News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired  ( 163,424 )

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2009, 07:14:29 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 20, 2009, 05:49:43 AM
Quote from: 5laky on January 16, 2009, 05:26:12 PM
What sucks for those of my generation, who never got the chance to see these classic rock giants at their best, is that there won't be anything like those bands anymore. The Stones, The Who, Zeppelin, etc. Now, I wasn't around then so maybe they weren't as mainstream as I imagine them to be (the charts from those days tell me otherwise though).

But look at today's biggest acts. There aren't a ton of super popular rock bands with the body of work to back it up. Everything popular now is just not that good. You have to seek out the good stuff, and there's a lot of it. But those bands won't have the following that these bands from the 60s and 70s had. Not even close.

I don't know if I have a point.

It might be something like, the 60s and 70s were awesome.

I saw Zeppelin at the Stadium in '77. They blew huge chunks. Literally - I think Bonzo was puking on the drum riser.

Other than the Eagles in 1980, worst fucking concert I've ever been to, and I took a girlfriend to see the Bangles.

Sure but that was 77, maybe if you'd seen them in 72 or 73? It would have been easier if you lived in England, but I digress. And saying the Eagles was the worst concert you've ever seen is like saying peanut butter is awesome.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2009, 07:19:49 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 16, 2009, 03:41:03 PM
Quote from: Tonker on January 16, 2009, 03:17:04 PM
Quote from: 5laky on January 16, 2009, 12:45:24 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 12:34:55 PM

Paul Di'Anno vs. Bruce Dickinson

The answer should be obvious to anyone with taste.

Dickinson without a doubt.

By the way - Dickinson is the worst last name for a father to have.

Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 12:48:00 PM
Men of true taste and distinction.

(Bracing for Tonker...)

FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

My half-Scottish brother in law says that EVERY TWO MINUTES. What is wrong with you people?

I've been thinking about this (yes, I do have too much time on my hands, why do you ask?), and want to make something clear.  Bruce Dickinson is one of my favourite people in the World.  He's a great singer and showman, and is one of the most intelligent and likeable people in music.  He was the frontman when I saw Maiden in '91, and he fucking ROCKED.  I would love to go for a pint with him.  If Paul Di'Anno had never existed, Bruce Dickinson would have been everything I'd ever wanted.

If.  If, if, if.  DiAnno is still the starter in my Maiden fantasy team, every time.  Because.  Of.  That.  Voice.

There's only two voices better, in my book :  Steve Marriott and Karen Carpenter.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 20, 2009, 07:19:49 AM

(Bracing for Tonker...)

FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

My half-Scottish brother in law says that EVERY TWO MINUTES. What is wrong with you people?

I've been thinking about this (yes, I do have too much time on my hands, why do you ask?), and want to make something clear.  Bruce Dickinson is one of my favourite people in the World.  He's a great singer and showman, and is one of the most intelligent and likeable people in music.  He was the frontman when I saw Maiden in '91, and he fucking ROCKED.  I would love to go for a pint with him.  If Paul Di'Anno had never existed, Bruce Dickinson would have been everything I'd ever wanted.

If.  If, if, if.  DiAnno is still the starter in my Maiden fantasy team, every time.  Because.  Of.  That.  Voice.

There's only two voices better, in my book :  Steve Marriott and Karen Carpenter.

Imagine if Mama Cass had given Karen Carpenter her ham sandwich...yes, I know she didn't really die from a sandwich, but the joke wouldn't work otherwise.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on January 19, 2009, 08:51:08 PM
Quote from: 5laky on January 16, 2009, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 02:10:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2009, 01:37:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owqeiVydPS4

Adding...

http://badnewscubs.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/all-the-faggots-talking-shit-about-jay-mariotti-faggot-wv23-rick-faggot-band-pavement-collusion/

QuoteWant proof of what a bunch of fucking dorks these statfags are? Click here.

When I was in college, the band that all the dorks liked was Pavement. Sebadoh, Super Chunk, Guided By Voices. These are bands that pussy ass faggots liked. The dude from Pavement was always crying because the Smashing Pumpkins were so much better than him. Likewise he resented the Seattle bands.

Want to know what the head faggot of Pavement, Stephen Malkmus, does with his spare time? Gay ass fantasy leagues. I guarantee he pores over gay ass shit like fag shares and ZORP too. This is the kind of rock group that Faggous Maximus and Shawn D. Goldman listen to. What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Can you imagine Shawn D. Goldman trying to defend someone in the post in basketball? Are you fucking serious? If you're playing football and you've got the ball... and the tackler ahead is Gauis Faggimous, do you A, run right; B, juke left; or C, run right at the faggot and watch him dip out of the way? Obvious answer.

I hate fucking Pavement. That band always sucked because he didn't have the guts to be emotional and honest in his writing. He's a pussy. So now he spends his time poring over stats in Fag Leagues. Fucking faggot.

Irish Yeti has a blog?

Yea, what of it, faggot?

In character'd.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 20, 2009, 07:22:50 AM
Quote from: Tonker on January 20, 2009, 07:19:49 AM

(Bracing for Tonker...)

FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Imagine if Mama Cass had given Karen Carpenter her ham sandwich...yes, I know she didn't really die from a sandwich, but the joke wouldn't work otherwise.

You forgot to put this in [fork] brackets.

Oh, wait... Carry on.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 17, 2009, 06:42:46 PM
So as I was saying way back in this thread - if there is a better song than "My Girls" by Animal Collective released in this calendar year, it'll be a fantastic year.

This here isn't a video for the song, but it's the only free listen to the full track I could find.

Here's the video - wow.  http://www.myanimalhome.net/

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on January 21, 2009, 11:24:52 PM
So as I was saying way back in this thread - if there is a better song than "My Girls" by Animal Collective released in this calendar year, it'll be a fantastic year.

This here isn't a video for the song, but it's the only free listen to the full track I could find.

Holy shit. That was awesome. Great find.

QuoteIs it much to admit I need
A solid soul and the blood I bleed
With a little girl, and by my spouse
I only want a proper house

I don't care for fancy things
Or to take part in a precious race
And children cry for the one who has
A real big heart and a father's grace

I don't mean to seem like I care about material things like a social status
I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2009, 10:00:22 AM »

Saw Animal Collective last night at the Metro. Despite the fact that it was an all ages show (meaning it ends promptly at 10 pm) I was blown away. They are a must-see live if you have any interest in them. It's quite an experience. The reggae influence really shows when they're live and the songs take on a whole new energy.

It also helps to be baked.

10 stars.

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2009, 10:04:02 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 23, 2009, 10:00:22 AM

Saw Animal Collective last night at the Metro. Despite the fact that it was an all ages show (meaning it ends promptly at 10 pm) I was blown away. They are a must-see live if you have any interest in them. It's quite an experience. The reggae influence really shows when they're live and the songs take on a whole new energy.

10 stars.

Shit.  I was very tempted to walk over and pay the $100 or whatever to scalp a ticket last night.  Instead, I settled for youtubing every AC thing I could get my hands on.  I have a real problem right now.  There are some ridiculous renditions of Purple Bottle and Brother Sport online.

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2009, 10:05:24 AM »
DPD

By the way, they're playing in Milwaukee in April or May.  That may fulfill my annual WI quota for 2009.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on January 23, 2009, 10:04:02 AM

10 stars.

Shit.  I was very tempted to walk over and pay the $100 or whatever to scalp a ticket last night.  Instead, I settled for youtubing every AC thing I could get my hands on.  I have a real problem right now.  There are some ridiculous renditions of Purple Bottle and Brother Sport online.

They played mostly new stuff - highlights were of course Brother Sport and My Girls. They also played Leaf House which was great. The encore was Panda Bear's Comfy in Nautica which was a surprise and totally fucking awesome. Panda Bear is the shit. I love that guy.

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 23, 2009, 10:10:32 AM

10 stars.

They played mostly new stuff - highlights were of course Brother Sport and My Girls. They also played Leaf House which was great. The encore was Panda Bear's Comfy in Nautica which was a surprise and totally fucking awesome. Panda Bear is the shit. I love that guy.

This.

There are a couple live versions of that on YouTube also.  Though it still sounds great, you can see how much vocal "help" he got in the production of Person Pitch.  Still, having him do most of the vocals on MPP (and letting Avey just do his whelps and wails) is what makes the new album sooo good.  Panda Bear just rules.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on January 23, 2009, 10:17:46 AM
Quote from: 5laky on January 23, 2009, 10:10:32 AM

10 stars.

This.

There are a couple live versions of that on YouTube also.  Though it still sounds great, you can see how much vocal "help" he got in the production of Person Pitch.  Still, having him do most of the vocals on MPP (and letting Avey just do his whelps and wails) is what makes the new album sooo good.  Panda Bear just rules.

He sounded great live - but I don't think it's a secret that they manipulate the hell out of the vocals on all their recordings. They use electronic everything.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 23, 2009, 10:56:03 AM
He sounded great live - but I don't think it's a secret that they manipulate the hell out of the vocals on all their recordings. They use electronic everything.

Like radiohead.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 23, 2009, 11:42:44 AM
Quote from: 5laky on January 23, 2009, 10:56:03 AM

Like radiohead.

Are you not a fan? I honestly don't know, so I'm asking.

Anyway, that's probably the only thing Radiohead and Animal Collective have in common.