News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,373 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 13, 2009, 04:25:53 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 13, 2009, 04:19:03 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 13, 2009, 04:10:33 PM
Quote from: MikeC on March 13, 2009, 02:04:10 PM
Gamespot is my favorite place to look at video game reviews and the baseball reviews are in.....MLB the Show 9.0 rating, and MLB 2k9 got a god awful 4.5. They also have reviews from many other game review sites and 2k9 is a pretty shitty game overall and MLB the Show is tits on ice.

The amount of crap that is wrong with 2k9 no patch is ever going to fix.

Gamespot is absolutely terrible.  Anyone who rated 2K9 lower than 2K8 has no idea how to review a sports video game.  In fact, they don't know how to review games at all.  GTA IV is a perfect 10?  Seriously?

To be fair, it received near 10s from everywhere.  And, every gaming site like that has a high hard one for Rockstar.  Rightfully so, as GTAIV is pretty much the balls.

GTA IV is a very good game, but it wasn't even the best game released last year.  It's certainly not worthy of a perfect score.  Hell, it's arguably not even worthy of a score over 9.0.

I thought it was pretty incredible and would easily give it at least a 9.  Just sitting back and looking around Liberty City, it's pretty remarkable what Rockstar did.  The sheer amount of "stuff" there is in the world is mind-blowing.  And despite some of the gameplay quirks, I thought the different elements were really solid.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 13, 2009, 04:58:15 PM
Gamespot is my favorite place to look at video game reviews and the baseball reviews are in.....MLB the Show 9.0 rating, and MLB 2k9 got a god awful 4.5. They also have reviews from many other game review sites and 2k9 is a pretty shitty game overall and MLB the Show is tits on ice.

Gamespot is absolutely terrible.  Anyone who rated 2K9 lower than 2K8 has no idea how to review a sports video game.  In fact, they don't know how to review games at all.  GTA IV is a perfect 10?  Seriously?

To be fair, it received near 10s from everywhere.  And, every gaming site like that has a high hard one for Rockstar.  Rightfully so, as GTAIV is pretty much the balls.

GTA IV is a very good game, but it wasn't even the best game released last year.  It's certainly not worthy of a perfect score.  Hell, it's arguably not even worthy of a score over 9.0.

I thought it was pretty incredible and would easily give it at least a 9.  Just sitting back and looking around Liberty City, it's pretty remarkable what Rockstar did.  The sheer amount of "stuff" there is in the world is mind-blowing.  And despite some of the gameplay quirks, I thought the different elements were really solid.

Play Saints' Row 2 and then try GTA IV again.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #482 on: March 13, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 13, 2009, 05:05:35 PM

No thanks.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »

I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at here.. Maybe Saint's Row >>> GTA IV? I'm not sure if I could echo that but I do know Saint's Row was a blast, especially those times of trying to co-op it up. I don't really know where I'd put them but I thought both games were pretty fun and good.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 13, 2009, 05:09:10 PM

No thanks.

Que Pre for your daily video game beatdown.

When Rockstar forgot about everything that made the GTA series fun, Saints' Row was there to pick up the pieces.  I appreciate a lot of the things that GTA IV did right, but I feel like somewhere along the line Rockstar forgot that games are supposed to be enjoyable to play.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: March 13, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 13, 2009, 05:15:02 PM

No thanks.

When Rockstar forgot about everything that made the GTA series fun, Saints' Row was there to pick up the pieces.  I appreciate a lot of the things that GTA IV did right, but I feel like somewhere along the line Rockstar forgot that games are supposed to be enjoyable to play.

I thought it was plenty fun to play.  They went for a much more realistic approach, which I think showed up quite a lot in the story, and while it led to a few wonky control issues for driving and stuff, I thought everything else was done really well.  The GPS, in particular, was awesome.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 13, 2009, 05:17:00 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 13, 2009, 05:15:02 PM

No thanks.

I thought it was plenty fun to play.  They went for a much more realistic approach, which I think showed up quite a lot in the story, and while it led to a few wonky control issues for driving and stuff, I thought everything else was done really well.  The GPS, in particular, was awesome.

And the fact that the main character moved like a tank.  And the stupid cell phone dates.  And the lack of mid-mission checkpoints.  And the impossibility of driving and shooting at the same time.  And the fact that you had to drive to a safehouse or beat a mission to save your game.  After the "wow" factor wore off (in about a week), that game felt like a chore to play.  I thought the fawning reviews were ridiculous.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: March 13, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »
I see both sides here.  The game, though extremely well done and satisfyingly deep, lost some of its gloss when Rockstar decided to deviate from some of the formula of GTAs past.  I haven't beaten the game yet and still I dropped Microsoft points on the Lost and Damned expansion.

I don't know where Weebs gets "wonky driving" from in his thoughts of the game.  I thought the driving and feel of the vehicles was one of the things Rockstar did spot on.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: March 13, 2009, 05:35:49 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 13, 2009, 05:32:41 PM
I see both sides here.  The game, though extremely well done and satisfyingly deep, lost some of its gloss when Rockstar decided to deviate from some of the formula of GTAs past.  I haven't beaten the game yet and still I dropped Microsoft points on the Lost and Damned expansion.

I don't know where Weebs gets "wonky driving" from in his thoughts of the game.  I thought the driving and feel of the vehicles was one of the things Rockstar did spot on.

I meant in the way it changed from the past GTA games.  It took a while to get used to and made chase missions kind of annoying at times.  I think the main problem is they just didn't want the game to be as "arcade-y" as the past iterations, which I liked for the most part, mostly in the way it played out in the story.  However, I will say that San Andreas was one of the best games I've played, and I'm hoping the next GTA will be as epic in scale as that one was.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: March 13, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »

Yeah, I thought the driving was fine.  Which was good, since you spent 90% of the game doing it.

Weebs is just being a snob by summarily dismissing SR2.  There is a series of missions where you hijack a septic tank and spray shit on people.  SHIT!  SR has become everything that GTA used to be.  Like fun.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: March 13, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 13, 2009, 05:42:44 PM

Yeah, I thought the driving was fine.  Which was good, since you spent 90% of the game doing it.

Weebs is just being a snob by summarily dismissing SR2.  There is a series of missions where you hijack a septic tank and spray shit on people.  SHIT!  SR has become everything that GTA used to be.  Like fun.

I'm not really dismissing SR2.  I haven't played it and really have no opinion of it, although I didn't have much fun with the first one.  I'm just saying I thought GTA IV was great.  And everything I've heard about SR2 is that it's a lot of fun too.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2009, 05:50:27 PM »

I'll get SR2 off the scrap heap one of these days.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 13, 2009, 05:50:27 PM

I'll get SR2 off the scrap heap one of these days.

IAN, you should. It is pretty fun. The more I read what Kermit posted, the more I realize he is right about SR2>>GTA IV. When I played the L&Damned (which was my first GTA in months) I kept thinking how slow my guy moved. And then I accidently had autosave off for the opening mission. I had to play it twice. And I'm not even sure if it autosaved. I couldn't remember how to save either. I tried going to the start menu and expecting it but it wasn't there. So yea, basically Kermit is right about his assessment of SR2. It was a lot of fun. Plus, playing co-op with him (despite the internet issues) was a blast. Some of the most fun I've had in an online game not called Call of Duty

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: March 13, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »
Well, I must say that I've just finished one of my funnest games so far in 2K9.  I was down to the Indians 5-3 in the bottom of the 9th and Kobayashi (not the hot dog guy) was in to close.  He got Aviles on a grounder to first, one down.  Then, Gordon goes yak for his second HR of the game:  5-4 Tribe.

Next up is Billy Butler.  He takes an outside fastball to right just in front of Choo for a single.  Up next is Mark Teahan and I send in Jay Payton to pinch run for Butler.  Teahan is down in the count, 1-2 and proceeds to take an outside fastball deep to left center between Sizemore and Fransisco for a double and Payton scores all the way from first to tie the game at 5.  There is something really satisfying about that double from Teahan.

Next up is Josh Willingham.  Kobayashi serves up a 1-1 fastball right over the heart of the plate and Willingham makes him pay with a two-run HR to straight away CF:  Royals win.

Something weird though as the team really didn't celebrate...they just walked off the field and into the dugout.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2009, 03:42:46 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 13, 2009, 06:08:39 PM
Well, I must say that I've just finished one of my funnest games so far in 2K9.  I was down to the Indians 5-3 in the bottom of the 9th and Kobayashi (not the hot dog guy) was in to close.  He got Aviles on a grounder to first, one down.  Then, Gordon goes yak for his second HR of the game:  5-4 Tribe.

Next up is Billy Butler.  He takes an outside fastball to right just in front of Choo for a single.  Up next is Mark Teahan and I send in Jay Payton to pinch run for Butler.  Teahan is down in the count, 1-2 and proceeds to take an outside fastball deep to left center between Sizemore and Fransisco for a double and Payton scores all the way from first to tie the game at 5.  There is something really satisfying about that double from Teahan.

Next up is Josh Willingham.  Kobayashi serves up a 1-1 fastball right over the heart of the plate and Willingham makes him pay with a two-run HR to straight away CF:  Royals win.

Something weird though as the team really didn't celebrate...they just walked off the field and into the dugout.

They were overcome by the futility of playing baseball in KC.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.