News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,363 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2009, 12:33:15 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 24, 2009, 08:08:30 PM
DPD, but I figured out how to make substitutions.  When hitting, press down on your DPad and you'll bring up your lineup card.  From there, it's pretty self explanatory.  I'm guessing the same idea works when you're pitching.  UPDATE:  The same for pitching.

Also, when running the bases, you select the runner you want by pressing the A Button and then move the Right Stick in the direction of the base you want the selected runner to proceed.  So, if you have a runner on first and hit a single to right field, select the runner going from first by pressing A and press left on the RS to send him to third.  Fairly easy.

A very subtle nuance to note:  after a half inning is over, there is the usual line score and a brief statement by Thorne.  But, the screen cuts to black for about two seconds, as if the game is actually going to go to commercial.  It feels really authentic.

THIS.

I thought it seemed a little odd at first, like maybe it was just their way of resetting all the living crowd thing or whatever it's called, but assuming that doesn't get changed, it's a really neat touch.  Hopefully they even add some kind of "Welcome back" dialog to start off, rather than just going right back into the next AB.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 25, 2009, 12:33:15 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 24, 2009, 08:08:30 PM
DPD, but I figured out how to make substitutions.  When hitting, press down on your DPad and you'll bring up your lineup card.  From there, it's pretty self explanatory.  I'm guessing the same idea works when you're pitching.  UPDATE:  The same for pitching.

Also, when running the bases, you select the runner you want by pressing the A Button and then move the Right Stick in the direction of the base you want the selected runner to proceed.  So, if you have a runner on first and hit a single to right field, select the runner going from first by pressing A and press left on the RS to send him to third.  Fairly easy.

A very subtle nuance to note:  after a half inning is over, there is the usual line score and a brief statement by Thorne.  But, the screen cuts to black for about two seconds, as if the game is actually going to go to commercial.  It feels really authentic.

THIS.

I thought it seemed a little odd at first, like maybe it was just their way of resetting all the living crowd thing or whatever it's called, but assuming that doesn't get changed, it's a really neat touch.  Hopefully they even add some kind of "Welcome back" dialog to start off, rather than just going right back into the next AB.

Thirded.  Nice little touch.  The audio fades in and out as if they're going to commercial and coming back, as well.
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »
I guess we can finally start talking about this game without pissing off Captain Cavechad, since two guys at O.S. have the full game.  This was good to see:

Quote* In franchise mode, you get neat little stats underneath their season stats, such as "2nd in the league in hitting" or "currently on an 8 game hitting streak". Very "Show" like.
    * I've struck out a few batters looking already and I haven't played a full game yet.
    * In a game as the Yankees at home vs the Rangers, Kinsler led off the game grounding to 3rd. A-Roid threw high to 1st and he reached base on an error, yet the announcers were discussing how much pitchers hate giving up infield hits.
    * Simmed through a franchise season and the Tampa Bay Rays defeated the LA Dodgers 4 games to 1 to win the World Series.

Other than the third bullet, it sounds good so far.
Hire Jim Essian!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 25, 2009, 03:33:47 PM
I guess we can finally start talking about this game without pissing off Captain Cavechad, since two guys at O.S. have the full game.  This was good to see:

Quote* In franchise mode, you get neat little stats underneath their season stats, such as "2nd in the league in hitting" or "currently on an 8 game hitting streak". Very "Show" like.
    * I've struck out a few batters looking already and I haven't played a full game yet.
    * In a game as the Yankees at home vs the Rangers, Kinsler led off the game grounding to 3rd. A-Roid threw high to 1st and he reached base on an error, yet the announcers were discussing how much pitchers hate giving up infield hits.
    * Simmed through a franchise season and the Tampa Bay Rays defeated the LA Dodgers 4 games to 1 to win the World Series.

Can you turn the announcers off?  Always the best option.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 25, 2009, 03:58:52 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 25, 2009, 03:33:47 PM

Can you turn the announcers off?  Always the best option.

You could last year, so I'm sure you can.  I don't know why you'd want to, though.  Thorne is fantastic in the demo.  Also, I was more concerned about the game getting the scoring wrong rather than the announcers calling it wrong.  I'm not sure what the case was.
Hire Jim Essian!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2009, 05:08:40 PM »
I tried to download this last night and Xbox said it was unavailable. Assholes. I'll try again tonight. Just want to see how much better having The Show will be and see how much I'll enjoy being the asshole laughing at 2k9.. (With my luck, 2k9 will surpass The Show)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 25, 2009, 05:04:33 PM
You could last year, so I'm sure you can.  I don't know why you'd want to, though.
Seemed to me that if you played a whole season the calls became repetitive after around game 30 or so.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »
All except the one where Thorne accuses Curt Schilling of putting red food coloring on his sock.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 25, 2009, 05:10:46 PM
You could last year, so I'm sure you can.  I don't know why you'd want to, though.
Seemed to me that if you played a whole season the calls became repetitive after around game 30 or so.

Oh, definitely.  And if it gets repetitive, I'll shut it off.  But last year, I shut off Morgan and Miller before the first pitch of inning number one.  I sure hope you can shut off the organ, too.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 25, 2009, 05:35:57 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 25, 2009, 05:10:46 PM

Oh, definitely.  And if it gets repetitive, I'll shut it off.  But last year, I shut off Morgan and Miller before the first pitch of inning number one.  I sure hope you can shut off the organ, too.

About the announcing:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14299423/vids_1.html

Watch the two videos named "Return to Topic" and "Zero Stitching."
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
Ugh.  One of the editors at O.S. found a franchise-killing bug already.  Apparently, the 30 teams have limited budgets, which causes a large number of stud free agents (Manny, Lincecum, etc.) to remain completely UNSIGNED after becoming free agents.  I usually don't play through multiple seasons, but you guys who do (Simmer?) BEWARE.  If the free agent signing logic is sound, I would think a patch that edited the budgets would fix it, but I wouldn't count on a patch from 2K, to be honest.
Hire Jim Essian!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2009, 10:23:56 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 26, 2009, 10:18:20 AM
Ugh.  One of the editors at O.S. found a franchise-killing bug already.  Apparently, the 30 teams have limited budgets, which causes a large number of stud free agents (Manny, Lincecum, etc.) to remain completely UNSIGNED after becoming free agents.  I usually don't play through multiple seasons, but you guys who do (Simmer?) BEWARE.  If the free agent signing logic is sound, I would think a patch that edited the budgets would fix it, but I wouldn't count on a patch from 2K, to be honest.

Well you can still play and try to enjoy one season anyway.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on February 26, 2009, 10:23:56 AM

Yeah, it's not as big an issue for me, as I haven't made it through a full baseball season since MVP 2005.  But for the multiple-season franchise guys, that's very disappointing.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:13 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 26, 2009, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: Slakee on February 26, 2009, 10:23:56 AM

Yeah, it's not as big an issue for me, as I haven't made it through a full baseball season since MVP 2005.  But for the multiple-season franchise guys, that's very disappointing.

I remember Madden 05 had a bug like this, particularly with fantasy draft seasons.  After the second season, many teams would be millions of dollars over the salary cap, couldn't fill their roster, and therefore the season could never start.  Hopefully, 2k can address this issue pretty quickly.  I'd assume it's a bug that's been on their radar for a while now, and they're just assuming most people won't finish a full season for a while after the game releases, so they can patch it soon after release.  If it's one of those patches that doesn't affect franchises already in progress, however, fuck them.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2009, 11:22:23 AM »

Um, Manny is unsigned.  It makes sense that teams have limited budgets, it probably just means they need to adjust free agents to take best available deals.