News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Dinner for Schmucks  ( 1,670 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Dinner for Schmucks
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
No one has posted about this yet?  Maybe Mrs. Cubbieblue is right.  She says that I owe her for this one.  I think that she is just trying to clear the books and get us even for "Julie and Julia".  I enjoyed this movie.  It has a cloying ending and the "Schmuck off" between Carrell and Galifanakis which is suppposed to be the grand climax just didn't get there.  But the movie as a whole is very funny.  You can really see echoes of the French farce that inspired the movie.  In the French original they never even show the actual dinner.  This movie would have been better without it, because the build up is so great that the dinner couldn't possibly meet your expectations.  The blind fencer was funny, but there is nothing funny about the lady who has dry heaves while she talks to the spirits of the dead animals at the dinner table.  Steve Carrell is very good, and Paul Rudd will go down in movie history as one of the greatest straight men of all time.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Dinner for Schmucks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 15, 2010, 10:53:07 AM
No one has posted about this yet?  Maybe Mrs. Cubbieblue is right.  She says that I owe her for this one.  I think that she is just trying to clear the books and get us even for "Julie and Julia".  I enjoyed this movie.  It has a cloying ending and the "Schmuck off" between Carrell and Galifanakis which is suppposed to be the grand climax just didn't get there.  But the movie as a whole is very funny.  You can really see echoes of the French farce that inspired the movie.  In the French original they never even show the actual dinner.  This movie would have been better without it, because the build up is so great that the dinner couldn't possibly meet your expectations.  The blind fencer was funny, but there is nothing funny about the lady who has dry heaves while she talks to the spirits of the dead animals at the dinner table.  Steve Carrell is very good, and Paul Rudd will go down in movie history as one of the greatest straight men of all time.

We get it, you and IAN are a lot alike and you have nothing to do other than watch movies all weekend.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
So it's not as stupid as the adverts would have me believe, then?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:42:38 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 15, 2010, 06:28:02 PM

We get it, you and IAN are a lot alike and you have nothing to do other than watch movies all weekend.

I hope Stew outlives you.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »

You can't deny the Paul Rudd part, though.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 16, 2010, 06:42:38 AM

I hope Stew outlives you.

Stew will...because he's the man.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 16, 2010, 07:51:57 AM

You can't deny the Paul Rudd part, though.

the downside is that when Paul Rudd does his best straight man work, it usually involves Seth Rogen.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16