News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,354 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
Quote from: RV on February 11, 2009, 02:32:14 PM
Tdubbs is just frustrated that the real-life cheat codes Tucker Max gave him aren't working, and he still can't defeat the Crying Yourself to Sleep level.

Meanwhile, Weebs and the custom-made Game Genie that he built at college are dominating the virtual world.

This post is a beautiful thing.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »
Quote from: RV on February 11, 2009, 02:32:14 PM
Tdubbs is just frustrated that the real-life cheat codes Tucker Max gave him aren't working, and he still can't defeat the Crying Yourself to Sleep level.

Meanwhile, Weebs and the custom-made Game Genie that he built at college are dominating the virtual world.

It's hard as shit to try to push those buttons with the controller in between your buttcheeks.  YOU try it.  Not to mention that level is crazy hard.  Soon, though, I'll be on Don't Get Emotional When You Ejaculate, and it'll be smooth sailing from there on out.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on February 11, 2009, 02:31:51 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 11, 2009, 02:30:54 PM
If you PS3 guys are interested in getting this, the preview for the PS3 version sounds pretty positive.  The fact that they don't mention framerate problems is huge, considering the PS3 version of 2K8 apparently had a far worse framerate than the 360 version.

Thanks Al.

No problem.  See you in the bleachers, Chad.
Hire Jim Essian!

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2009, 02:18:55 PM
I've been wondering something, Pre...

Do you compose your Desipio posts in Notepad with word wrap turned on or what?

Nope.

I was going to leave it at that since the answer is pretty lame, but basically there's lots
of text boxes out there which will turn your long fancy line-wrapped text into blocks
by inserting line breaks for you.  Then, if someone with a smaller window setup views
it, the text looks like shit.  A lot of early email clients were like that.  I really hate it when
that happens so I'm particular about keeping lines short and balanced myself.  After I
write something I manually balance all the line lengths.

Also, I write a lot of software and that tends to make people kind of particular about
formatting.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »
Quote from: Pre on February 11, 2009, 02:51:54 PM

Nope.

I was going to leave it at that since the answer is pretty lame, but basically there's lots
of text boxes out there which will turn your long fancy line-wrapped text into blocks
by inserting line breaks for you.  Then, if someone with a smaller window setup views
it, the text looks like shit.  A lot of early email clients were like that.  I really hate it when
that happens so I'm particular about keeping lines short and balanced myself.  After I

Also, I write a lot of software and that tends to make people kind of particular about
formatting.

These text boxes don't do that, though.

The only reason it occurred to me to ask is that these line breaks make it hard to copy and paste your Weebs hate into the HJE ShoutBox for everyone else's amusement.

(And, yes... That is just the sort of thing we spend most of our days doing over there.)
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 11, 2009, 12:49:54 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 11, 2009, 11:13:33 AM
Isn't it like cheating?  I guess if the stitching showed up better on the pitches they wouldn't have to do something like this.  I never played MVP 2005, so I don't know how great it was.  To me, it takes away from the challenge of recognizing the pitch.  You can argue that recognizing the stitching and noticing color are similar, but the former seems like the bigger challenge.

Nitpicking, I know.

Well I'd be very impressed if someone could recognizing the stitching on a video game baseball and decide the pitch type.  Maybe it would be possible on a slow pitch speed on a very large high-def TV.  It's hard enough to tell if the damn thing is going to be in the strike zone, let alone which way it's rotating.

MVP's system worked really well, but ultimately was a bit too easy.  I believe each pitcher had one specific rating that determined how well they hid their pitches.  Hitting against most pitchers on the Pirates was simple because you'd know the type halfway through their windup and it was just a matter of judging location once you knew what the pitch looked like.  I really liked the system, but it was too easy.  I prefer it over something like The Show, because knowing exactly where the pitch will be through some on-screen target is pretty lame.  It's fine from time-to-time when the pitcher just fucks up, but it's a lot more fun and rewarding to actually be able to read the pitches.  I liked MVP so much because I actually got good enough that I felt like I was really in control when I played.  I could recognize the type of pitch and location, and then pull it, slap it the other way, or do whatever I needed to in that situation.  With the 2k games, no matter how much I played, I never really felt like I was controlling the outcome of the AB.  It was just a matter of timing the swing and then waiting to see what happened, which more often than not was 500 foot bomb.  In MVP, I knew when my swing would result in a single up the middle, a double down the line or whatever.  They really need to update that game...

I'm not sure how it worked in the past but that is not really the way it is on this year's game. You can guess the pitch and location, then if you guessed the location right, it will tell you. If the pitch type was guessed correctly, the "hit box"  flashes red, so very similar to this year's MLK9. I don't think it falls in the "lame" category but we all definitely do.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2009, 02:59:56 PM

Nope.

formatting.

The only reason it occurred to me to ask is that these line breaks make it hard to copy and paste your Weebs hate into the HJE ShoutBox for everyone else's amusement.

(And, yes... That is just the sort of thing we spend most of our days doing over there.)

We love our Weebs hate over there.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 11, 2009, 03:10:10 PM
Isn't it like cheating?  I guess if the stitching showed up better on the pitches they wouldn't have to do something like this.  I never played MVP 2005, so I don't know how great it was.  To me, it takes away from the challenge of recognizing the pitch.  You can argue that recognizing the stitching and noticing color are similar, but the former seems like the bigger challenge.

Nitpicking, I know.

Well I'd be very impressed if someone could recognizing the stitching on a video game baseball and decide the pitch type.  Maybe it would be possible on a slow pitch speed on a very large high-def TV.  It's hard enough to tell if the damn thing is going to be in the strike zone, let alone which way it's rotating.

MVP's system worked really well, but ultimately was a bit too easy.  I believe each pitcher had one specific rating that determined how well they hid their pitches.  Hitting against most pitchers on the Pirates was simple because you'd know the type halfway through their windup and it was just a matter of judging location once you knew what the pitch looked like.  I really liked the system, but it was too easy.  I prefer it over something like The Show, because knowing exactly where the pitch will be through some on-screen target is pretty lame.  It's fine from time-to-time when the pitcher just fucks up, but it's a lot more fun and rewarding to actually be able to read the pitches.  I liked MVP so much because I actually got good enough that I felt like I was really in control when I played.  I could recognize the type of pitch and location, and then pull it, slap it the other way, or do whatever I needed to in that situation.  With the 2k games, no matter how much I played, I never really felt like I was controlling the outcome of the AB.  It was just a matter of timing the swing and then waiting to see what happened, which more often than not was 500 foot bomb.  In MVP, I knew when my swing would result in a single up the middle, a double down the line or whatever.  They really need to update that game...

I'm not sure how it worked in the past but that is not really the way it is on this year's game. You can guess the pitch and location, then if you guessed the location right, it will tell you. If the pitch type was guessed correctly, the "hit box"  flashes red, so very similar to this year's MLK9. I don't think it falls in the "lame" category but we all definitely do.

Heh.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 11, 2009, 03:27:10 PM

Nope.

formatting.

It's Weebs' birthday today, you dicks.
Hire Jim Essian!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 11, 2009, 04:04:15 PM

Nope.

formatting.

I know. I celebrated by being an asshole in the shoutbox.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2009, 04:27:33 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 11, 2009, 04:12:01 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 11, 2009, 04:04:15 PM

Nope.

formatting.

I know. I celebrated by being an asshole in the shoutbox.

Just in case you need a link it's here: http://hirejimessian.com/hje-shoutbox/
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2009, 08:19:46 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 11, 2009, 03:37:27 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 11, 2009, 03:10:10 PM

Nitpicking, I know.

Heh.

Does the cursor glow red when you guess the dream right?
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »
O.S. just put up a shitload of screens.  All the create-a-player options will make it pretty easy to add guys who aren't officially in the game, like that SCAB Kevin Millar.

Teeth:  CAPPED
Hire Jim Essian!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:54 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 12, 2009, 03:43:26 PM
O.S. just put up a shitload of screens.  All the create-a-player options will make it pretty easy to add guys who aren't officially in the game, like that SCAB Kevin Millar.

My favorite pictures of a tv screen of a video game that hasn't come out yet are the 42 of them of the menu for the presentation settings.  WIND SPEED: 790 GOOGILION MPH!
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2009, 03:53:51 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on February 12, 2009, 03:50:54 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 12, 2009, 03:43:26 PM

My favorite pictures of a tv screen of a video game that hasn't come out yet are the 42 of them of the menu for the presentation settings.  WIND SPEED: 790 GOOGILION MPH!

I love when TDubbs jumps in here.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.