News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,509 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #525 on: January 23, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 23, 2014, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: R-V on January 23, 2014, 12:38:23 PM
To some extent I'm just tired of bad news. Losing out on Darvish, Cespedes, Anibal. Castro sucking. Ownership taking a goddamn eternity to get this renovation done that I'm sick and tired of caring about. Cliff Alexander taking a dump on John Groce. Bears missing the playoffs. Bulls mired in NBA hell.

I love talking Cubs prospects because I hope to FUCKING JEEBERS 3 or 4 of the top 10 actually turn out to be studs. But that's all we have to hang our hat on at the moment. As I think SKO mentioned, I know the Cubs are absolutely doing the right thing with this but I want sports to give me some good feels post haste to replace all the bad feels.

(yes I've tried to glom on to the Hawks but I just can't do it)

It's not all bad news. Soler was the guy from Cuba with youth and potential, the Cubs got him. The front office traded a 2 month Garza rental into 4 legit prospects.  The farm system is ranked #2 in baseball - all turned around in the past few years. The Cubs should have another top pick after this years crappy season. Theo and Hoyer are good at turning mediocre talent into good prospects at the trade deadline.

Garza goes to the Brewers for 4 years and $52 mil.  (pending a physical)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: January 23, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 23, 2014, 01:55:35 PM
Quote from: BH on January 23, 2014, 01:24:38 PM
To some extent I'm just tired of bad news. Losing out on Darvish, Cespedes, Anibal. Castro sucking. Ownership taking a goddamn eternity to get this renovation done that I'm sick and tired of caring about. Cliff Alexander taking a dump on John Groce. Bears missing the playoffs. Bulls mired in NBA hell.

I love talking Cubs prospects because I hope to FUCKING JEEBERS 3 or 4 of the top 10 actually turn out to be studs. But that's all we have to hang our hat on at the moment. As I think SKO mentioned, I know the Cubs are absolutely doing the right thing with this but I want sports to give me some good feels post haste to replace all the bad feels.

It's not all bad news. Soler was the guy from Cuba with youth and potential, the Cubs got him. The front office traded a 2 month Garza rental into 4 legit prospects.  The farm system is ranked #2 in baseball - all turned around in the past few years. The Cubs should have another top pick after this years crappy season. Theo and Hoyer are good at turning mediocre talent into good prospects at the trade deadline.

Garza goes to the Brewers for 4 years and $52 mil.  (pending a physical)

Trying to shift some of the collective clubhouse hate off of Braun.  Smart move.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 23, 2014, 01:22:29 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 12:51:04 PM

I glommed onto the Heat and it's been great. Life is good.

At least CT has his beloved White Sox.

Paulie's victory tour this year is going to be epic.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #528 on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »

There's actually a lot of similarities between the two. While the Hawks sucked ass at the end of the Dollar Bill Era, they did some exceptional drafting, starting in 2002 with Duncan Keith, then Brent Seabrook in 2003. The big leap was made in 2007-08 when Patrick Kane and Jonathan  Toews joined those two, who had been joined by Patrick Sharp through a steal of a trade.

They sucked for a good long while, but were able to build through the draft and were able to consistently flip players who were not in their long-range plans for future considerations.

They didn't go heavy on free agents (good ones anyway) until they were ready to make noise in the postseason. Campbell and Huet for 2008-09 and Hossa for 2009-10. They wound up winning it all for the first time almost half a century.

That's why, while it may be discouraging now, hanging in there a few more years will make crossing the finish line that much sweeter. Don't mind what's in front of you, look what's ahead. 7 guys in MLB's Top 100 Prospects, and the fourth pick in this year's draft.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 24, 2014, 08:59:26 AM

There's actually a lot of similarities between the two. While the Hawks sucked ass at the end of the Dollar Bill Era, they did some exceptional drafting, starting in 2002 with Duncan Keith, then Brent Seabrook in 2003. The big leap was made in 2007-08 when Patrick Kane and Jonathan  Toews joined those two, who had been joined by Patrick Sharp through a steal of a trade.

They sucked for a good long while, but were able to build through the draft and were able to consistently flip players who were not in their long-range plans for future considerations.

They didn't go heavy on free agents (good ones anyway) until they were ready to make noise in the postseason. Campbell and Huet for 2008-09 and Hossa for 2009-10. They wound up winning it all for the first time almost half a century.

That's why, while it may be discouraging now, hanging in there a few more years will make crossing the finish line that much sweeter. Don't mind what's in front of you, look what's ahead. 7 guys in MLB's Top 100 Prospects, and the fourth pick in this year's draft.
So, once Tom Ricketts dies, we're gold!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 24, 2014, 09:26:29 AM

So, once Tom Ricketts dies, we're gold!

Unless you consider the Tribune selling the Cubs to be the Wirtz Death moment.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: January 24, 2014, 11:59:36 AM »
That's why, while it may be discouraging now, hanging in there a few more years will make crossing the finish line that much sweeter.

It's a nice sentiment, but I don't think Cubs fans really need additional suffering to appreciate a championship.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: January 24, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 24, 2014, 11:59:36 AM
That's why, while it may be discouraging now, hanging in there a few more years will make crossing the finish line that much sweeter.

It's a nice sentiment, but I don't think Cubs fans really need additional suffering to appreciate a championship.

!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: January 24, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »

HOW MANY MORE TEARS, THEO???
TIME TO POST!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: January 24, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »

Sadsack Eli.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: January 24, 2014, 03:22:42 PM »

Until you meet those Cubs fans who would appreciably suffer if/when they win a championship.  Some people think that the losing is just cute and Cubbily.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: January 24, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 24, 2014, 02:38:11 PM

Sadsack Eli.

I think it's much more sadsack to believe you'll somehow get bonus points for nobly suffering through a bunch of bad baseball teams.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 24, 2014, 03:33:05 PM

Sadsack Eli.

I think it's much more sadsack to believe you'll somehow get bonus points for nobly suffering through a bunch of bad baseball teams.

THA

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: January 24, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »

Sadsack Eli.

Exactly. Go Heat.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: January 24, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 24, 2014, 04:10:10 PM

Sadsack Eli.

Exactly. Go Heat.

TIME TO POST
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.