 50 year drought.  I have always thought of the Cal Bears as the Cubs of college sports.  If the Cal Bears can do it why not the Cubs? 

(I was working my way through law school back in 1959 and had to work on New Years Day, tending bar, so I couldn't go to the Rose Bowl.  I said that there would be other Rose Bowls so it didn't matter if I missed that one.  I also couldn't get away to see the Bears win the NCAA Basketball championship that year.  I wasted my youth.  But that's what us Depression Era babies were like.)

So you're saying that if the rest of major league baseball's teams are horrible, the Cubs have a chance at this thing?

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 12:23:44 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 27, 2010, 09:35:28 PM
So you're saying that if the rest of major league baseball's teams are horrible, the Cubs have a chance at this thing?

This is a time of joy. 
We have all season to hate this team.
America is kicking ass. 
I'm all for some irrational positive at this point.
No one can beat the Night Train. 
Starlin Fucking Castro.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
Those same Cal Bears could miss the NCAA tournament if they bow out of the Pac-10 tournament early. It's very, very possible that the conference gets only one team in the dance this year. It's hisorically awful and people like me who hate west coast sports teams are downright giddy about it.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 28, 2010, 10:48:10 AM
Those same Cal Bears could miss the NCAA tournament if they bow out of the Pac-10 tournament early. It's very, very possible that the conference gets only one team in the dance this year. It's hisorically awful and people like me who hate west coast sports teams are downright giddy about it.

I used to love the Pac-10.  The basketball was fast-paced and the scoring was high.  Ben Howland and Herb Sendek are doing all they can to ruin it.  I love that UCLA is so sucky this year.  I hate Ben Howland and all that he stands for. 
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 27, 2010, 09:21:48 PM

Whatever it takes.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Quote from: Pre on February 28, 2010, 12:23:44 AM

This is a time of joy. 
America is kicking ass. 
Starlin Fucking Castro.

That's the worst haiku I've ever seen.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »
Intrepid Reader Garth Algar

I mean, we're looking down on Wayne's basement. Only that's not Wayne's basement. Isn't that weird?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
I remember being positively entranced by Jason Kidd's freshman season tournament run when I was a junior in college in '93.  May have been the weed, though. Still--if I remember correctly, the Bears knocked out two-time defending NCAA champ Duke (after first deposing of LSU and Jaimie Brandon, who had been a freshman starter at King in 1986 or 1987 when Marcus Liberty was a senior, but I digress) before fizzling out in the Sweet 16.  UC may not have won the Pac 10, but they've had at least one halfway-decent decent run since 1960.  They did better than conference foe Arizona, who lost to those pasty fairies at Santa Clara that year.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 28, 2010, 05:45:58 PM
I remember being positively entranced by Jason Kidd's freshman season tournament run when I was a junior in college in '93.  May have been the weed, though. Still--if I remember correctly, the Bears knocked out two-time defending NCAA champ Duke (after first deposing of LSU and Jaimie Brandon, who had been a freshman starter at King in 1986 or 1987 when Marcus Liberty was a senior, but I digress) before fizzling out in the Sweet 16.  UC may not have won the Pac 10, but they've had at least one halfway-decent decent run since 1960.  They did better than conference foe Arizona, who lost to those pasty fairies at Santa Clara that year.

Weren't they coached by Todd Bozeman?  The SAME Todd Bozeman that now coaches Morgan State?  The SAME Morgan State that got beat by Murray State in ESPN's Bracket Busters showcase?

I think so.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on February 28, 2010, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: Pre on February 28, 2010, 12:23:44 AM

This is a time of joy. 
America is kicking ass. 
Starlin Fucking Castro.

That's the worst haiku I've ever seen.

But the best translation of chapter 57 of the Tao Te Ching.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
Quote from: JD on February 28, 2010, 05:53:21 PM
Quote from: MAD on February 28, 2010, 05:45:58 PM

Weren't they coached by Todd Bozeman?  The SAME Todd Bozeman that now coaches Morgan State?  The SAME Morgan State that got beat by Murray State in ESPN's Bracket Busters showcase?

I think so.

Well, at least Bozeman's out of prison.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
This year's team is just not exciting.  There are two LSU boys on the team.  You'd think I'd be a little more excited.  I'm really not.  I think this is the first year I am extremely excited for baseball season without caring one bit about what the Cubs do.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:02 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 01, 2010, 08:12:13 AM
This year's team is just not exciting.  There are two LSU boys on the team.  You'd think I'd be a little more excited.  I'm really not.  I think this is the first year I am extremely excited for baseball season without caring one bit about what the Cubs do....because the Cardinals will be Awesome

Traitor'd.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 01, 2010, 08:19:02 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 01, 2010, 08:12:13 AM
This year's team is just not exciting.  There are two LSU boys on the team.  You'd think I'd be a little more excited.  I'm really not.  I think this is the first year I am extremely excited for baseball season without caring one bit about what the Cubs do....because the Cardinals will be Awesome

Traitor'd.

Will they not be awesome?  I'm back to hating them, by the way.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"