News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Your mind is literally blown  ( 29,440 )

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Your mind is literally blown
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on February 25, 2009, 10:56:10 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 25, 2009, 10:53:52 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2009, 10:22:08 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 25, 2009, 10:15:36 AM
How about this: Where are they going to smoke it? The main reason I don't deal with that shit is because, personally, I think it stinks. Anytime any friends of mine are smoking around me, and I catch wind of it, it truly makes me want to gag. I know there are certain others out there who may love the smell of it, but I, for one, cannot take it. Should I just assume that it's going to be like smoking cigarettes? You can only smoke outside of public buildings? I know I still wouldn't enjoy walking down a street and it smell horribly of marijuana.

Then here's my other angle, when I managed at Steak N Shake (even a fuckwad like me can handle a night shift when I was 18-20) I knew who did and didn't do it. I also knew that on their breaks they'd go out and toke it up. Afterwards, they were less motivated employees in general. So can we expect that businesses will ban the usage during breaks and such? And if so, couldn't the employees claim the business is taking away a right that they have by law? I would expect that some provisions must be in place to prevent that.

Personally, I wouldn't mind pot being legal. I can see the concerns of slippery slopes but I would think the benefits might outweigh the costs. If the legalization turned out to cause more harm, then it may have to be revisited. I just hope that IF lawmakers go down this route they consider many of the different options, and make sure that there is not really too much ambiguity in any piece of legislation. Make it specific and cover many different things to hopefully alleviate many of the possible problems.

Are we to assume you support municipal smoking bans, then, Republican?

You know, as long as the legislation is specific and unambiguous?

That would be a negative, but hell as long as the ACLU and the government is out there to protect "MY" rights, then if I don't want to be subjected to the smell (which is much stronger and smells worse than cigs), then don't they have the *duty* to protect "MY" rights. I mean, I'm an American godammit. They need to make sure I'm not getting my right to clean air infringed on... and while they're at it, I don't want people or symbols fucking offending me.

You're really good at changing your voice from sarcastic to serious in the same argument to make sure that nobody understand what the fuck you're talking about.

What Slakee said...are you really concerned about the smell of pot bothering you while you're walking down the street? The smoking ban was a public health issue, not an 'Ew, cigarettes smell gross!' issue. I'm just a simple caveman but I don't think the smell of marijuana on the street, where there are lots of ethers and evolved gay people farts in the air to soak it up, is a public health issue.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 25, 2009, 11:05:31 AM
How about this: Where are they going to smoke it? The main reason I don't deal with that shit is because, personally, I think it stinks. Anytime any friends of mine are smoking around me, and I catch wind of it, it truly makes me want to gag. I know there are certain others out there who may love the smell of it, but I, for one, cannot take it. Should I just assume that it's going to be like smoking cigarettes? You can only smoke outside of public buildings? I know I still wouldn't enjoy walking down a street and it smell horribly of marijuana.

Then here's my other angle, when I managed at Steak N Shake (even a fuckwad like me can handle a night shift when I was 18-20) I knew who did and didn't do it. I also knew that on their breaks they'd go out and toke it up. Afterwards, they were less motivated employees in general. So can we expect that businesses will ban the usage during breaks and such? And if so, couldn't the employees claim the business is taking away a right that they have by law? I would expect that some provisions must be in place to prevent that.

Personally, I wouldn't mind pot being legal. I can see the concerns of slippery slopes but I would think the benefits might outweigh the costs. If the legalization turned out to cause more harm, then it may have to be revisited. I just hope that IF lawmakers go down this route they consider many of the different options, and make sure that there is not really too much ambiguity in any piece of legislation. Make it specific and cover many different things to hopefully alleviate many of the possible problems.

That would be a negative, but hell as long as the ACLU and the government is out there to protect "MY" rights, then if I don't want to be subjected to the smell (which is much stronger and smells worse than cigs), then don't they have the *duty* to protect "MY" rights. I mean, I'm an American godammit. They need to make sure I'm not getting my right to clean air infringed on... and while they're at it, I don't want people or symbols fucking offending me.

You're really good at changing your voice from sarcastic to serious in the same argument to make sure that nobody understand what the fuck you're talking about.

And how. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think (hope) a subjective "bad smell" argument is enough to make a case. Maybe I'll sue that Chinese restaurant for smelling up the downtown.

You can sue your neighbor for them creating noxious odors in some cases (under a tresspass theory), but its less for a Chinese restaurant and more for the hog farm that opens across from your subdivision.  As to the question at hand, the gubermit has little difficulty regulating and taxing cigarettes and alcohol (you may disagree with how they do so, but they do so), I would think that a hybrid of the two would work for teh cannibis.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »
Quote from: RV on February 25, 2009, 11:11:22 AM

What Slakee said...are you really concerned about the smell of pot bothering you while you're walking down the street? The smoking ban was a public health issue, not an 'Ew, cigarettes smell gross!' issue. I'm just a simple caveman but I don't think the smell of marijuana on the street, where there are lots of ethers and evolved gay people farts in the air to soak it up, is a public health issue.

I think RV is giving Slakee a run for his money in "hilarious original expressions" department.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 25, 2009, 11:10:29 AM

That would be a negative, but hell as long as the ACLU and the government  is out there to protect "MY" rights, then if I don't want to be subjected to the smell (which is much stronger and smells worse than cigs), then don't they have the *duty* to protect "MY" rights. I mean, I'm an American godammit. They need to make sure I'm not getting my right to clean air infringed on... and while they're at it, I don't want people or symbols fucking offending me.

Better?

No.  I still have no idea what you're talking about.  I'm also still betting you have no idea what the ACLU actually does.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
I just find it funny that Mr. Bare Bones Libertarian is crying for a nanny state to protect him from the nefarious odor of some pungent, burning leaf.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2009, 11:30:20 AM »
What is an "evolved gay people fart"?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 25, 2009, 11:30:20 AM

If you have to ask...

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »
Quote from: MAD on February 25, 2009, 11:29:25 AM
I just find it funny that Mr. Bare Bones Libertarian is crying for a nanny state to protect him from the nefarious odor of some pungent, burning leaf.

That's kind of what I was driving at above.

But, anyways... With Yeti safely out of the way:

What about the inevitable juicy Federalism showdown if California were to somehow pass such a law?

I'd guess the Federal regulators wouldn't look too kindly on such a thing.

Nor, I'd wager, would states like Washington, Oregon, or Arizona, considering the interstate trafficking involved in the importation of the BC bud and the Acapulco gold.

I, for one, am looking forward to all-out civil war. (Featuring motorcycle marauders, natch.)
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 25, 2009, 11:05:31 AM

And how. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think (hope) a subjective "bad smell" argument is enough to make a case. Maybe I'll sue that Chinese restaurant for smelling up the downtown.

Better yet, sue the Chinese!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »
Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2009, 11:34:38 AM
Quote from: MAD on February 25, 2009, 11:29:25 AM

That's kind of what I was driving at above.

But, anyways... With Yeti safely out of the way:

What about the inevitable juicy Federalism showdown if California were to somehow pass such a law?

I'd guess the Federal regulators wouldn't look too kindly on such a thing.

Nor, I'd wager, would states like Washington, Oregon, or Arizona, considering the interstate trafficking involved in the importation of the BC bud and the Acapulco gold.

I, for one, am looking forward to all-out civil war. (Featuring motorcycle marauders, natch.)

I realize this movie probably didn't get a ton of viewing consideration for most people - but check out Super High Me. It's pretty goddamn funny but they also delve into the history of pot in California and the problem that dispensaries face when it comes to dealing with federal raids. Very fascinating stuff.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 25, 2009, 11:31:45 AM
Quote from: CBStew on February 25, 2009, 11:30:20 AM

If you have to ask...

It's an Irish Yeti queef.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
I might be wrong, and please correct me if I am (I know Tank will have no problem doing so), but my feeling is that where those stand on the War on Drugs has little correlation with party affiliation.

I don't smoke cigarettes but I think it's a little outlandish to ban smoking in restaurants and bars owned by private individuals. I think it's a lot outlandish to ban smoking in outdoor areas, like stadia. I don't see how pot should be any different.

Then again, I think people should pay for their own health care. Thus, other people's decisions to smoke shouldn't cost me money.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 25, 2009, 11:49:09 AM
I might be wrong, and please correct me if I am (I know Tank will have no problem doing so), but my feeling is that where those stand on the War on Drugs has little correlation with party affiliation.

The War on Drugs has been bipartisan, yes.  Libertarians on the right (no less conservative authorites than William F. Buckley and Milton Friedman were long-time advocates for legalization...well Buckely after his son got popped for possession) and the flag-burning granola-eatin' hippies on the life like Jerry Brown and Dennis Kucinich have been on record, but everyone else has been either too bought and sold by the religious groups and the alcohol and tobacco lobby or just plain chickenshit to speak to reason at the risk of losing votes from people who had been mobilized by the aforementioend groups to actually speak out in favor it.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 25, 2009, 11:58:08 AM
Quote from: Brownie on February 25, 2009, 11:49:09 AM

The War on Drugs has been bipartisan, yes.  Libertarians on the right (no less conservative authorites than William F. Buckley and Milton Friedman were long-time advocates for legalization...well Buckely after his son got popped for possession) and the flag-burning granola-eatin' hippies on the life like Jerry Brown and Dennis Kucinich have been on record, but everyone else has been either too bought and sold by the religious groups and the alcohol and tobacco lobby or just plain chickenshit to speak to reason at the risk of losing votes from people who had been mobilized by the aforementioend groups to actually speak out in favor it.

Very much this. Sad.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 25, 2009, 11:58:08 AM
... but everyone else has been either too bought and sold by the religious groups and the alcohol and tobacco lobby or just plain chickenshit to speak to reason at the risk of losing votes from people who had been mobilized by the aforementioend groups to actually speak out in favor it.

That, plus the fact that majorities of their constituents were probably against it.

When are people going to learn? Democracy doesn't work!
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser