News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,253 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
Since we don't care enough anymore to have individual game threads, let's complain, commiserate, and celebrate what happens from week to week here.  (or not, do what you want.)

Time for the Bears to start gashing Wolfman Rob's hyped-up defense.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
Between  Bennett's drops and now Briggs' dumbassery, today's performance went from bad to gutless.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 06, 2013, 02:41:46 PM
Between  Bennett's drops and now Briggs' dumbassery, today's performance went from bad to gutless.

A shiny new donkey to whomever can explain this to me before the end of the rainy season.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2013, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 06, 2013, 02:41:46 PM

A shiny new donkey to whomever can explain this to me before the end of the rainy season.

I was in agony when Earl dropped that ball, mostly because of my longstanding mancrush on him. And for most of the day, it seemed that if Briggs didn't do it on defense, it just wasn't going to get done. So to see him blunder so egregiously, well, I know irony when I see it. I need no ruling on the matter.

But I'm not going to be asshurt about this loss. Anybody with half a brain could see it coming. In two weeks, they'll be 5-2 headed into their bye week. And we'll know that they're not really all that great. If you get your hopes up with this bunch you'll end up getting hurt. That is unless they show tons of improvement despite an injury-ravaged defensive line. Football is fun though.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
Not good:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bears-dt-collins-miss-rest-181306139--nfl.html

It may be entertaining to read the list of names of players who have suited up at DT for the Bears at season's end. People were joking about Matt Toeina being available last week, but would anyone be shocked if we saw him again?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 07, 2013, 02:44:14 PM
Not good:

It may be entertaining to read the list of names of players who have suited up at DT for the Bears at season's end. People were joking about Matt Toeina being available last week, but would anyone be shocked if we saw him again?

Spice Adams!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 07, 2013, 03:11:44 PM
Not good:

Spice Adams!

http://instagram.com/p/fLUhy4weca/#

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
Not good:

Is Tommie Harris available?  Maybe Howie Long would like to suit up for the same team as his kid.  That'll sell some tickets!  Maybe Michael Strahan is sick of morning inanity and ready to return to football!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »
JOSHUM COWN SHOULDA BEEN DA STARTER ALL ALONG CUZ JAKE UTLER IS A BUM!  INTERCEPTIONS!  MOODY!  NOT ELITE!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
Unless I missed something, the most points the Bears have scored in a loss in franchise history.

Previous best: 38 versus the Rams in '54 and the Colts in '58.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 20, 2013, 04:16:57 PM
Unless I missed something, the most points the Bears have scored in a loss in franchise history.

Previous best: 38 versus the Rams in '54 and the Colts in '58.

This one hurt my heart. I can't watch that defense anymore.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 05:26:07 AM »
I'm too lazy to look this shit up or scour SKO's site to see it's been hashed out, but I thought I had heard that Mel Tucker had previously worked more extensively with a 3-4 defensive alignment prior to coming to Chicago.  And if that's the case, why on earth would he come in here and not attempt to implement it?  To appease the members of this defense?  If that's the case, then I wonder why anybody'd have felt the need to have done so in the first place--ever since last year's Seattle game I'd say the defense doesn't hold such currency--in spite of all the turnovers, pick-sixes etc.

But in any event, and in all seriousness would the 3-4 fuck up veteran players  like Briggs and Tillman?  Because from my persepctive, I think it'd be one way to perhaps get some worth out of that goddamn McLellin (which you think would've been another incentive for Emery to have pushed for it).  That boy cannot play end in the NFL.  And though Bostic didn't look to bad out there yesterday, I think he'd be better off in that same system of football.  

I'm just a football idjit, so SKO, I'll sit down and listen for my answer(s).
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2013, 05:26:07 AM
I'm too lazy to look this shit up or scour SKO's site to see it's been hashed out, but I thought I had heard that Mel Tucker had previously worked more extensively with a 3-4 defensive alignment prior to coming to Chicago.  And if that's the case, why on earth would he come in here and not attempt to implement it?  To appease the members of this defense?  If that's the case, then I wonder why anybody'd have felt the need to have done so in the first place--ever since last year's Seattle game I'd say the defense doesn't hold such currency--in spite of all the turnovers, pick-sixes etc.

But in any event, and in all seriousness would the 3-4 fuck up veteran players  like Briggs and Tillman?  Because from my persepctive, I think it'd be one way to perhaps get some worth out of that goddamn McLellin (which you think would've been another incentive for Emery to have pushed for it).  That boy cannot play end in the NFL.  And though Bostic didn't look to bad out there yesterday, I think he'd be better off in that same system of football.  

Wouldn't a 3-4 require totally different personnel on the line? Who do the Bears have that could line up at nose tackle?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 21, 2013, 08:19:38 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2013, 05:26:07 AM

Wouldn't a 3-4 require totally different personnel on the line? Who do the Bears have that could line up at nose tackle?
Tucker coached a 4-3 in Jacksonville, but he had worked with 3-4s earlier in his career. They kept the 4-3 because at the time it seemed all of their best players (Briggs, who is a prototypical 4-3 Will and wouldn't be a great fit in a 3-4 IMO, Tillman, Melton) were fits for the defense they were drafted to play, and their front four was presumed to be the strength of the team. If this defense had Henry Melton playing like he did last year and Corey Wootton keeping Shea off the field at the other end I would assume things would be at least somewhat better, but Melton never seemed the same after he got concussed and then he was struck down by Angry Bears Hating God.

Emery keeps saying a 3-4 in the future isn't likely, but we'll see. If Tillman, Melton, and the others are leaving it makes sense to try something else. Right now it would only make things worse because, as Thrill said, they have no one big enough to play the nose in a 3-4 and would require the already overmatched shity safeties to play even more man.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 08:35:11 AM »
I mean there's nothing inherently broken with the scheme, there's just no pass rush. You get no pass rush with your front four and the team's mediocre safeties get exposed by actually having to do something other than sit back in a two deep zone, and the deep plays rain in bunches. I'd like to firebarn Wright and Conte right now but odds are if the defensive line was playing anywhere close to what it did last year they wouldn't be having this problem.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015