News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 310,310 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #1200 on: February 02, 2009, 06:40:01 PM »
Quote from: Pre on February 02, 2009, 05:02:44 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 28, 2009, 10:52:24 AM
I just thought it was interesting that the guy is clearly a good enough actor to play a very funny role without having any concept of what funny is.  They say Steve Martin is like that.

Steve Martin, recent terrible movie sell outs aside, is brilliant.  Comparing Rainn Wilson to him would be like comparing Weebs' analytical skills
to Roger Ebert's

"California Story" and "Bowfinger" are about as good as comedy can get.  Everything Martin has made since them is dreck.                                         
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1201 on: February 02, 2009, 06:53:42 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 02, 2009, 06:40:01 PM
I just thought it was interesting that the guy is clearly a good enough actor to play a very funny role without having any concept of what funny is.  They say Steve Martin is like that.

Steve Martin, recent terrible movie sell outs aside, is brilliant.  Comparing Rainn Wilson to him would be like comparing Weebs' analytical skills
to Roger Ebert's

"California L.A. Story" and "Bowfinger" are about as good as comedy can get.  Everything Martin has made since them is dreck.                                         

Surely you wouldn't want all of California to be reduced to Los Angeles' excesses, Stew?
FIRE EVERYBODY!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1202 on: February 02, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
Quote from: Mike Douche on February 02, 2009, 06:53:42 PM

to Roger Ebert's

"California L.A. Story" and "Bowfinger" are about as good as comedy can get.  Everything Martin has made since them is dreck.                                         

Surely you wouldn't want all of California to be reduced to Los Angeles' excesses, Stew?

Wow.  How did I do that?  Somehow Los Angeles says "California" to me, even though I have lived in Northern California for the last 60 years.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1203 on: February 02, 2009, 08:24:03 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 02, 2009, 07:36:56 PM
Quote from: Mike Douche on February 02, 2009, 06:53:42 PM

to Roger Ebert's

Wow.  How did I do that?  Somehow Los Angeles says "California" to me, even though I have lived in Northern California for the last 60 years.

You're so old.

Roasted!
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1204 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 02, 2009, 05:51:49 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 02, 2009, 04:58:53 PM
Quote from: Weebs on February 02, 2009, 03:29:37 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 02, 2009, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: Mike Douche on February 02, 2009, 12:30:09 PM
Can we lock Weebs from this thread?  

How could anyone not have burst out laughing at least 4 times in this episode?  Does Weebs not pay attention to the secondary characters like Creed and Oscar, or is he like the knuckle-dragging Bears fans around this place who spend way too much time focusing on the quarterback position?  I had almost forgotten about the Pam and Jim storyline until Weebs complained about it, although I did find the idea of Jim's future father-in-law wearing his robe hysterical.

I laughed only about 3 times. This episode was kind of entertaining. I'll admit, I have not fully gotten into this series as of yet. I have a couple of seasons on que on the SecksBox to watch.. I just haven't yet. I watched a bit of the first episode and was kind of bored.

Not realistic enough, right?  RIGHT?!

When does a comedy have to be realistic? I think part of the appeal of comedies is that they are a little break from reality and just have fun. This one looks like it's a huge mock of office-life.

That is your Yeti inside tip to comedies for the day.

I'm not sure I ever said the problem with The Office is that it isn't realistic (and if I did, my mistake), but rather that the characters aren't believable anymore, even though Dwight specifically was pretty over-the-top to begin with.  I'm all for character development, but once season 4 hit, they turned really interesting, relatable characters into completely ridiculous exaggerations.  Andy, while still hilarious, is nowhere near the same character he was in season 3, even after anger management.  I still think it has some very funny moments every week, but it's not the same show it was in seasons 1-3.

And I think that will be my last contribution to this thread.  You're welcome.

I know very little of show, nor do I know of this Weebs-Office thing. I don't feel like going back and reading into it. I do know that I never take shows too seriously. I mean, every show has it's own little mannerisms that make it interesting/funny. But I guess I can understand you not liking it anymore.. I just don't care too much about it all. I'll come back to this thread when I've watched a little more of this show.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1205 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 02, 2009, 04:58:53 PM
Quote from: Weebs on February 02, 2009, 03:29:37 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 02, 2009, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: Mike Douche on February 02, 2009, 12:30:09 PM
Can we lock Weebs from this thread?  

How could anyone not have burst out laughing at least 4 times in this episode?  Does Weebs not pay attention to the secondary characters like Creed and Oscar, or is he like the knuckle-dragging Bears fans around this place who spend way too much time focusing on the quarterback position?  I had almost forgotten about the Pam and Jim storyline until Weebs complained about it, although I did find the idea of Jim's future father-in-law wearing his robe hysterical.

I laughed only about 3 times. This episode was kind of entertaining. I'll admit, I have not fully gotten into this series as of yet. I have a couple of seasons on que on the SecksBox to watch.. I just haven't yet. I watched a bit of the first episode and was kind of bored.

Not realistic enough, right?  RIGHT?!

When does a comedy have to be realistic? I think part of the appeal of comedies is that they are a little break from reality and just have fun. This one looks like it's a huge mock of office-life.

That is your Yeti inside tip to comedies for the day.

I'm not sure I ever said the problem with The Office is that it isn't realistic (and if I did, my mistake), but rather that the characters aren't believable anymore, even though Dwight specifically was pretty over-the-top to begin with.  I'm all for character development, but once season 4 hit, they turned really interesting, relatable characters into completely ridiculous exaggerations.  Andy, while still hilarious, is nowhere near the same character he was in season 3, even after anger management.  I still think it has some very funny moments every week, but it's not the same show it was in seasons 1-3.

And I think that will be my last contribution to this thread.  You're welcome.

You're not smart.  Go play video games.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1206 on: February 02, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »
And I think that will be my last contribution to this thread.

Thank you.

Quote from: Weebs on February 02, 2009, 05:51:49 PMYou're welcome.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1207 on: February 02, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »
Also, how awesome is it that Michael thinks You Tube is a production company?

"We'll get You Tube to come and film it."
FIRE EVERYBODY!

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2009, 12:19:38 AM »
Quote from: Mike Douche on February 02, 2009, 11:51:43 PM

Very awesome.

There were about 50 laugh out loud moments in this episode. I usually forget most of them until this thread reminds me.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2009, 09:45:02 AM »

I really think this is the genius of the show.  It's these, seemingly, throwaway lines that are hilarious.  It takes a second to register what you just hear, and then you can't stop laughing.

I know I've talked about it before, but to me there's one glaring difference between the American version and the Brit version.  In the Brit version, David never sees the folly of his ways.  He's awkward, and continues to be so even after light is shed on what he has caused.  Michael, on the other hand, always seems to resolve whatever problem he has caused.  And, if the problem is not resolved, at least Michael seems to try to smooth it over.  David never "gets it".

There's something tragic about Michael.  There's something sinister about David.

Just a thought.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 03, 2009, 09:45:02 AM

I really think this is the genius of the show.  It's these, seemingly, throwaway lines that are hilarious.  It takes a second to register what you just hear, and then you can't stop laughing.

I know I've talked about it before, but to me there's one glaring difference between the American version and the Brit version.  In the Brit version, David never sees the folly of his ways.  He's awkward, and continues to be so even after light is shed on what he has caused.  Michael, on the other hand, always seems to resolve whatever problem he has caused.  And, if the problem is not resolved, at least Michael seems to try to smooth it over.  David never "gets it".

There's something tragic about Michael.  There's something sinister about David.

Just a thought.

What I love about Michael is how he's a total moron and yet somehow he's the best branch manager in the company and they have to kiss his ass. The economy sucks (not sure if you've been hearing about that. you been hearin about that?) and he's the only one making money for Dunder-Mifflin. He seems to always close his business deals.

I love this show.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #1211 on: February 03, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on February 03, 2009, 10:08:33 AM

Just a thought.

What I love about Michael is how he's a total moron and yet somehow he's the best branch manager in the company and they have to kiss his ass. The economy sucks (not sure if you've been hearing about that. you been hearin about that?) and he's the only one making money for Dunder-Mifflin. He seems to always close his business deals.

I love this show.

Michael succeeds at sales because he is gritty and has heart. People like Ryan fail because they use their laptop science they learned at business school.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1212 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »

Just a thought.

I love this show.

In spite of, or perhaps because of, Michael's complete ineptitude he's a great salesman.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1213 on: February 03, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »

I love this show.

That's my favorite part of the show.  Why doesn't Dunder-Mifflin just fire his ridiculous ass?  Because he makes money.  In both the Applebee's episode with Tim Meadows, and the paper convention episode, he closed huge deals despite playing the fool the entire time.  They're clearly trying to cater to Weebs by making it BELIEVABLE that he would keep his job.
Hire Jim Essian!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1214 on: February 03, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 03, 2009, 11:43:04 AM

I love this show.

That's my favorite part of the show.  Why doesn't Dunder-Mifflin just fire his ridiculous ass?  Because he makes money.  In both the Applebee's Chili's episode with Tim Meadows, and the paper convention episode, he closed huge deals despite playing the fool the entire time.  They're clearly trying to cater to Weebs by making it BELIEVABLE that he would keep his job.

It's the new golf course'd.