News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Thread  ( 18,806 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 MLB Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 20, 2016, 09:06:15 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2016, 09:02:13 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 20, 2016, 08:57:42 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on May 19, 2016, 12:05:16 PM
File this one under my own mental disabilities (of which there are many) but I find it too stressful to watch Jake pitch lately. He's raised the bar so much to me that when he "struggles" (i.e., pitches better than 95% of the league) I get anxious. I realize I need to get over it, since I'm stressing out over one of, if not the greatest ongoing performances in the history of the game.

I have this same anxiety. Like the outside baseball world is waiting for him to have an outing like Matt Harvey did last night so they can laugh at him. Don't laugh at Jake. It makes me sad.

To be fair, Harvey has mostly sucked all year long, he's clearly put on weight, and his fastball velocity is way down. He also took a huge hit in the press last year with the whole "I want to be shut down in the middle of a pennant race" thing and also the "railroaded his manager into leaving him in a world series game which he then blew" thing. I doubt there's quite as much vitriol people are holding in for Jake, although I'm sure there's a decent amount anyway just from jealousy.

And, as cocky as Jake is, he'd still never self-prescribe "The Dark Knight" as a nickname.

Wait. He gave himself that nickname? I thought it was bad enough when I thought Mets fans came up with it. Fuck that guy.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2016, 09:07:47 AM
File this one under my own mental disabilities (of which there are many) but I find it too stressful to watch Jake pitch lately. He's raised the bar so much to me that when he "struggles" (i.e., pitches better than 95% of the league) I get anxious. I realize I need to get over it, since I'm stressing out over one of, if not the greatest ongoing performances in the history of the game.

I have this same anxiety. Like the outside baseball world is waiting for him to have an outing like Matt Harvey did last night so they can laugh at him. Don't laugh at Jake. It makes me sad.

To be fair, Harvey has mostly sucked all year long, he's clearly put on weight, and his fastball velocity is way down. He also took a huge hit in the press last year with the whole "I want to be shut down in the middle of a pennant race" thing and also the "railroaded his manager into leaving him in a world series game which he then blew" thing. I doubt there's quite as much vitriol people are holding in for Jake, although I'm sure there's a decent amount anyway just from jealousy.

And, as cocky as Jake is, he'd still never self-prescribe "The Dark Knight" as a nickname.

Wait. He gave himself that nickname? I thought it was bad enough when I thought Mets fans came up with it. Fuck that guy.

Yes, he did. It's the best part. I also did a quick "Matt Harvey" search on the twitter GIF pile and there's one of him naked, holding his junk with a baseball mitt.

What an odious man he is.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 20, 2016, 09:19:26 AM

Yes, he did. It's the best part. I also did a quick "Matt Harvey" search on the twitter GIF pile and there's one of him naked, holding his junk with a baseball mitt.

Best thing is, there's probably not a team in baseball that would give up a bucket of sunflower seeds for him. The Mets are stuck with him.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 20, 2016, 09:35:34 AM

Best thing is, there's probably not a team in baseball that would give up a bucket of sunflower seeds for him. The Mets are stuck with him.

A 27 year old with a 2.86 career ERA and two more years of control after this year? If the Cubs traded for him tomorrow you'd be telling everyone how quickly Bosio was going to right the ship and turn him into Jake Arrieta 2.0
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2016, 09:37:52 AM

A 27 year old with a 2.86 career ERA and two more years of control after this year? If the Cubs traded for him tomorrow you'd be telling everyone how quickly Bosio was going to right the ship and turn him into Jake Arrieta 2.0

What in the world makes you think he'd ever listen to Bosio?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 20, 2016, 09:39:20 AM

Of course that's the part you focus on.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 20, 2016, 09:42:01 AM

His career numbers and contract control are all fine and good, but he sucks now, and is trending downward...and what's the value in controlling shit?
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2016, 09:55:49 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 20, 2016, 09:51:58 AM

His career numbers and contract control are all fine and good, but he sucks now, and is trending downward...and what's the value in controlling shit?

Because it's entirely possible he's fixable, and 9 starts don't define a career? I mean, I don't want to defend the guy, I absolutely hope he's done because fuck him and fuck the Mets, but "nobody would trade for him" is laughable. A guy with his track record and potential? Somebody would take a chance on him. For fuck's sake the Cubs reigning Cy Young winner had a 5.46 ERA in 63 starts and still netted a middle of the rotation starter in a trade.

People will always gamble on a guy like that finding his shit again.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2016, 09:55:49 AM

Because it's entirely possible he's fixable, and 9 starts don't define a career? I mean, I don't want to defend the guy, I absolutely hope he's done because fuck him and fuck the Mets, but "nobody would trade for him" is laughable. A guy with his track record and potential? Somebody would take a chance on him. For fuck's sake the Cubs reigning Cy Young winner had a 5.46 ERA in 63 starts and still netted a middle of the rotation starter in a trade.

Matt Cain and Jake Peavy are pitching against the Cubs this weekend. In 2016 after years of being TERRIBLE, they are in the rotation for a team that is supposed to make the postseason.

Christ, TIM LINCECUM just got a new deal. JOE NATHAN is back in baseball again.

Fork you are wrong on this one.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 20, 2016, 10:03:17 AM

Matt Cain and Jake Peavy are pitching against the Cubs this weekend. In 2016 after years of being TERRIBLE, they are in the rotation for a team that is supposed to make the postseason.

Regular, old wrong doesn't do it.  This is aggressively wrong.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »
Quote from: CT III on May 20, 2016, 10:09:36 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 20, 2016, 10:03:17 AM

Regular, old wrong doesn't do it.  This is aggressively wrong.

Also Harvey's FIP is 3.66. As long as this outing and the reports on his velocity drop don't mindfuck him so hard he loses all confidence in his spots, he'll be fine. Maybe not dominant but more than serviceable.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
Maybe Fork is just feeling optimistic about Harvey's collapsing career.
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
"No one in baseball would trade for Matt Harvey after 6 mediocre weeks" is probably just about the wrongest thing Fork has ever said.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 20, 2016, 11:12:15 AM
"No one in baseball would trade for Matt Harvey after 6 mediocre weeks" is probably just about the wrongest thing Fork has ever said.

Yeah, its putting Matt Bush in charge of a St Louis carpool wrong.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2016, 11:30:54 AM »

Arrieta is a terrible comparison. The book on him was that he had great stuff, and just needed to put it together. Harvey has lost velocity, so he has less stuff than he used to have.
TIME TO POST!