News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: American Hustle  ( 7,184 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
American Hustle
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
As are most scam movies, this movie is very intricate and demands constant attention, so stop staring at Amy Adams' side boobs.  As you know by now this is a version of the 1970s' "Abscam" sting that trapped a number of politicians into taking bribes.  The FBI got the idea and roped in a number of politicians who might otherwise have gone on to become President, or Supreme Court Justices.  It was technically not entrapment, but if it walks like a duck, etc.  The movie is well made, and for those of us who wore those clothes, both embarrassing and depressing.  I am not certain that the movie qualifies as entertainment.  Paul Newman and Robert Redford were constantly entertaining us in "The Sting".  The final scene of "The Sting" was the icing on the cake.  This movie doesn't try to amuse as it goes along.   It is not boring, but you are aware that it goes on for a very long time to make the point that it very solidly makes.  Christian Bale has made movies where he starves himself into an emaciated skeleton.  This time he has gained around fifty pounds.  He wears an intricate comb over and hairpiece that I think explains what Donald Trump has going on up there.  Bradley Cooper could steal every scene that he is in except for the fact of Adams' décolleté and Jennifer Lawrence's voluptuousness.  The best acting in my opinion was done by Jennifer Lawrence, or maybe her part was the best  written.  Her character is so destructively stupid and self deceiving that you will wince when she really gets going.  
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: American Hustle
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 28, 2013, 05:41:52 PM
As are most scam movies, this movie is very intricate and demands constant attention, so stop staring at Amy Adams' side boobs.  As you know by now this is a version of the 1970s' "Abscam" sting that trapped a number of politicians into taking bribes.  The FBI got the idea and roped in a number of politicians who might otherwise have gone on to become President, or Supreme Court Justices.  It was technically not entrapment, but if it walks like a duck, etc.  The movie is well made, and for those of us who wore those clothes, both embarrassing and depressing.  I am not certain that the movie qualifies as entertainment.  Paul Newman and Robert Redford were constantly entertaining us in "The Sting".  The final scene of "The Sting" was the icing on the cake.  This movie doesn't try to amuse as it goes along.   It is not boring, but you are aware that it goes on for a very long time to make the point that it very solidly makes.  Christian Bale has made movies where he starves himself into an emaciated skeleton.  This time he has gained around fifty pounds.  He wears an intricate comb over and hairpiece that I think explains what Donald Trump has going on up there.  Bradley Cooper could steal every scene that he is in except for the fact of Adams' décolleté and Jennifer Lawrence's voluptuousness.  The best acting in my opinion was done by Jennifer Lawrence, or maybe her part was the best  written.  Her character is so destructively stupid and self deceiving that you will wince when she really gets going.  

I'm just wondering if you still have those clothes.

Given the cyclical nature of fashion trends, they should be back in style in about 5 or 10 years.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 30, 2013, 10:12:55 AM

Given the cyclical nature of fashion trends, they should be back in style in about 5 or 10 years.

You really want to see an 83 year old man wearing leather jeans? 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 30, 2013, 10:34:02 AM

No, mostly those giant ties and the huge collars on the shirts.

And the 70s confusing relationship with the varieties of the color "brown."
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 30, 2013, 10:39:25 AM

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 30, 2013, 11:24:01 AM

If you had used Steve Garvey, you'd owe Apex a new monitor.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
Quote from: Fork on December 30, 2013, 11:44:57 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 30, 2013, 11:24:01 AM

If you had used Steve Garvey, you'd owe Apex a new monitor.

Can't help myself...

By the way they're called "earth tones".
And all kitchens are done in avocado green.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
a;flsjdf0ioooooows/
}TPOVKSMAD;'LMCV,'
sdlvm,
EDVM,
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
Has anybody ever seen Steve Garvey and Powen in the same room together?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
I really would like to point out the truly incredible use of sideboob in this movie.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 06:16:58 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 30, 2013, 03:50:55 PM
I really would like to point out the truly incredible use of sideboob in this movie.

And the Oscar goes to... Amy Adams' midboob.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 30, 2013, 02:26:51 PM
Has anybody ever seen Steve Garvey and Powen in the same room together?

I thought the same thing when I met him. I immediately punched him in the face as hard as I could, breaking his sunglasses. He picked up a piece of broken glass and stabbed the shit out of me several times. Then we hugged it out and went to Sluggers.

The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
We went to the movies last night for the first time in 5 years (Well, I took the kids to see Planes, but the first adult movie) and this is what we saw.

Pretty sure it was a good movie, though I spend the vast majority of time amazed by the fact that movie seats now recline and you pick your seats before you even get into the theater.

Is this universal?  Holy crap, what a different theater-going experience.

Also, it costs $40 for 2 tickets, one large popcorn and one large soda.

Also, holy shit Amy Adams sideboob.

But, this was a good movie.  

I agree with everything Stew said.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 06, 2014, 10:52:35 AM
We went to the movies last night for the first time in 5 years (Well, I took the kids to see Planes, but the first adult movie) and this is what we saw.

Pretty sure it was a good movie, though I spend the vast majority of time amazed by the fact that movie seats now recline and you pick your seats before you even get into the theater.

Is this universal?  Holy crap, what a different theater-going experience.

Also, it costs $40 for 2 tickets, one large popcorn and one large soda.

Also, holy shit Amy Adams sideboob.

But, this was a good movie.  

I agree with everything Stew said.

I saw this movie over the weekend.  I can say that I was impressed by the directing, the acting, and the pacing of the movie.  However, I think this movie could have been strengthened a little bit more by having someone (anyone?) do a polish of the script, such as it was.  For the most part, I think that Russell gave the actors a vague outline of the script and then just told them to go with it, which is why the acting is so superb.  While I think Lawrence did a great job, I think Amy Adams was infinitely better, seeing as she had to play four or five (or six or seven) different characters throughout, all of which she did with aplomb.  I couldn't tell if Lawrence's accent, on the other hand, was breaking in some places, because there were moments when it was noticeable.

The soundtrack was also wonderfully selected and the score muted at precisely the right moments, which is why I think this is a great movie, but one that leaves you a "so what" kind of feel at the end; what was this movie ultimately about in the end, put another way.  This is the same way I felt about Argo last year, so I wouldn't be shocked if this wins best picture.

And Louie CK steals the show.

PS - If anyone here remembers the 1985 movie "Clue" I think you should all know that the actress who played Yvette in that movie also played Brenda the FBI cat lady in this movie.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
If anyone here has never seen "Winter's Bone"  check it out.  A teen-aged Jennifer Lawrence puts in a spectacular performance.  Later on she stole the movie away from Bradley Cooper in "Silver Linings Playbook".   Her performance in "American Hustle" came as no surprise.  Yet when you see her speaking "spontaneously" at awards shows or on The Daily Show" you wonder "Is that the same person?"