News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 364,303 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #615 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:15 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 03, 2014, 10:24:46 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 03, 2014, 10:12:42 AM
The most confusing thing about the Cubs offseason goes back to Theo's quote from the preseason about how losing 90 games and having a protected pick is far better than losing 85.  I took that to mean that if he had a protected pick, he'd be more willing to spend in free agency.  Add that to last year's signings of Jackson and the attempted signing of Sanchez and compare it to the silence this year.

I wonder why they were far more active last year despite being a year further away from contending than they have been this year?

I think Theo said something about how they may have jumped the gun last offseason in FA in terms of when they could compete. He didn't flat-out admit that signing Jackson was a mistake, but you could infer that it was probably a reactionary move to missing on Sanchez. I think all of that has made them a bit tentative this offseason.

I'll be happy to admit it if we're looking for someone to do so. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #616 on: January 03, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 03, 2014, 09:47:38 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 03, 2014, 09:41:29 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 03, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 02, 2014, 12:49:04 PM
Ben Badler breaks down the Tanaka sweepstakes.  Has the Cubs ranked 4th. 

Seriously the Cubs have no chance. Smart people I like still think if they offer the most money he'll sign. I don't see that happening.

This is how I prepare myself for "Tanaka to Dodgers" because how does that not happen?

I feel like there have been conflicting reports, too. I think it was Sahadev Sharma last week on Twitter who had some stuff from Hoyer, basically repeating that they'll probably only sign a big FA when it's a "one last move" to put them over the top. But I haven't seen those quotes elsewhere, so maybe I'm imagining it.

And I can't shake the feeling that Tanaka is nowhere near a slam dunk as some would have you believe.

baseball is such a nightmare.

I'm still too scarred from the Fukudome dud to care.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 03, 2014, 10:28:57 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 03, 2014, 09:47:38 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 03, 2014, 09:41:29 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 03, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 02, 2014, 12:49:04 PM
Ben Badler breaks down the Tanaka sweepstakes.  Has the Cubs ranked 4th. 

Seriously the Cubs have no chance. Smart people I like still think if they offer the most money he'll sign. I don't see that happening.

This is how I prepare myself for "Tanaka to Dodgers" because how does that not happen?

I feel like there have been conflicting reports, too. I think it was Sahadev Sharma last week on Twitter who had some stuff from Hoyer, basically repeating that they'll probably only sign a big FA when it's a "one last move" to put them over the top. But I haven't seen those quotes elsewhere, so maybe I'm imagining it.

And I can't shake the feeling that Tanaka is nowhere near a slam dunk as some would have you believe.

baseball is such a nightmare.

I'm still too scarred from the Fukudome dud to care.

all japs the same

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #618 on: January 03, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »
I don't think there's anything constructive to be gained from any GM in any sport's public comments.

Last winter they spent money. This winter they haven't. The Ricketts family is making a fuckton of money off the various MLB contracts, and they have given Jepstink the task of building a winner through drafting and development, which is significantly more cost effective than running out and pissing away money on a guy like Cano, whose ROI will never translate into an actual profit.

Is it going slowly? Sure it is. But fuck it, no other plan has worked for a century, might as well let this one fully gestate.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #619 on: January 03, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 03, 2014, 11:51:52 AM
I don't think there's anything constructive to be gained from any GM in any sport's public comments.

Last winter they spent money. This winter they haven't. The Ricketts family is making a fuckton of money off the various MLB contracts, and they have given Jepstink the task of building a winner through drafting and development, which is significantly more cost effective than running out and pissing away money on a guy like Cano, whose ROI will never translate into an actual profit.

Is it going slowly? Sure it is. But fuck it, no other plan has worked for a century, might as well let this one fully gestate.

I find it curious that you pooh-pooh a GM's public comments in any sport and then, at the end of your remarks, reference the Cubs' new plan, which, of course, was made public because the new President and GM said so in a press conference.

Something something run setting up the pass something.

PS - Your text message about the HDTV deal was funny, by the way...BBW!!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #620 on: January 03, 2014, 12:23:48 PM »

I do dream that at the end of all this misery we'll be able to celebrate the Cubs' hoisting of the ROI Champions Trophy.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: January 03, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 03, 2014, 12:19:32 PM

I find it curious that you pooh-pooh a GM's public comments in any sport and then, at the end of your remarks, reference the Cubs' new plan, which, of course, was made public because the new President and GM said so in a press conference.

Something something run setting up the pass something.

How is it curious that I find a tangible process that can be tracked to be of more value than words?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #622 on: January 03, 2014, 12:55:42 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 03, 2014, 12:23:48 PM

I do dream that at the end of all this misery we'll be able to celebrate the Cubs' hoisting of the ROI Champions Trophy.

ROI doesn't mean shit to us. It's simply what the Ricketts family is clearly focused on.
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 03, 2014, 12:55:42 PM

ROI doesn't mean shit to us. It's simply what the Ricketts family is clearly focused on.

Dunno about that, at least not 100% of them.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #624 on: January 03, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 03, 2014, 01:34:45 PM

Good stuff here. This is some awesome baseball talk.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #625 on: January 03, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 03, 2014, 01:48:41 PM

It's a round bat and a round ball and you have to hit it square.
TIME TO POST!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #626 on: January 03, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 03, 2014, 01:57:36 PM

9 men on 9 men. Pick a guy and guard him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: January 03, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 03, 2014, 01:58:13 PM
Quote from: Fork on January 03, 2014, 01:57:36 PM

9 men on 9 men. Pick a guy and guard him.

First basemen who can OPS around .900 grow on trees.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: January 03, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »

You do realize that Chuck doesn't actually enjoy watching sports?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #629 on: January 03, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »
Man, this fucking thread.

Get your shit together, guys.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.