News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,371 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2009, 02:13:26 PM »
I'm guessing you can turn the colored pitches off, you fucking racists.

I'll say one thing about 2K8's hitting.  If you cranked up "Step Influence," it was REALLY hard to hit, even after you got used to the game.  It's also still really hard to hit in MVP NCAA 2006.  There's definitely a way to make hitting difficult without it just being ridiculous (like the stupid-fast pitch speed in the late ASB games), but I feel like a lot of baseball game developers try to cater to the more casual crowd.
Hire Jim Essian!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 11, 2009, 02:13:26 PM

I'll say one thing about 2K8's hitting.  If you cranked up "Step Influence," it was REALLY hard to hit, even after you got used to the game.  It's also still really hard to hit in MVP NCAA 2006.  There's definitely a way to make hitting difficult without it just being ridiculous (like the stupid-fast pitch speed in the late ASB games), but I feel like a lot of baseball game developers try to cater to the more casual crowd.

I don't want it to be really hard to hit. I want it to be fun to hit. I don't want to hit home runs with Ryan Theriot. I want him to hit .275 with 155 singles. Because that's what he does.

Figure it out game world.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
Quote from: Pre on February 11, 2009, 01:40:32 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 11, 2009, 12:57:59 PM
I did, but only because I'm stunned that I agreed with pretty much everything Weebs said in it.

Now you made me read it, asshole.

So you agree with the part where Weebs tries to hide his long winded bragging about being able
to hit in a video game inside a flimsy analysis of the hitting systems?  I feel like we need a forum
topic for Weebs to brag about inane things.  Maybe we can trick Kurt into thinking it's also about
Canada.

Although, I guess I would agree that the longevity of almost every baseball game is ruined because
it is too easy to hit.

I like to make fun of you guys for playing video games so the five hours of reality TV I watch every day doesn't make me feel so pathetic.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 11, 2009, 01:46:06 PM
Although, I guess I would agree that the longevity of almost every baseball game is ruined because
it is too easy to hit.

That's actually a nice point.  Which brings me to this about the Inside Edge:  I've always used it in the games, but beyond that I've never kept up with it or really paid too much attention to it.  Is it a dynamic part of the game?  Does it change if you start struggling with pitches you were otherwise adept at getting to?

If you're referring to the player Inside Edge profile that's created, I don't think it does much to change the game for you, but it's more just a way to analyze how you play.  It's like how NFL 2k5 would give you a full breakdown of how often you scrambled, threw out of the Shotgun, etc. which was mostly helpful for playing against friends and other people online.  I think the Inside Edge reports on players in game is supposed to provide a way to analyze player tendencies so you can better pitch to, or hit against them.  I remember using it on Prince Fielder once, and he would take curveballs low and in on the first pitch at a really high rate.  In the few games I played against the Brewers, I was ahead of him 0-1 on every single AB because he would always take that pitch no matter what, but he wouldn't take a fastball at the same location.  I really have no idea how they're actually using those percentages to affect the outcome against a particular player, but it seems to be pretty accurate.

So you agree with the part where Weebs tries to hide his long winded bragging about being able
to hit in a video game inside a flimsy analysis of the hitting systems? 

I was trying to say that I liked MVP 05 because the hitting system was pretty straightforward and was easy to understand, so a player could be really good at it.  It wasn't meant to be bragging, but I was just saying it was cool to feel like I really had control within the game, kind of like being good with the cursor hitting in ASB (which I was not) would give you control in that game.  In the 2k games, there is a much smaller degree of control, as shown by the ridiculously small variation in hit types.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 11, 2009, 12:57:59 PM
I did, but only because I'm stunned that I agreed with pretty much everything Weebs said in it.

Now you made me read it, asshole.

to hit in a video game inside a flimsy analysis of the hitting systems?  I feel like we need a forum
topic for Weebs to brag about inane things.  Maybe we can trick Kurt into thinking it's also about
Canada.

it is too easy to hit.

I've been wondering something, Pre...

Do you compose your Desipio posts in Notepad with word wrap turned on or what?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 11, 2009, 02:16:50 PM
it is too easy to hit.

That's actually a nice point.  Which brings me to this about the Inside Edge:  I've always used it in the games, but beyond that I've never kept up with it or really paid too much attention to it.  Is it a dynamic part of the game?  Does it change if you start struggling with pitches you were otherwise adept at getting to?

If you're referring to the player Inside Edge profile that's created, I don't think it does much to change the game for you, but it's more just a way to analyze how you play.  It's like how NFL 2k5 would give you a full breakdown of how often you scrambled, threw out of the Shotgun, etc. which was mostly helpful for playing against friends and other people online.  I think the Inside Edge reports on players in game is supposed to provide a way to analyze player tendencies so you can better pitch to, or hit against them.  I remember using it on Prince Fielder once, and he would take curveballs low and in on the first pitch at a really high rate.  In the few games I played against the Brewers, I was ahead of him 0-1 on every single AB because he would always take that pitch no matter what, but he wouldn't take a fastball at the same location.  I really have no idea how they're actually using those percentages to affect the outcome against a particular player, but it seems to be pretty accurate.

I was trying to say that I liked MVP 05 because the hitting system was pretty straightforward and was easy to understand, so a player could be really good at it.  It wasn't meant to be bragging, but I was just saying it was cool to feel like I really had control within the game, kind of like being good with the cursor hitting in ASB (which I was not) would give you control in that game.  In the 2k games, there is a much smaller degree of control, as shown by the ridiculously small variation in hit types.

THIS IS A PICTURE OF ME!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2009, 02:24:32 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on February 11, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
it is too easy to hit.

THIS IS A PICTURE OF ME!

Replace every video game reference with "drinking Bud Light" or "being a douche" and you'll have a lot more fun with it.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »

That thing you said about 2K's hitting made it go from too easy and unfun to too hard and unfun.  About the new game's hitting:  what Slakee said about Theriot.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 11, 2009, 02:26:00 PM

That thing you said about 2K's hitting made it go from too easy and unfun to too hard and unfun.  About the new game's hitting:  what Slakee said about Theriot.

With the sliders, though, I actually think there was a possibility of finding a happy medium between "too easy" and "too hard" with 2K8.  I just didn't have the patience to screw around with it.  And hit variety still sucked, so it didn't feel like it was worth my effort.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 11, 2009, 02:24:32 PM
Quote from: TDubbs on February 11, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
it is too easy to hit.

THIS IS A PICTURE OF ME!

Replace every video game reference with "drinking Bud Light" or "being a douche" and you'll have a lot more fun with it.

I'll play along:

Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »
If you PS3 guys are interested in getting this, the preview for the PS3 version sounds pretty positive.  The fact that they don't mention framerate problems is huge, considering the PS3 version of 2K8 apparently had a far worse framerate than the 360 version.
Hire Jim Essian!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 11, 2009, 02:30:54 PM
If you PS3 guys are interested in getting this, the preview for the PS3 version sounds pretty positive.  The fact that they don't mention framerate problems is huge, considering the PS3 version of 2K8 apparently had a far worse framerate than the 360 version.

Thanks Al.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »
Tdubbs is just frustrated that the real-life cheat codes Tucker Max gave him aren't working, and he still can't defeat the Crying Yourself to Sleep level.

Meanwhile, Weebs and the custom-made Game Genie that he built at college are dominating the virtual world.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »
Quote from: RV on February 11, 2009, 02:32:14 PM
Tdubbs is just frustrated that the real-life cheat codes Tucker Max gave him aren't working, and he still can't defeat the Crying Yourself to Sleep level.

Meanwhile, Weebs and the custom-made Game Genie Action Replay that he built at college are dominating the virtual world.

*pushes up glasses* Get with the times'd.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 11, 2009, 02:33:47 PM
Quote from: RV on February 11, 2009, 02:32:14 PM

Meanwhile, Weebs and the custom-made Game Genie Action Replay that he built at college are dominating the virtual world.

*pushes up glasses* Get with the times'd.
*Adjusts feather boa* Oh you kid.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche