News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 310,305 )

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2006, 09:16:14 AM »
Quote from: Slaky311 on May 11, 2006, 10:45:57 PM
Quote from: CPT on May 11, 2006, 10:43:55 PM
I like to steal stuff.

Kevin might be my favorite. The WSoP Bracelet?? Thats comedy.

The drummer as lead singer needs to come back.  Scrantonicity rocks.
If we're so fucking superior, why are we working here?

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2006, 11:59:44 AM »
Quote from: CPT on May 12, 2006, 09:16:14 AM
I like to steal stuff.

Gotta love poor Kevin's low self-esteem.  He went All In with 3 Queens and Phyllis beat him with a straight she didn't even know she had ("I've got an Ace").  Afterwards, Kevin was beating himself up, even though he lost on a fluke.  He's definitely my favorite character.

Slaky311

• Resident Aardsmologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2006, 12:02:03 PM »
Quote from: Huey on May 12, 2006, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: CPT on May 12, 2006, 09:16:14 AM
I like to steal stuff.

Gotta love poor Kevin's low self-esteem.  He went All In with 3 Queens and Phyllis beat him with a straight she didn't even know she had ("I've got an Ace").  Afterwards, Kevin was beating himself up, even though he lost on a fluke.  He's definitely my favorite character.

That happened to me in a big tournament (home game) when some douchefilet's girlfriend went all in and didn't even know what she had. Then proceeded to yip and OHMYGOOOOOODDDDDDD for like 10 minutes. It is embarrassing.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2006, 12:32:16 PM »
But, I'm a sap and I will admit it, even at the risk of being called gay by Fork, that the Jim and Pam thing was one of the biggest TV highlights in the last umpteen years for me. That was incredible.

I have to disagree here.  I think they have changed the entire genetic makeup for the show and it can never be put back.  Sure I wanted Jim and Pam together, but I could have waited another 4 seasons. 

I look at a show like Cheers, and how they drew out Sam and Diane's relationship for the better part of 6 seasons.  The lack of complication that comes from a relationship from your main love story leaves the show funny and light hearted.  Hell, even the chimps who wrote Friends had the good sense to have Ross and Rachel wait a couple years before putting them together.  Jim and Pam's kiss was irresponsibly impatient.

So much of this show is built around subtlety.  I have the highest of respect for the writers of the Office, as they currently churn out the best show on television every week.  However, this time the writers went the way of the cookie cutter sitcom and brought the audience a convienient, unoriginal resolution far before one was necessary.  I had come to expect more from this show.

Slaky311

• Resident Aardsmologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2006, 12:36:28 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on May 12, 2006, 12:32:16 PM
But, I'm a sap and I will admit it, even at the risk of being called gay by Fork, that the Jim and Pam thing was one of the biggest TV highlights in the last umpteen years for me. That was incredible.

I have to disagree here.  I think they have changed the entire genetic makeup for the show and it can never be put back.  Sure I wanted Jim and Pam together, but I could have waited another 4 seasons. 

I look at a show like Cheers, and how they drew out Sam and Diane's relationship for the better part of 6 seasons.  The lack of complication that comes from a relationship from your main love story leaves the show funny and light hearted.  Hell, even the chimps who wrote Friends had the good sense to have Ross and Rachel wait a couple years before putting them together.  Jim and Pam's kiss was irresponsibly impatient.

So much of this show is built around subtlety.  I have the highest of respect for the writers of the Office, as they currently churn out the best show on television every week.  However, this time the writers went the way of the cookie cutter sitcom and brought the audience a convienient, unoriginal resolution far before one was necessary.  I had come to expect more from this show.

I knew a lot of people, especially here, would be turned off by that. And thats ok. But to say thats a convenient little ending is so off base. Think about all the shit that moment is going to drudge up. There way too many ways to go with that. All we know is that Pam and Jim kissed and Pam is seriously questioning her marriage plans. We have no idea what happens next. Thats the way I'm choosing to look at it anyway.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2006, 01:09:32 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on May 12, 2006, 12:32:16 PM

We'll see how the writers handle it next season.  Anyway, they had me fooled.  I was pretty damn sure that Jim was going to end up sleeping with the chick who drove up from corporate to be Michael's 2nd date.

TG

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »
Quote from: CPT on May 12, 2006, 01:09:32 PM

We'll see how the writers handle it next season.  Anyway, they had me fooled.  I was pretty damn sure that Jim was going to end up sleeping with the chick who drove up from corporate to be Michael's 2nd date.

I also expected Jim to tell Pam he was transferring there at the end.  Didn't really see the love confession coming.

Slaky311

• Resident Aardsmologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »
Quote from: TG on May 12, 2006, 01:39:19 PM

I also expected Jim to tell Pam he was transferring there at the end.  Didn't really see the love confession coming.

Totally agreed, I also though Jim and Jan were gonna get it on. I think they had almost all of us fooled. Did not see it coming at all, which is why I thought it was so grea.t

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2006, 01:51:20 PM »

So did I.

I disagree about the show going sour now as a result.  While I agree with how it went down on "Cheers" you were also dealing with the two main characters.  Jim's character is certainly central, but I think the show will do just fine if he shows up next year in Wilkes-Barre.  Just bring in some other character that's the closest thing to Jim's normalcy (as well as serving as Dwight's foil) and roll with it.  You can do without the Pamcrush storyline.  It was well done, but not the reason I kept watching.  The best part of the show is how they slowly developed the entire ensemble.  I'm looking forward ot more Creed, more Oscar, more Kevin, more Angela etc.  It's almost "Simponsesque" how they have been able to develop former background characters.  

I think the show's got a lot of life.

SD

• Victim Of The Cubs Crack/Quack Medical Staff
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
Quote from: Slaky311 on May 12, 2006, 01:49:02 PM

Totally agreed, I also though Jim and Jan were gonna get it on. I think they had almost all of us fooled. Did not see it coming at all, which is why I thought it was so grea.t

I was in the same boat as the rest of you folks.  I thought Jan was making the booty call.

I think they shot the wad too early.  But, as with anytime the wad is shot, it felt so, so good.  Doesn't matter if it felt right or not.  I would have put it off for a few more seasons, but we'll see where it goes.  It isn't like they're bone dry for material now. 

Being a bit of a poker aficionado, I totally felt Kevin's pain after losing to Phyllis.  Not so much because of the hand, but because of the comment.  "I got all the clovers!"  or thereabouts.  That's a swifty to the softies.  Either way, Kevin was the real winner of the night.  The production values of that video = priceless.  Tell me, who wouldn't want an avatar/pic of Kevin with the '80s video coloring in mid-lyric?

Oh, yeah, I guess you could call Jim the winner.  I especially liked Michael's lead up to the final scene.  I was thinking Michael's scene was going to cap it.  Then, cut to dimmed office, and the rest, they say, is history.
Alpha And Omega.  The Beginning And The End.  The First And The Last.

Slaky311

• Resident Aardsmologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2006, 02:19:04 PM »
Quote from: SD on May 12, 2006, 02:16:24 PM

I was in the same boat as the rest of you folks.  I thought Jan was making the booty call.

I think they shot the wad too early.  But, as with anytime the wad is shot, it felt so, so good.  Doesn't matter if it felt right or not.  I would have put it off for a few more seasons, but we'll see where it goes.  It isn't like they're bone dry for material now. 

Being a bit of a poker aficionado, I totally felt Kevin's pain after losing to Phyllis.  Not so much because of the hand, but because of the comment.  "I got all the clovers!"  or thereabouts.  That's a swifty to the softies.  Either way, Kevin was the real winner of the night.  The production values of that video = priceless.  Tell me, who wouldn't want an avatar/pic of Kevin with the '80s video coloring in mid-lyric?

Oh, yeah, I guess you could call Jim the winner.  I especially liked Michael's lead up to the final scene.  I was thinking Michael's scene was going to cap it.  Then, cut to dimmed office, and the rest, they say, is history.

I really can't complain. The whole thing was brillant, and made my night.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2006, 02:25:24 PM »
Quote from: SD on May 12, 2006, 02:16:24 PM

Oh, yeah, I guess you could call Jim the winner.  I especially liked Michael's lead up to the final scene.   I was thinking Michael's scene was going to cap it.  Then, cut to dimmed office, and the rest, they say, is history.

What makes that line even better is that Steve Carrell (Michael) wrote this episode.  And count me in with those surprised... may have been the biggest surprise on TV since Tony got shot in the first season of the Sapranos
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2006, 02:26:10 PM »
What's the name of the older guy who steals stuff?  He's definitely got the makings of a Simpsonsesque background character.

I've never owned a refrigerator before.

Slaky311

• Resident Aardsmologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2006, 02:45:23 PM »
Quote from: CPT on May 12, 2006, 02:26:10 PM
What's the name of the older guy who steals stuff?  He's definitely got the makings of a Simpsonsesque background character.

That is Creed. He is awesome. When he grows those beans in his desk and they smell like death? Phenomenal.

berserker

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »
Quote from: Slaky311 on May 12, 2006, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: CPT on May 12, 2006, 02:26:10 PM

That is Creed. He is awesome. When he grows those beans in his desk and they smell like death? Phenomenal.

I liked when he identified the weed by breed