News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Batman v. Superman  ( 12,239 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Batman v. Superman
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 12:53:56 PM »
Eagerly awaiting SKO and Bort's take on this one. The early reviews are not, how do you say, good.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 23, 2016, 12:53:56 PM
Eagerly awaiting SKO and Bort's take on this one. The early reviews are not, how do you say, good.

I am trying to figure out when I can watch it so that I can tell everyone how much I hate it. The terrible reviews have meant there's no fucking way my wife will go see it with me, because she doesn't get hate-watching things, and if I can't convince her to get a babysitter and make said movie a date night I'll probably not be seeing it real soon
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
But no I am not surprised the consensus seems to be that it's a boring, beige, soulless, humorless, grimdark darkfest that makes you want to slit your wrists.

Because god forbid anyone think superheroes are fun. Really looking forward to seeing Zack Snyder use Superman as an allegory for the contemporary debates on security vs civil liberties and xenophobia with all of the subtlety and nuance he used for the "FREEDOM IS NOT FREE" political commentary in 300.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2016, 01:02:14 PM

I am trying to figure out when I can watch it so that I can tell everyone how much I hate it. The terrible reviews have meant there's no fucking way my wife will go see it with me, because she doesn't get hate-watching things, and if I can't convince her to get a babysitter and make said movie a date night I'll probably not be seeing it real soon

Go by yourself.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 23, 2016, 01:49:27 PM

Go by yourself.

I probably will, I just am not sure when I will fit it in.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2016, 01:58:08 PM

Go by yourself.

In between posts?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 23, 2016, 02:05:16 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2016, 01:58:08 PM

Go by yourself.

In between posts?

Someday I will be gone and this place will have the complete silence and utter lack of activity you've always craved.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 02:27:36 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath on my hot take. I still haven't seen Man of Steel. I'll probably watch this sometime around 2035.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »
Quote from: Bort on March 23, 2016, 02:27:36 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath on my hot take. I still haven't seen Man of Steel. I'll probably watch this sometime around 2035.

You should watch it. I doubt you'll ever must such pure hatred for anything in your life as you will that movie, and you're a man that knows his hatin'

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
Fucking 32% on Rotten Tomatoes. 44% on Metacritic. Much as I expected it to be terrible I expected them to cram enough fireworks into it to entertain more people than that. It's apparently not only bad but also boring.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 24, 2016, 10:27:51 AM
Fucking 32% on Rotten Tomatoes. 44% on Metacritic. Much as I expected it to be terrible I expected them to cram enough fireworks into it to entertain more people than that. It's apparently not only bad but also boring.

I might not even see this. I'm really annoyed - I thought it would be critically panned but watchable. Apparently it's not even watchable. Kind of like Man Of Steel which I refuse to watch.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 24, 2016, 11:09:31 AM

I might not even see this. I'm really annoyed - I thought it would be critically panned but watchable. Apparently it's not even watchable. Kind of like Man Of Steel which I refuse to watch.

The defense I have heard from people who liked Man of Steel, and who were determined to like this, is that "so what, it's a popcorn flick, all it has to do is be an entertaining slugfest", but the problem is that if you watch Man of Steel with all it's rancid dialogue about "you will give them hope!" and you listen to Snyder's Ayn Rand bullshit when discussing MoS and BvS, he very clearly thought there was some grand philosophical statement he was making with these movies. So the complete lack of any kind of humor or fun makes it hard to just turn off your brain and watch the inevitable CGI 'splosions because he's spent two hours making sure you know this is a very serious film for serious people.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 24, 2016, 11:13:56 AM

The defense I have heard from people who liked Man of Steel, and who were determined to like this, is that "so what, it's a popcorn flick, all it has to do is be an entertaining slugfest", but the problem is that if you watch Man of Steel with all it's rancid dialogue about "you will give them hope!" and you listen to Snyder's Ayn Rand bullshit when discussing MoS and BvS, he very clearly thought there was some grand philosophical statement he was making with these movies. So the complete lack of any kind of humor or fun makes it hard to just turn off your brain and watch the inevitable CGI 'splosions because he's spent two hours making sure you know this is a very serious film for serious people.

Chris Reeve was on SyFy last night doing, "Bad vibrations?" What that reminded me of was how NO ONE in MoS smiled. Well, Supes did when he was learning to fly for one quick instant, but that was it. Nothing fun.

Shindler's List is serious film.  JJ Abrams made a really dumb Star Wars movie that was great because the characters were having fun. Snyder should actually allow some joy in his films.

Was the only part of 300 where anyone smiled when the Spartans stopped the initial Persian advance?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 24, 2016, 11:22:16 AM

Chris Reeve was on SyFy last night doing, "Bad vibrations?" What that reminded me of was how NO ONE in MoS smiled. Well, Supes did when he was learning to fly for one quick instant, but that was it. Nothing fun.

Shindler's List is serious film.  JJ Abrams made a really dumb Star Wars movie that was great because the characters were having fun. Snyder should actually allow some joy in his films.

Was the only part of 300 where anyone smiled when the Spartans stopped the initial Persian advance?

Christopher Nolan and Bryan Singer are about the only guys smart enough to actually make the whole "straight take" of a superhero work, and even in Nolan's case the seams started to show in TDKR when he brought in Catwoman and stuff. It would never work in a world where you have to make Batman work with Superman. Singer got kind of a softball, because it's easy to make the X-Men franchise into a serious discussion about prejudice and stuff.

Snyder's movies have all made it clear he's got no understanding of subtlety or nuance and his philosophy tends to skew towards "19 year old bro who got a B- in Philosophy 101 and really liked The Fountainhead". Letting him try to turn the goddamn Justice League into some kind of Wagnerian Epic was always going to end this way.

Marvel gets it. You can stay true to some of the more serious themes of your comics while making movies that are fun and entertaining and family friendly.

Really Batman v Superman is probably what guys like me deserve for hanging onto this superhero stuff way too intensely for too long. We keep demanding movies about the characters we loved tailored to our age group so eventually we get a poop face Superman and Batman so violent and dark it makes you forget why the hell we fell in love with those characters as kids, when they wore bright colors and occasionally saved people.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 24, 2016, 11:28:48 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 24, 2016, 11:22:16 AM

Christopher Nolan and Bryan Singer are about the only guys smart enough to actually make the whole "straight take" of a superhero work, and even in Nolan's case the seams started to show in TDKR when he brought in Catwoman and stuff. It would never work in a world where you have to make Batman work with Superman. Singer got kind of a softball, because it's easy to make the X-Men franchise into a serious discussion about prejudice and stuff.

Snyder's movies have all made it clear he's got no understanding of subtlety or nuance and his philosophy tends to skew towards "19 year old bro who got a B- in Philosophy 101 and really liked The Fountainhead". Letting him try to turn the goddamn Justice League into some kind of Wagnerian Epic was always going to end this way.

Marvel gets it. You can stay true to some of the more serious themes of your comics while making movies that are fun and entertaining and family friendly.

Really Batman v Superman is probably what guys like me deserve for hanging onto this superhero stuff way too intensely for too long. We keep demanding movies about the characters we loved tailored to our age group so eventually we get a poop face Superman and Batman so violent and dark it makes you forget why the hell we fell in love with those characters as kids, when they wore bright colors and occasionally saved people.