News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired  ( 163,425 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 30, 2009, 10:23:38 AM
Quote from: 5laky on January 23, 2009, 10:10:32 AM
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on January 23, 2009, 10:04:02 AM
Quote from: 5laky on January 23, 2009, 10:00:22 AM
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on January 21, 2009, 11:24:52 PM
Quote from: 5laky on January 17, 2009, 06:42:46 PM
So as I was saying way back in this thread - if there is a better song than "My Girls" by Animal Collective released in this calendar year, it'll be a fantastic year.

This here isn't a video for the song, but it's the only free listen to the full track I could find.

Here's the video - wow.  http://www.myanimalhome.net/

Saw Animal Collective last night at the Metro. Despite the fact that it was an all ages show (meaning it ends promptly at 10 pm) I was blown away. They are a must-see live if you have any interest in them. It's quite an experience. The reggae influence really shows when they're live and the songs take on a whole new energy.

It also helps to be baked.

10 stars.

Shit.  I was very tempted to walk over and pay the $100 or whatever to scalp a ticket last night.  Instead, I settled for youtubing every AC thing I could get my hands on.  I have a real problem right now.  There are some ridiculous renditions of Purple Bottle and Brother Sport online.

They played mostly new stuff - highlights were of course Brother Sport and My Girls. They also played Leaf House which was great. The encore was Panda Bear's Comfy in Nautica which was a surprise and totally fucking awesome. Panda Bear is the shit. I love that guy.

Listening to the new album by Atlas Sound, called Logos. Panda Bear contributed to the first song. Sounds similar to something Animal Collective would put out. In other words, it's awesome.

Fuck, I was meaning to get that. Thanks for the heads up. You talking about the song Walkabout? If so, yeah, that song is excellent.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2009, 12:00:34 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on October 30, 2009, 11:53:56 AM
So as I was saying way back in this thread - if there is a better song than "My Girls" by Animal Collective released in this calendar year, it'll be a fantastic year.

This here isn't a video for the song, but it's the only free listen to the full track I could find.

Saw Animal Collective last night at the Metro. Despite the fact that it was an all ages show (meaning it ends promptly at 10 pm) I was blown away. They are a must-see live if you have any interest in them. It's quite an experience. The reggae influence really shows when they're live and the songs take on a whole new energy.

10 stars.

Shit.  I was very tempted to walk over and pay the $100 or whatever to scalp a ticket last night.  Instead, I settled for youtubing every AC thing I could get my hands on.  I have a real problem right now.  There are some ridiculous renditions of Purple Bottle and Brother Sport online.

They played mostly new stuff - highlights were of course Brother Sport and My Girls. They also played Leaf House which was great. The encore was Panda Bear's Comfy in Nautica which was a surprise and totally fucking awesome. Panda Bear is the shit. I love that guy.

Listening to the new album by Atlas Sound, called Logos. Panda Bear contributed to the first song. Sounds similar to something Animal Collective would put out. In other words, it's awesome.

Fuck, I was meaning to get that. Thanks for the heads up. You talking about the song Walkabout? If so, yeah, that song is excellent.

Yeah, that's the one - it's actually the third song, not the first.

On another note, I'm not so savvy on how the kids download free music anymore, but I found this site that is clearly Russian and/or illegal and was probably set up by a group that participates in the flesh trade. You can get 400 songs for 25 bucks and they've got a good selection. I've bought several albums and haven't had a kidney forcibly removed by the KGB yet.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 30, 2009, 12:00:34 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on October 30, 2009, 11:53:56 AM

10 stars.

Yeah, that's the one - it's actually the third song, not the first.

On another note, I'm not so savvy on how the kids download free music anymore, but I found this site that is clearly Russian and/or illegal and was probably set up by a group that participates in the flesh trade. You can get 400 songs for 25 bucks and they've got a good selection. I've bought several albums and haven't had a kidney forcibly removed by the KGB yet.

...yet.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2009, 08:27:26 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 13, 2009, 09:59:48 AMFirst is the new Appleseed Cast album, Sagarmatha. It's very post-rock (if that term has any meaning) and a amalgamation of their best albums. In other words, it's fucking awesome so far.

Great recommendation, thanks. I haven't seen anyone here mention This Will Destroy You. I was disappointed to find myself not in fact destroyed after listening to their self-titled album, but it's good stuff similar to Explosions in the Sky.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »

The new single by Tegan and Sara sounds pretty cool.

Plus, they hang out with only hardcore types...

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
Anybody heard of Other Lives? They're good at music.

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »
Quote from: R-V on December 03, 2009, 01:10:03 PM
Anybody heard of Other Lives? They're good at music.

I liked their previous incarnation as Kunek - but hadn't listened to Other Lives until now.  Very nice.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »
Anyone interested in folksy, scarf-wearing music from the north should check out Kings of Convenience. Yeah, they're from Norway but I was listening to them before I met the Mrs.

New album is addictive and it's called Declaration of Dependence. Check out these tunes:

Mrs. Cold

24-25

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 10, 2009, 11:41:37 AM
Anyone interested in folksy, scarf-wearing music from the north should check out Kings of Convenience. Yeah, they're from Norway but I was listening to them before I met the Mrs.

New album is addictive and it's called Declaration of Dependence. Check out these tunes:

Mrs. Cold

24-25

That dude looks like a young Michael Caine.

Speaking of folksy stuff from across the pond, check out Mumford & Sons.  If you can get your hands on their debut album, it is really, really, really good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mumfordandsons?blend=2&ob=4#p/u/3/5HHnDEnsdno  Specifically, check out Little Lion Man.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
I'm not sure if this is really up anybody's alley, but I found this Eric Hutchinson guy on Last.fm the other day and his music is pretty awesome.  I kind of doubt anyone here likes Jason Mraz, but he's probably the most comparable artist I can think of, although you can definitely tell he was influenced by Michael Jackson (<pedophile joke>). This song in particular is catchy as hell (can't find the album version):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBwKJakZLdA

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 12, 2009, 11:38:47 PM
I'm not sure if this is really up anybody's alley, but I found this Eric Hutchinson guy on Last.fm the other day and his music is pretty awesome.  I kind of doubt anyone here likes Jason Mraz, but he's probably the most comparable artist I can think of, although you can definitely tell he was influenced by Michael Jackson (<pedophile joke>). This song in particular is catchy as hell (can't find the album version):

I have news for you: you don't like music.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 13, 2009, 02:26:27 PM

Oh, my bad.  Please, tell me what you like so I can like the same things.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 13, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

I don't think you understand how this works.  Slaky can't like it if somebody else does.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 13, 2009, 03:00:03 PM

I don't think you understand how this works.  Slaky can't like it if somebody else does.

We can't all be Bon Jovi superfans, CT.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 13, 2009, 03:15:51 PM
Quote from: CT III on December 13, 2009, 03:00:03 PM

We can't all be Bon Jovi superfans, CT.

Actually, we can.  Open your heart, Slak.