News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,372 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »
Quote from: dbal on February 13, 2009, 03:37:12 PM
10 minute Cubs v. Cards just posted: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/majorleaguebaseball2k9/video/6204671/major-league-baseball-2k9-gameplay-movie-3

I'm with Slakee.  The IT Fun Nazis block all videos and image hosters, so I can't see or watch squat.  But, thanks for posting the links, fellas, or I'd otherwise not even bother at home.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »
Complete and utter DPD, but I'm going to go ahead and say I'm not 100% impressed.  On Schumaker's steal, the animations are terrible.  He didn't even slide.  He actually went into a "round the bases" animation.  Most of Zambrano's animations between pitches are very herky-jerky.  So was Schumaker's after the foul ball to first.

I'm still gonna be a moron and get the game.  I just thought it'd be a little more ironed out.  Is there enough time to smoothe the game out?
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 13, 2009, 08:29:31 PM
Complete and utter DPD, but I'm going to go ahead and say I'm not 100% impressed.  On Schumaker's steal, the animations are terrible.  He didn't even slide.  He actually went into a "round the bases" animation.  Most of Zambrano's animations between pitches are very herky-jerky.  So was Schumaker's after the foul ball to first.

I'm still gonna be a moron and get the game.  I just thought it'd be a little more ironed out.  Is there enough time to smoothe the game out?

You do realize that the USER was controlling Schumaker, right?  The guy even admitted that he didn't know what he was doing, so he failed to hit the slide button and instead sent the guy to 3rd.  There's another video where a ball lands right behind Soriano because the guy playing the game sucks.  Also, keep in mind that this isn't a 100% build.  I'm not saying the animations are going to be perfect in the final product, but they might be better.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 13, 2009, 08:35:01 PM

You do realize that the USER was controlling Schumaker, right?  The guy even admitted that he didn't know what he was doing, so he failed to hit the slide button and instead sent the guy to 3rd.  There's another video where a ball lands right behind Soriano because the guy playing the game sucks.  Also, keep in mind that this isn't a 100% build.  I'm not saying the animations are going to be perfect in the final product, but they might be better.

I guess I didn't realize that what with all the beer I've had so far.  That makes more sense.  I do think that things inside the stadium look way better than they did last year.  I'm happy about that.  One little thing, though--the gloves still look like complete shit.

One thing I love about this new game:  Gary Thorne.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 13, 2009, 08:41:50 PM

I guess I didn't realize that what with all the beer I've had so far.  That makes more sense.  I do think that things inside the stadium look way better than they did last year.  I'm happy about that.  One little thing, though--the gloves still look like complete shit.

Nice.  Love: Gary Thorne.  Hate: the fact that the fucking organ is still in it.  I'm digging these videos, though.  The "living ballpark" or whatever the hell they're calling it REALLY adds to the presentation.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2009, 08:58:24 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 13, 2009, 08:50:08 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 13, 2009, 08:41:50 PM

Nice.  Love: Gary Thorne.  Hate: the fact that the fucking organ is still in it.  I'm digging these videos, though.  The "living ballpark" or whatever the hell they're calling it REALLY adds to the presentation.

Thorne is such a nice change of pace.  They made an excellent choice because he has a sort of "feel" to his voice and commentary that you actually get the feeling that he belongs in the booth calling your game.  Things like that are subtle, but add authenticity and legitimacy to the game.

You're right about the organ.  How many years now?  It's making me want to research how to add my own stadium beats so that I don't have to listen to that crap.  Instead:  John Mayer and DMB.  Just kidding.  But, not really.  But, kinda.

Anyway, I'm still a little worried about the animations.  I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade about the game, but if you pay close attention to the batting stances--for instance, when the batter walks to the plate it's smooth.  But, then there's this split second of hurry-up in the animation that looks herky jerky.  I didn't see any of that in the vids of The Show.  I know it's not a final build, and I'm going to reserve complete judgement until March 2.  I just hope that they iron that out.  Overall, though, that's my only real complaint along with the gloves.  Hopefully, the game plays well and feels authentic and not tired.

Other things I liked:  the slightly altered batting and pitching and fielding cameras and the sound of the bat hitting the ball is pretty solid.  Also, seeing e-Milton Bradley in a Cubs uniform was bonerific.

Something else I didn't like:  after Pujols' homerun in the 10-minute video, Thorne says the score of the game is "one to three" when the actual score is 0-3, Cardinals.  Lame.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2009, 01:32:15 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 13, 2009, 08:58:24 PM
Anyway, I'm still a little worried about the animations.  I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade about the game, but if you pay close attention to the batting stances--for instance, when the batter walks to the plate it's smooth.  But, then there's this split second of hurry-up in the animation that looks herky jerky.  I didn't see any of that in the vids of The Show.  I know it's not a final build, and I'm going to reserve complete judgement until March 2.  I just hope that they iron that out.  Overall, though, that's my only real complaint along with the gloves. 

I haven't watched any videos, but SPOILER ALERT:

They won't iron out all the problems.  It will be a mediocre game.

Stupid upcoming wedding keeps this from being the year I buy a ps3 only for The Show (and Disgaea 3 'cause I'm a super nerd).

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2009, 07:46:30 AM »
Quote from: Pre on February 14, 2009, 01:32:15 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 13, 2009, 08:58:24 PM
Anyway, I'm still a little worried about the animations.  I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade about the game, but if you pay close attention to the batting stances--for instance, when the batter walks to the plate it's smooth.  But, then there's this split second of hurry-up in the animation that looks herky jerky.  I didn't see any of that in the vids of The Show.  I know it's not a final build, and I'm going to reserve complete judgement until March 2.  I just hope that they iron that out.  Overall, though, that's my only real complaint along with the gloves. 

I haven't watched any videos, but SPOILER ALERT:

They won't iron out all the problems.  It will be a mediocre game.

Stupid upcoming wedding keeps this from being the year I buy a ps3 only for The Show (and Disgaea 3 'cause I'm a super nerd).

No love for Metal Gear Solid 4?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Hands-on preview for the PS3 360 version at O.S.

*Edit:  The O.S. guys clarified that it's the 360 version, and that the label is a mistake.
Hire Jim Essian!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2009, 11:33:27 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 16, 2009, 10:11:00 AM

*Edit:  The O.S. guys clarified that it's the 360 version, and that the label is a mistake.

Quick rundown for the IT-impaired? Do they like it?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
If you're wondering what the cursor hitting is going to look like, it looks like it might be similar to Pro Yakyuu Spirits, which is apparently awesome.

Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on February 16, 2009, 11:33:27 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 16, 2009, 10:11:00 AM

Quick rundown for the IT-impaired? Do they like it?

We linked it, so I can post it, right, Dolan?

QuoteI have played quite a bit of our beta copy of Major League Baseball 2K9, so I will give my impressions of what I have seen so far. Just keep in mind, some of the issues I have witnessed will not be in the final retail version, according to the developers of the game.

Some Unanswered Questions

The biggest question has to be the frame rate and the A.I. swinging at anything remotely close to the strike zone. After multiple games, I can definitely tell you there are some issues with the frame rate, but those issues are not consistently popping up. For example, here are some instances where I have seen hiccups in animations one time, and then a few innings later, seen the exact type of play and not seen any hiccups.

I have seen slowdown and loss of frames during certain cut scenes and foul ball situations. Obviously, these instances will not affect the gameplay at all, but there are some that do. For example, I have seen slowdowns on grounders in the infield, pop ups that drop just in front of an outfielder and on occasion after a bunt when the catcher is throwing the ball to first base. Just remember, I am not seeing this stuff all the time, but I am seeing it.

When playing the A.I., it seems it swings at everything in the strike zone, rarely swinging at balls outside the zone. So, it makes it very difficult to get a decent pitch count. I have messed with the sliders, and while improving it some, I am still not satisfied.

I have seen a thread on the forums talking about this issue, and will try a few of the ideas posted there and then report the results.

I have also noticed a few other issues that I feel should be mentioned. On occasion, you will overthrow your intended teammate. This of course happens if you are being aggressive on your throw. However, for example, I will occasionally overthrow my third baseman. Now, if the ball gets passed him and the teammate backing that throw up, the A.I. seems to think the play is over and will not give you a free advance. It does not happen all the time, but I feel it should be mentioned.

In a low scoring game, I would like to see the A.I. bunt a guy over from first -- sometimes the A.I. listens to my request. Still, while sacrifices do occur at times, they do not happen as often as I would like them to.

Some Kudos

On the other end of things, I have been able to generate walks for my team. If you are patient, you will see walks. In addition, the hit variety has got to be seen to be believed. Even though I have not actually captured most of the various hits, I have witnessed seeing-eye singles, bloop singles, slow grounders, dribblers, line drives just over the leaping infielders, as well as foul balls off the batter's foot.

The commentary is very solid. There are some repetitive sayings, but it is very well done and appropriate in all situations. But, just like the fans, the commentators could be more excited during certain situations. Speaking of the fans, they get a little more frantic as the game progresses. You will especially see this in the ninth inning of a close game because you will slowly see fans stand up in different parts of the stadium, until finally all the fans are up out of their seats cheering the home team on.

Real-time atmosphere is very nicely done. I cannot tell you how well it has been implemented. You see some of it in the videos, but there are so many other instances of it. The camera angles are also implemented very well, as you can adjust the pitching and batting camera to quite a few different positions. While it is nice to have so many different camera options, it is disappointing that there are no outfield-adjustable cameras.

Some "Little Things"

Also, here are just a few "little things" I have seen. When foul balls are hit into the dugouts, players jump out of the way. This also happens in the bullpens. On pitches in the dirt that are misplayed by the catcher, the batter will wave the runner to advance. However, the batter is not always right. On close balls and strikes calls, you will see the batter give an evil eye to the ump and even shake his head. On close safe/out calls, you will see players become frustrated with the umps and throw their arms up and argue the call -- to no avail. Player jerseys get dirty in the field and when running the bases.

(continued)
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:01 AM »
(rest of preview)

QuoteA Few More Issues

Here are also a few more things that are bothering me. There are some clipping issues -- players are going through other players; some home run balls are going through walls after they bounce into the stands; and there is a lack of take-out slides (or at least I have not seen any).

It is also odd seeing players look at one base, but then throwing to another. The best example of this is on a double play ball: The second baseman or shortstop will look home, but will still throw it to first. It just looks odd. In addition, outfielders crow hop most throws back into the infield, even those that go to the cutoff man; but, they do not occur when there is a putout.

Wrapping It Up

All in all, I am enjoying my time with the game even though I have a few gripes with the gameplay. If the developers tweak the game so the A.I. does not swing at everything in the zone and get the frame rate right, I will be satisfied, and I am sure most gamers will be as well.
Hire Jim Essian!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
Thanks Kerm. I'm going to stay off in these fringier threads where it's safe.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on February 16, 2009, 11:49:05 AM
Thanks Kerm. I'm going to stay off in these fringier threads where it's safe.

No problem.  I get the impression that this game is going to be far from perfect, but it's going to look pretty, have much-improved hitting, and Thorne will be excellent.  If that's the case, it'll last me through the summer.  There have been hints that VC has made some significant changes to Franchise Mode, but they haven't said what those changes are yet.  I'll be interested to see if we get any info on that this week.
Hire Jim Essian!