News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired  ( 163,425 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 12:32:33 PM
Rush sucks.

You would say this about a band that tours with chicken roasters on stage?

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:40 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 16, 2009, 12:57:07 PM
Rush sucks.

I really, really like Rush.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 16, 2009, 12:58:40 PM
Rush sucks.

What about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high?

I wonder if he talks like an ordinary guy.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 01:06:21 PM
Rush sucks.

I think he does. I completely understand the annoying factor. I'm certainly not interested in debating the merits of their music.

Keep in mind my musical taste has evolved from metal to death metal back to prog metal and Rush and now into the whatever sounds good and isn't irritating or overbearingly popular.

If I really wanted to start a debate with a few people around here I could tell you how I went from enjoying Kings of Leon to absolutely loathing them in a matter of weeks. Oleg and BH - I know you want summa this.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »

I still remember that three months when Slaky toured the region following the Doobie Brothers.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 16, 2009, 01:16:01 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 01:06:21 PM
Rush sucks.

I think know him and he does.

And you're my fact-checking cuz'd

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 16, 2009, 01:18:47 PM

I still remember that three months when Slaky toured the region following the Doobie Brothers.

Turns out they just really like doobies, man.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 01:37:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owqeiVydPS4

Adding...

http://badnewscubs.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/all-the-faggots-talking-shit-about-jay-mariotti-faggot-wv23-rick-faggot-band-pavement-collusion/

QuoteWant proof of what a bunch of fucking dorks these statfags are? Click here.

When I was in college, the band that all the dorks liked was Pavement. Sebadoh, Super Chunk, Guided By Voices. These are bands that pussy ass faggots liked. The dude from Pavement was always crying because the Smashing Pumpkins were so much better than him. Likewise he resented the Seattle bands.

Want to know what the head faggot of Pavement, Stephen Malkmus, does with his spare time? Gay ass fantasy leagues. I guarantee he pores over gay ass shit like fag shares and ZORP too. This is the kind of rock group that Faggous Maximus and Shawn D. Goldman listen to. What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Can you imagine Shawn D. Goldman trying to defend someone in the post in basketball? Are you fucking serious? If you're playing football and you've got the ball... and the tackler ahead is Gauis Faggimous, do you A, run right; B, juke left; or C, run right at the faggot and watch him dip out of the way? Obvious answer.

I hate fucking Pavement. That band always sucked because he didn't have the guts to be emotional and honest in his writing. He's a pussy. So now he spends his time poring over stats in Fag Leagues. Fucking faggot.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 02:10:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 01:37:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owqeiVydPS4

Adding...

http://badnewscubs.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/all-the-faggots-talking-shit-about-jay-mariotti-faggot-wv23-rick-faggot-band-pavement-collusion/

QuoteWant proof of what a bunch of fucking dorks these statfags are? Click here.

When I was in college, the band that all the dorks liked was Pavement. Sebadoh, Super Chunk, Guided By Voices. These are bands that pussy ass faggots liked. The dude from Pavement was always crying because the Smashing Pumpkins were so much better than him. Likewise he resented the Seattle bands.

Want to know what the head faggot of Pavement, Stephen Malkmus, does with his spare time? Gay ass fantasy leagues. I guarantee he pores over gay ass shit like fag shares and ZORP too. This is the kind of rock group that Faggous Maximus and Shawn D. Goldman listen to. What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Can you imagine Shawn D. Goldman trying to defend someone in the post in basketball? Are you fucking serious? If you're playing football and you've got the ball... and the tackler ahead is Gauis Faggimous, do you A, run right; B, juke left; or C, run right at the faggot and watch him dip out of the way? Obvious answer.

I hate fucking Pavement. That band always sucked because he didn't have the guts to be emotional and honest in his writing. He's a pussy. So now he spends his time poring over stats in Fag Leagues. Fucking faggot.

Irish Yeti has a blog?

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2009, 02:33:38 PM »
Quote from: bocaj on January 16, 2009, 12:51:04 PM
Was it The Ramones' attitude that they should make shitty music?

Sometimes shitty music is the best kind of music.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 16, 2009, 12:45:24 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 12:34:55 PM

Paul Di'Anno vs. Bruce Dickinson

The answer should be obvious to anyone with taste.

Dickinson without a doubt.

By the way - Dickinson is the worst last name for a father to have.

Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 12:48:00 PM
Men of true taste and distinction.

(Bracing for Tonker...)

FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 16, 2009, 12:30:03 PM
Quote from: bocaj on January 16, 2009, 12:27:17 PM
Quote from: Oleg on January 16, 2009, 10:33:27 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 16, 2009, 07:57:33 AM

To expand on Tonk's song quoting, while there is beauty to be found in a really good album, there is nothing as enjoyable to me as a perfectly crafted single. Phil Spector was capable of doing more in 2 minutes 30 seconds than Pink Floyd could do in a double album.

Neither Nirvana album could capture the disenfranchisement and alienation of youth as perfectly as "Blitzkrieg Bop".

No number of books about Beatlemania could explain what the fuss was all about as neatly as everything from the drum roll to the ending harmony of "She Loves You".

I don't disagree; however, your point is generational.  I would disagree about your conclusions, however.  I'm not about to argue against Phil Spector (or anything that was done in Detroit at the time).  Nor am I going to take anything away from The Ramones.  However, to dismiss Nirvana so brazenly shows nothing except that you came of age about 13 years before I did.

There's no way you can tell me, that as a 19 year old kid going away to college that the angst I felt about what was going on around me, and to me, was somehow less valid than what you went through.  You had The Ramones; we had Nirvana.  One is more relevant than the other because one came earlier.  Teenage angst is a crazy thing, and we may make fun of it in our thirties, but God damn we felt that shit and it made us who we are.

The funny thing is that you didn't even mention what may be the most influential angst in our lifetimes, the hip hop/rap movement.  The evolution of that genre and the voice it gave to millions of youths who had no voice before is completely overlooked.  Granted, as with any sub-genre, it gave rise to a load of crap, but Afrika Bambata and Public Enemy and The Roots are as important to our culture as The Ramones and (putting on the flame suit) The Beach Boys.

Rock N Roll has proven to be an ever-evolving art-form.  We have moved from 2 minute AM singles to wall of sound, record-side length "songs" of the Dead to teenage anger punk to an inner city voice with rap and hip-hop.  And everything in between and back again.  Nothing in rock music is linear, and that's what makes it so fucking awesome.

Arguing about REM vs The Jam is splitting hairs.

Holy shit, do I love rock-n-roll!

I don't care what generation you're a part of, how could you possibly think that The Ramones are anything but unadulterated crap? Sure, they had spunk and all, but I'm still not even sure that they ever decided to write another melody after their first one....

"Rock and roll is all about attitude. you don't have to play the best guitar" - Johnny Thunders
How about attitude and great guitar?
The Ramones never did it for me, the whole worshipping of them always seemed a little forced and too New York centric.
My biggest dissapointment with The Jam is that they didn't last longer, recording only from 77 to 82. I feel the same way about the Talking Heads.
In high school I thought Rush was the fucking balls. I haven't listened to them in years.
But I loved Zappa at that time as well and I appreciate him more now than ever. Maybe I grew up.  
Who else rocked early on but his later stuff makes me fall asleep?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen