News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,341 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
Quote from: Pre on February 24, 2009, 01:07:41 PM
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2009, 12:10:45 PM
I can say the baserunning is pretty awful though.  I think to switch runners now, you have to cycle through them with the A button.  That's the only way I found to do it.  Also, I couldn't find a button to steal a base.  I had Crawford and Upton on, led off with them, and tried just about every button I could think of.  Nothing worked.  Was it some kind of combination of buttons you had to press in last year's game?

So, you don't even know how to steal a base, but you are ready to proclaim
the base running system is awful? 

Is it impossible to steal a base at all this year?

Perhaps you might want to wait until you learn how to play the game before
passing judgment.

I have no idea if the games any good.  I haven't played the demo yet as a start. 
But I'm pretty sure if we label everything that you are ignorant about as awful then
there's not going to be a lot of awesome in this world.  And a lot of us are going to
have to change our opinion on sex with girls.

I am so in love with you.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »
I can say the baserunning is pretty awful though.  I think to switch runners now, you have to cycle through them with the A button.  That's the only way I found to do it.  Also, I couldn't find a button to steal a base.  I had Crawford and Upton on, led off with them, and tried just about every button I could think of.  Nothing worked.  Was it some kind of combination of buttons you had to press in last year's game?

passing judgment.

I have no idea if the games any good.  I haven't played the demo yet as a start. 
But I'm pretty sure if we label everything that you are ignorant about as awful then
there's not going to be a lot of awesome in this world.  And a lot of us are going to

To be fair (which I know you don't like when it comes to Weebs), I get what he's saying.  They claimed they made the baserunning more intuitive and simpler, but they absolutely did not.  Weebs is right about having to cycle through the baserunners, which is completely retarded.  I can't believe they didn't include an in-game manual, at least for the controls.

Weebs, to steal, you press the left trigger and release to take a bigger leadoff.  When you're happy with your lead, apparently you hold the left trigger until the controller shakes, or something.  When you release the left trigger, your guy runs.  To go back to the base, it's the right trigger.  This is not from firsthand knowledge, as I haven't tried it, since I only had one fucking guy on base in six innings.
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
DPD, but apparently you can pinch hit and bring in relievers.  I have no idea how, though.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 24, 2009, 01:19:59 PM

passing judgment.

To be fair (which I know you don't like when it comes to Weebs), I get what he's saying.  They claimed they made the baserunning more intuitive and simpler, but they absolutely did not.  Weebs is right about having to cycle through the baserunners, which is completely retarded.  I can't believe they didn't include an in-game manual, at least for the controls.

Weebs, to steal, you press the left trigger and release to take a bigger leadoff.  When you're happy with your lead, apparently you hold the left trigger until the controller shakes, or something.  When you release the left trigger, your guy runs.  To go back to the base, it's the right trigger.  This is not from firsthand knowledge, as I haven't tried it, since I only had one fucking guy on base in six innings.

If that's the case, that's stupid.  The pitcher usually throws over when you take 3 steps off the base, so I guess that means you have to take one, then hold the trigger again for your second step if you want to steal.  But then when you're actually running the bases, the right analog pics the base to run to.  The controls are really odd.

As for pitch-hitting/bring in relievers, I'm guessing if it's in there, you do it via those quick-change menus that you can bring up without actually going to the pause menu.  I tried pushing in the analog sticks and some other stuff, but they didn't seem to do anything.  Whatever, we're probably all buying this game on release day, so only a week to find out whether or not it truly sucks.  The demo gave me some optimism for mediocrity.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2009, 01:34:18 PM
If that's the case, that's stupid.  The pitcher usually throws over when you take 3 steps off the base, so I guess that means you have to take one, then hold the trigger again for your second step if you want to steal.  But then when you're actually running the bases, the right analog pics the base to run to.  The controls are really odd.

As for pitch-hitting/bring in relievers, I'm guessing if it's in there, you do it via those quick-change menus that you can bring up without actually going to the pause menu.  I tried pushing in the analog sticks and some other stuff, but they didn't seem to do anything.  Whatever, we're probably all buying this game on release day, so only a week to find out whether or not it truly sucks.  The demo gave me some optimism for mediocrity.

I think when you pull and hold, it doesn't take another leadoff step, but I could be wrong.

By the way, you mentioned screwing up the hit timing.  This year, you can pull down on the stick whenever you want to get ready for your swing.  It's sort of dumbed down from last year.  I don't remember if you can add back in the "step influence" from 2K8.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 24, 2009, 01:39:05 PM

I think when you pull and hold, it doesn't take another leadoff step, but I could be wrong.

By the way, you mentioned screwing up the hit timing.  This year, you can pull down on the stick whenever you want to get ready for your swing.  It's sort of dumbed down from last year.  I don't remember if you can add back in the "step influence" from 2K8.

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe you are just supposed to pull back right away.  I was trying to time the step correctly like last year, but it seems like it wasn't performing the back motion correctly.  I think you have to complete the load before you can actually swing, which was why hitting back and forward too quick wasn't doing anything.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2009, 02:05:50 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe you are just supposed to pull back right away.  I was trying to time the step correctly like last year, but it seems like it wasn't performing the back motion correctly.  I think you have to complete the load before you can actually swing, which was why hitting back and forward too quick wasn't doing anything.

I'd give you advice, but I got one goddamn hit in six innings.
Hire Jim Essian!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »

The part that I didn't like was how it was just a video game.  I mean, I tried to use the leftright trigger on my joystick to make the guy lead off, and he did, but then I couldn't get him to lean back towards first to do a proper one-way lead when a lefty was on the mound.  I also didn't like that one icon that said what the score was.  It kept showing 0-0.  They'll have to fix that glich on the modukalator before the game is actually, you know, out in stores.  
I did, however, download the cheat codes, and got 7 hits in one inning.  I got the timing down by pressing the button when the ball was coming towards the plate.  It swung the bat, then the bat hit the ball, then the ball went to the outfield.  It was awesome.  
What I didn't like, was the unrealisticness of some parts.  I'm not sure if that's b/c it's not real and it's fake, or if it was unrealistic b/c it's not real and it's a video game.  That part was confusing.  I discussed the answer with a 9 year old online through my headset, and he said he didn't know, you know, b/c he's a 9 year old and plays video games.  So in essence, I don't know what to think.  I guess I'll just have to wait UNTIL THE GAME IS ACTUALLY RELEASED.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on February 24, 2009, 02:23:14 PM

The part that I didn't like was how it was just a video game.  I mean, I tried to use the leftright trigger on my joystick to make the guy lead off, and he did, but then I couldn't get him to lean back towards first to do a proper one-way lead when a lefty was on the mound.  I also didn't like that one icon that said what the score was.  It kept showing 0-0.  They'll have to fix that glich on the modukalator before the game is actually, you know, out in stores.  
I did, however, download the cheat codes, and got 7 hits in one inning.  I got the timing down by pressing the button when the ball was coming towards the plate.  It swung the bat, then the bat hit the ball, then the ball went to the outfield.  It was awesome.  
What I didn't like, was the unrealisticness of some parts.  I'm not sure if that's b/c it's not real and it's fake, or if it was unrealistic b/c it's not real and it's a video game.  That part was confusing.  I discussed the answer with a 9 year old online through my headset, and he said he didn't know, you know, b/c he's a 9 year old and plays video games.  So in essence, I don't know what to think.  I guess I'll just have to wait UNTIL THE GAME IS ACTUALLY RELEASED.

THIS
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »

I guess you don't know what a demo is, huh?

By the way, did you have fun playing Rock Band 2 with me on Saturday?  You realize you're not in a real band now, right?
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »

That said, your post was hysterical.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »
I just played two more "games" and noticed a few other things.  For one, I had Victorino hit a ball in the gap in left-center.  It ended up hitting off the wall, but I guess the outfielders thought it was a HR because neither Crawford or Upton moved at all to try and get it, so Victorino easily ran around the bases for an inside-the-park HR.  Hopefully that doesn't happen again.  The second game I played, the Phillies scored two runs on legitimately hit balls and an error by Upton.  It was nice to see the AI score without hitting HRs.  On the other hand, both runs I scored that game were on solo HRs.  One from Iwamura and Burrell.  I'm hoping it's not another big homer fest like last year, but I'm sure sliders should help to take care of a lot of that.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
Yeah, I think the demo difficulty level is Pro, which is generally way too easy.  Also, the rumor is that the demo code is about two months old, so I'm hoping some of the glitches get ironed out.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »
I'll save everyone the long-winded review of a stupid demo that no one will read and just say that I was pleasantly surprised by the framerate, stadiums, fielding (along with depth of field) and pitching.  The presentation is pretty much great, especially Gary Thorne.  Nice work on that one, 2K.

I got one hit as Tampa Bay in three innings and didn't allow a hit in three innings.  I'm actually very eager to spend $60 next Tuesday on this game.

Also, I love TDubbs.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: February 24, 2009, 08:08:30 PM »
DPD, but I figured out how to make substitutions.  When hitting, press down on your DPad and you'll bring up your lineup card.  From there, it's pretty self explanatory.  I'm guessing the same idea works when you're pitching.  UPDATE:  The same for pitching.

Also, when running the bases, you select the runner you want by pressing the A Button and then move the Right Stick in the direction of the base you want the selected runner to proceed.  So, if you have a runner on first and hit a single to right field, select the runner going from first by pressing A and press left on the RS to send him to third.  Fairly easy.

A very subtle nuance to note:  after a half inning is over, there is the usual line score and a brief statement by Thorne.  But, the screen cuts to black for about two seconds, as if the game is actually going to go to commercial.  It feels really authentic.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.