News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired  ( 163,425 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired
« Reply #510 on: December 29, 2012, 03:14:11 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 29, 2012, 12:49:05 AM
Quote from: Bort on December 28, 2012, 01:11:21 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 28, 2012, 11:09:58 AM
Nachtmystium is a black metal band from Chicago and they're very good.

Seconded. I'm not even huge into black metal, but they are tits.

I really thought it was going to be Fork who did that.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:47 AM »
Quote from: Bort on December 29, 2012, 03:14:11 AM

I really thought it was going to be Fork who did that.

I'm so ashamed.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: January 07, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »

Motherboy?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »
Hey guys who like dream pop stuff, check out Tamaryn. They do it very well. Here is a link.

http://open.spotify.com/track/6QjTqKLoy12iWSlhly515p

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: July 03, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
Deafheaven's Sunbather is my 2013 album of the year.

Good luck, other albums which have virtually no shot.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: July 15, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: October 23, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 03, 2013, 02:40:29 PM

I hate the screaming singing stuff, but the melodies in this case far more than make up for it.
I can't wrap my head around how someone can plays drums that precise and fast, but I'm always amazed by good drummers.

Now back in the spotify world, who else are you liking for this year?

I've been listening to and have liked new albums from frightened rabbit, shellshag, the thermals, and the world is a beautiful place, who remind me of some stuff i liked in high school (knapsack, mineral, etc).

None of them are at all like deafheaven, but some quality stuff.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 23, 2013, 02:23:27 PM

I hate the screaming singing stuff, but the melodies in this case far more than make up for it.
I can't wrap my head around how someone can plays drums that precise and fast, but I'm always amazed by good drummers.

I've been listening to and have liked new albums from frightened rabbit, shellshag, the thermals, and the world is a beautiful place, who remind me of some stuff i liked in high school (knapsack, mineral, etc).

Pelican's new album Forever Becoming is solid.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: November 19, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
Arliss Nancy is one of the better bands I've heard in the past few years..  a better version of Lucero.
Old Flings' Spite album is really good, especially the song Senseless.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »

Deafheaven is a bit of an outlier but I remember reading the story behind the album and that hooked me as much as the music. And yeah the drumming is absolutely show stopping. The album art adds a lot to it - it's completely atypical for what is essentially black metal.

Other stuff that *is* sort of in that Deafheaven family is band called Alcest. Check out this album - it's ethereal metal and there's that screaming mixed with clean vocals but they're really part of the instrumentation as opposed to lyrics.

I would say CHVRCHES debut album is probably the second best album I've heard this year. i love them and I recognize how cheesy they are but it doesn't matter. Head over heels for their music.

The new Cut Copy is a real disappointment.

The new Russian Circles album is absolutely killer. And as you said, the new Pelican is pretty good - but Pelican's music just makes me want to listen to Russian Circles.

Frankie Rose, who was in Vivian Girls and Dum Dum Girls, put out a solo record that's great - it's a lot like Wild Nothing's dream pop.

The latest Yuck album had some strong moments. Touche Amore's new album is good throwback screamo hardcore stuff.

There's a Vancouver band called Weed that makes them very hard to google but they have an album on bandcamp that's an excellent throwback to 90s fuzz rock type stuff. You'd probably really enjoy it.

Pink Frost, local band, put out a really good album this year.

I recently got into a band called Whirr that does shoegaze really, really well - check out the Distressor EP - it's fucking excellent.

The Diarrhea Planet album is really enjoyable guitar rock.

Washed Out was a letdown.

Mark Kozelek put out a couple new albums that sound like slam poetry over a backing band - he's just spinnin yarns these days. It's nothing like Sun Kil Moon or Red House Painters. I wish he'd revive one of those projects and knock of the Spanish guitar shit.

Also I finally started getting into Swans and they are terrifying.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 20, 2013, 10:25:15 AM

Deafheaven is a bit of an outlier but I remember reading the story behind the album and that hooked me as much as the music. And yeah the drumming is absolutely show stopping. The album art adds a lot to it - it's completely atypical for what is essentially black metal.

Other stuff that *is* sort of in that Deafheaven family is band called Alcest. Check out this album - it's ethereal metal and there's that screaming mixed with clean vocals but they're really part of the instrumentation as opposed to lyrics.

I would say CHVRCHES debut album is probably the second best album I've heard this year. i love them and I recognize how cheesy they are but it doesn't matter. Head over heels for their music.

The new Russian Circles album is absolutely killer. And as you said, the new Pelican is pretty good - but Pelican's music just makes me want to listen to Russian Circles.

Frankie Rose, who was in Vivian Girls and Dum Dum Girls, put out a solo record that's great - it's a lot like Wild Nothing's dream pop.

The latest Yuck album had some strong moments. Touche Amore's new album is good throwback screamo hardcore stuff.

There's a Vancouver band called Weed that makes them very hard to google but they have an album on bandcamp that's an excellent throwback to 90s fuzz rock type stuff. You'd probably really enjoy it.

I recently got into a band called Whirr that does shoegaze really, really well - check out the Distressor EP - it's fucking excellent.

Mark Kozelek put out a couple new albums that sound like slam poetry over a backing band - he's just spinnin yarns these days. It's nothing like Sun Kil Moon or Red House Painters. I wish he'd revive one of those projects and knock of the Spanish guitar shit.

THI
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: November 20, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »

I like the new Groovy Uncle album, but that's because I'm an old fart.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: November 20, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 20, 2013, 11:09:39 AM
Quote from: Slaky on November 20, 2013, 10:25:15 AM

THI

I tried. I can't get into that.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: December 05, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
Apparently the new Phoenix and Sigur Ros sucked.

This was actually a pretty damn good year for music, though.  What are your lists, Desipiots?  Chvrches at #3 is a pretty good showing for a debut band, but there's an argument to move them even higher.  I think the Naked and Famous deserve more love for In Rolling Waves than they're getting, too.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: December 05, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
How could they tell whether the Sigur Ros album actually sucked? I've never been awake long enough to finish one.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck