News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 10: The Show  ( 88,955 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 10: The Show
« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on June 02, 2010, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: Slaky on June 02, 2010, 03:40:09 PM
Quote from: Weebs on June 02, 2010, 12:08:20 PM
This game is painfully realistic.  I started a franchise with the Cubs, and I'm 1-5, having lost every game it nut-punching fashion.  John Grabow has a 13.50 ERA and was just DFA'd, and the offense can't drive runners in, despite hitting for a high average.  They even accurately programmed Dusty Baker's managerial skills.  In two games against the Reds, with a save opportunity in the 9th, he used 3 different pitchers to get 3 different outs.  Fuck this game and it's awesomeness.

Yeah, I'm in June and I'm something like 22-34. It's amazing how bad I/the Cubs are.

I'm still completely incapable of hitting a fastball (or any pitch, really) up in the zone.  The only time I can do it is when I'm looking up and in with a lefty hitter.  Also, every curveball that bounces in front of the plate looks like it's going to barely miss the strike zone.

I've been finding myself out in front of most pitches. So I'm trying to sit back and stop pulling off speed pitches into the upper deck. Every time I get a meatball I pull it way foul.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
This game is painfully realistic.  I started a franchise with the Cubs, and I'm 1-5, having lost every game it nut-punching fashion.  John Grabow has a 13.50 ERA and was just DFA'd, and the offense can't drive runners in, despite hitting for a high average.  They even accurately programmed Dusty Baker's managerial skills.  In two games against the Reds, with a save opportunity in the 9th, he used 3 different pitchers to get 3 different outs.  Fuck this game and it's awesomeness.

Yeah, I'm in June and I'm something like 22-34. It's amazing how bad I/the Cubs are.

I'm still completely incapable of hitting a fastball (or any pitch, really) up in the zone.  The only time I can do it is when I'm looking up and in with a lefty hitter.  Also, every curveball that bounces in front of the plate looks like it's going to barely miss the strike zone.

My pitch recognition is horrible. I've tried to swing at pitches that hit me. Luckily the game doesn't let me go through with the swing. It's unbelievably hard not to strike out a shitload of times.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2010, 07:45:27 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 02, 2010, 04:29:11 PM

My pitch recognition is horrible. I've tried to swing at pitches that hit me. Luckily the game doesn't let me go through with the swing. It's unbelievably hard not to strike out a shitload of times.

You guys are really that bad at the hitting?  The two times I've had shitty K games offensively was when I faced Lincecum in game one and the Halladay the next series.  Other than that, I'm having a blast.  It's unbelievably realistic.  But, you pretty much have to use Guess Pitch and remember how the opposing pitcher pitched to other hitters.  It's difficult at the beginning of the game, but for the most part I can tell that most pitchers will throw first pitch fastballs to rookie or low-order hitters, while they'll really try to throw junk to the meat of the lineup guys.  I even managed walks in this game.

Another thing...if, say my #2 hitter gets a double, the opposing pitcher will throw around the next hitter and basically try to walk him or get you to swing at shit.  I love this game so very much.  I started a new franchise with the Pirates, made a few trades (got Tyler Colvin in RF and Jeremy Hermida in LF...traded for Kerry Wood and a few LSU pitchers, Greg Smith and Brian Tallet for the pen, and traded for Dustin McGowan...no idea why, just because I needed some help in the rotation.  Oh, and Randy Wells.)

So far, my Pirates are 2-1 after taking the opening series against the Dodgers in awesome fashion:  McCutchen hit a game tying RBI single in the bottom of the 9th against Broxton, then Hermida hit a 3 R HR off him to win it.  Fantastic, this game is.  One more thing, too...this is the only game I've ever played where it doesn't totally suck to lose.  It's a fun experience either way.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2010, 07:53:08 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 03, 2010, 07:45:27 AM

You guys are really that bad at the hitting?  The two times I've had shitty K games offensively was when I faced Lincecum in game one and the Halladay the next series.  Other than that, I'm having a blast.  It's unbelievably realistic.  But, you pretty much have to use Guess Pitch and remember how the opposing pitcher pitched to other hitters.  It's difficult at the beginning of the game, but for the most part I can tell that most pitchers will throw first pitch fastballs to rookie or low-order hitters, while they'll really try to throw junk to the meat of the lineup guys.  I even managed walks in this game.

Another thing...if, say my #2 hitter gets a double, the opposing pitcher will throw around the next hitter and basically try to walk him or get you to swing at shit.  I love this game so very much.  I started a new franchise with the Pirates, made a few trades (got Tyler Colvin in RF and Jeremy Hermida in LF...traded for Kerry Wood and a few LSU pitchers, Greg Smith and Brian Tallet for the pen, and traded for Dustin McGowan...no idea why, just because I needed some help in the rotation.  Oh, and Randy Wells.)

So far, my Pirates are 2-1 after taking the opening series against the Dodgers in awesome fashion:  McCutchen hit a game tying RBI single in the bottom of the 9th against Broxton, then Hermida hit a 3 R HR off him to win it.  Fantastic, this game is.  One more thing, too...this is the only game I've ever played where it doesn't totally suck to lose.  It's a fun experience either way.

Turn Guess Pitch off and then get back to us.

Also, I hate that I can never stop from swinging at the first and second pitch after one of my hitters reaches 1B.  I'd say 99% of the time, it's going to be a ball down in the corner of the zone, and if you swing, you'll almost definitely hit a double-play ground ball.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2010, 07:55:58 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on June 03, 2010, 07:53:08 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 03, 2010, 07:45:27 AM

Turn Guess Pitch off and then get back to us.

Also, I hate that I can never stop from swinging at the first and second pitch after one of my hitters reaches 1B.  I'd say 99% of the time, it's going to be a ball down in the corner of the zone, and if you swing, you'll almost definitely hit a double-play ground ball.

For the most part, all my hits come on pitches I guess wrong on, which tells me what I pretty much know:  If he's not going fastball, he's throwing his second best pitch, which usually means he's going slider or curve.  On the off chance it's a change, I can't hit those regardless if I know it's coming and exactly in what spot.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »
So I've only had the game two weeks and I've already seen a foul ball that bounced off the Moises Alou-Steve Bartman wall called a home run, and not one, but two inside-the-park homers in Pittsburgh because the CPU fielder can't seem to get around that corner in left center field to get the ball.  He just keeps running in place at the fence, since going around the corner would be too difficult.  The umpiring in general is pretty awful.  Wtf?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2010, 07:41:33 AM »
Quote from: Night Man on June 22, 2010, 12:24:19 AM
So I've only had the game two weeks and I've already seen a foul ball that bounced off the Moises Alou-Steve Bartman wall called a home run, and not one, but two inside-the-park homers in Pittsburgh because the CPU fielder can't seem to get around that corner in left center field to get the ball.  He just keeps running in place at the fence, since going around the corner would be too difficult.  The umpiring in general is pretty awful.  Wtf?

I've had very similar HR calls as that.  It wasn't right in the Bartman area, but it was just a few rows up and quite obviously a foul ball.  However, it was close enough to deserve a replay...but there was none.  The same thing happened on a ball in Fenway, when it was hit a good 30 feet (confirmed by the HR distance) short of the right field foul poul, in the stands.  That never happened for me until the latest update, but I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the two.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2010, 07:49:12 AM »

I haven't encountered the problems with the homerun calls.  I don't play with the Cubs.  But, I do play as the Pirates and I've never had that problem with a fielder running in place.  As far as the umpires go, there's a toggle in the sliders that can switch on/off how umpire's call a game.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 22, 2010, 07:49:12 AM

I haven't encountered the problems with the homerun calls.  I don't play with the Cubs.  But, I do play as the Pirates and I've never had that problem with a fielder running in place.  As far as the umpires go, there's a toggle in the sliders that can switch on/off how umpire's call a game.

I saw that error in PNC once. I was happy to have the run as my team fucking blows. No complaints.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 22, 2010, 08:55:45 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 22, 2010, 07:49:12 AM

I saw that error in PNC once. I was happy to have the run as my team fucking blows. No complaints.

There was one in Chase Field where the ball was hit down the left field line and bounced over the wall, but instead of being a ground rule double, the game apparently thought the ball was still in play, so it just stayed buried somewhere underneath the bleachers while the runner ran all the way home.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
So, I experienced the PNC running man outfielder glitch last night.  I hit a gapper to left center and it got caught up in the little corner just left of the center field wall.  Carlos Gomez just ran into the corner and ran in place.  Ryan Braun just stood there and watched.  I guess he was lauging his ass off.  Or admiring is awesome Affliction-type Chadshirts.  Anyway, Tyler Colvin got a two-run inside the parker out of the deal.

So, before the game I started yesterday, my Pirates were on a five game winning streak and looking like the next coming of the We Are Family Pirates. I had my #1 starter, Randy Wells, going up against the mighty Manny Parra of the Brewers.  Cake walk, right?  Randy gets absolutely rocked.  They were hammering the change, which happens to be Randy's K pitch on the game.  I couldn't finish anybody off.  After giving up about 7 runs through 1 1/3 innings, I bring in Brian Tallet who proceeds to diarrhea all over the mound too.

So, after riding high on a five game winning streak in which I got a complete game win from Sean Gallagher (yes, I'm collecting all manner of my favorite past and present Cub man crushes), 7 great innings from rookie Brad Lincoln and a shit ton of run support (as well as go a couple games over .500 to get to third in the division), I'm now down 13-3 in the third inning.

I.  Love.  This.  Game.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2010, 08:39:01 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 29, 2010, 07:52:37 AM
So, I experienced the PNC running man outfielder glitch last night.  I hit a gapper to left center and it got caught up in the little corner just left of the center field wall.  Carlos Gomez just ran into the corner and ran in place.  Ryan Braun just stood there and watched.  I guess he was lauging his ass off.  Or admiring is awesome Affliction-type Chadshirts.  Anyway, Tyler Colvin got a two-run inside the parker out of the deal.

So, before the game I started yesterday, my Pirates were on a five game winning streak and looking like the next coming of the We Are Family Pirates. I had my #1 starter, Randy Wells, going up against the mighty Manny Parra of the Brewers.  Cake walk, right?  Randy gets absolutely rocked.  They were hammering the change, which happens to be Randy's K pitch on the game.  I couldn't finish anybody off.  After giving up about 7 runs through 1 1/3 innings, I bring in Brian Tallet who proceeds to diarrhea all over the mound too.

So, after riding high on a five game winning streak in which I got a complete game win from Sean Gallagher (yes, I'm collecting all manner of my favorite past and present Cub man crushes), 7 great innings from rookie Brad Lincoln and a shit ton of run support (as well as go a couple games over .500 to get to third in the division), I'm now down 13-3 in the third inning.

I.  Love.  This.  Game.

Did you call up or trade Pedro Alvarez?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2010, 08:46:02 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 29, 2010, 08:39:01 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 29, 2010, 07:52:37 AM

I.  Love.  This.  Game.

Did you call up or trade Pedro Alvarez?

I called him up.  He's legit in the game.  Good thing, because Andy LaRoche was sucking it up.  I definitely need SS help.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
I got Longoria from the Rays for Aramis, "Alexis Villacia", and I think Jeff Gray.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on June 29, 2010, 01:39:51 PM
I got Longoria from the Rays for Aramis, "Alexis Villacia", and I think Jeff Gray.

Nice trade, Weebs.  I did steal Cashner for Zack Duke and Colvin for Lastings Milledge.  Also, Kerry Wood for Octavio Dotel.