News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,433 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #510 on: March 17, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 17, 2009, 12:40:44 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 17, 2009, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 08:56:41 AM
DPD, but I noticed that the CPU isn't hitting near as many HRs off my pitching as in years past.  I think I may have only given up three or four in eight games.  I've hit a decent amount of HRs as Billy Butler has four through eight games and two or three guys have two each, but the hit distribution is making me really happy.

I'm definitely giving up fewer home runs.  My only complaint is that every once in a while there still seems to be "that inning," where they string together 6-7 hits in a row and score 4-5 runs no matter what I do.

Isn't that actually a little more realistic? I mean, if it happens every game or every other game, then I think not. But if it happens every once every 4-5 games, I think that might be right where it *should* be.... But I may be wrong. I usually am.

Not the way it plays out, honestly.  It just feels scripted.

I guess I could say that about the Show, a little. Last night, fucking Skip Shumaker doubled. Ankiel singled. Pujols homered. I nailed Ludwick right in the head (on purpose). Glaus doubled. Greene singled. Got Molina to GIDP. Kennedy and Carpenter singled. Then Shumaker K'd to end the inning. A bitch of an inning with 5 runs allowed. Stuff like that to me has happened a decent amount of times. Usually, I just cuss at the TV and assume it's "realistic."

If the computer were going to score runs on me, fine.  I'd much rather it be one run on two hits in the second, another run on a HR in the fourth, a couple doubles and a single in the fifth...instead of five runs in the first and then shut them out the remainder of the game while I struggle to even get five hits throughout the course of the game.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: March 17, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 01:31:10 PM
DPD, but I noticed that the CPU isn't hitting near as many HRs off my pitching as in years past.  I think I may have only given up three or four in eight games.  I've hit a decent amount of HRs as Billy Butler has four through eight games and two or three guys have two each, but the hit distribution is making me really happy.

I'm definitely giving up fewer home runs.  My only complaint is that every once in a while there still seems to be "that inning," where they string together 6-7 hits in a row and score 4-5 runs no matter what I do.

Isn't that actually a little more realistic? I mean, if it happens every game or every other game, then I think not. But if it happens every once every 4-5 games, I think that might be right where it *should* be.... But I may be wrong. I usually am.

I guess I could say that about the Show, a little. Last night, fucking Skip Shumaker doubled. Ankiel singled. Pujols homered. I nailed Ludwick right in the head (on purpose). Glaus doubled. Greene singled. Got Molina to GIDP. Kennedy and Carpenter singled. Then Shumaker K'd to end the inning. A bitch of an inning with 5 runs allowed. Stuff like that to me has happened a decent amount of times. Usually, I just cuss at the TV and assume it's "realistic."

If the computer were going to score runs on me, fine.  I'd much rather it be one run on two hits in the second, another run on a HR in the fourth, a couple doubles and a single in the fifth...instead of five runs in the first and then shut them out the remainder of the game while I struggle to even get five hits throughout the course of the game.

Yeah, that's my biggest complaint.  Although it seems to be happening less frequently lately.  Maybe I'm getting better at pitching.  I still can't hit, though.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: March 17, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 01:33:45 PM

Yeah, that's my biggest complaint.  Although it seems to be happening less frequently lately.  Maybe I'm getting better at pitching.  I still can't hit, though.

Kerm, I don't really know your skillset with these baseball games, but I'm not using the batting cursor at all.  I'm using that dark grey circle and the directional hitting and I'm still under 10 hits per game, but getting some very nice results.  Like I said, I don't know if you'll all of a sudden learn how easy the directional hitting is and then get bored, but as of right now I'm still enjoying the challenge with the directional hitting on All-Star difficulty.  It's enough that I have like 3 seconds to lead off my runners, then decide where to place the cursor before I can begin thinking about getting ready to swing.  I can only imagine how difficult the bat cursor is.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: March 17, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »

So other teams shouldn't score runs in bunches when it's against you. Got it.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: March 17, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on March 17, 2009, 01:42:12 PM

No, that's not what I mean.  In 2K, the CPU teams ALWAYS score in bunches; that's been the MO for 2K for a while now and I think Kerm and the rest can back me up.  It's always five or six runs in one inning, then I shut them down for the rest of the game.  EVERY TIME.  It's not one here, two there, one here...it's five in the second and then nothing.  My complaint is about the variety in the manner in which the runs are scored.  I like that the game can score against me.  The challenge is what keeps me wanting to play the game.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: March 17, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 01:45:03 PM

No, that's not what I mean.  In 2K, the CPU teams ALWAYS score in bunches; that's been the MO for 2K for a while now and I think Kerm and the rest can back me up.  It's always five or six runs in one inning, then I shut them down for the rest of the game.  EVERY TIME.  It's not one here, two there, one here...it's five in the second and then nothing.  My complaint is about the variety in the manner in which the runs are scored.  I like that the game can score against me.  The challenge is what keeps me wanting to play the game.

Got it - so it feels like a script. Most of the game the CPU goes down harmlessly save an inning or so. And it's constant. Well that sucks balls. Variety is the spice of life.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: March 17, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 01:39:47 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 01:33:45 PM

Kerm, I don't really know your skillset with these baseball games, but I'm not using the batting cursor at all.  I'm using that dark grey circle and the directional hitting and I'm still under 10 hits per game, but getting some very nice results.  Like I said, I don't know if you'll all of a sudden learn how easy the directional hitting is and then get bored, but as of right now I'm still enjoying the challenge with the directional hitting on All-Star difficulty.  It's enough that I have like 3 seconds to lead off my runners, then decide where to place the cursor before I can begin thinking about getting ready to swing.  I can only imagine how difficult the bat cursor is.

Non-cursor hitting felt a bit too easy.  It seemed really difficult to swing and miss.  It seems like I'm getting very good hit variety with the cursor, so I'll probably stick with it.  I have some advice for myself: get better.
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: March 17, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on March 17, 2009, 01:47:01 PM

Got it - so it feels like a script. Most of the game the CPU goes down harmlessly save an inning or so. And it's constant. Well that sucks balls. Variety is the spice of life.

Exactly.  In past games, it felt like I would only have one big inning at the plate, too.  Like I'd score 0 runs on 3-4 hits for the first 6 innings, then suddenly hit 4 home runs and score 7 in the 7th.  It was just odd.  It feels far less scripted in 2K9.  Now, the CPU will occasionally have an outburst, and I only get about 6 hits a game, so there's no way I can string them together.
Hire Jim Essian!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: March 17, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 01:51:00 PM

Exactly.  In past games, it felt like I would only have one big inning at the plate, too.  Like I'd score 0 runs on 3-4 hits for the first 6 innings, then suddenly hit 4 home runs and score 7 in the 7th.  It was just odd.  It feels far less scripted in 2K9.  Now, the CPU will occasionally have an outburst, and I only get about 6 hits a game, so there's no way I can string them together.

Do you mean sort of like how real baseball games typically play out?

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: March 17, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »

You mean like a person wrote a code to make the game?  Not possible. 

Quote from: Weebs on March 17, 2009, 11:56:33 AM
I haven't tried any other games.  I doubt it's the disc though.  There's no scratches on it or anything.  But if it is, I should still have my receipt to Best Buy.

What is your GPA?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: March 17, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 17, 2009, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 01:51:00 PM

Do you mean sort of like how real baseball games typically play out?

Oleg, is TDubbs bonding you as a subcontractor, or do you provide your own insurance?
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: March 17, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »
Quote from: Jon on March 17, 2009, 01:59:18 PM
Oleg, is TDubbs bonding you as a subcontractor, or do you provide your own insurance?

I can't imagine anything more humiliating than being TDubbs' toadie.
Hire Jim Essian!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: March 17, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 02:13:14 PM

Writing 5,000 posts on a video game?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: March 17, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on March 17, 2009, 02:19:52 PM

Careful. You're got almost as many posts on this thread as anyone.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: March 17, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »
Quote from: Jon on March 17, 2009, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: TDubbs on March 17, 2009, 02:19:52 PM

Careful. You're got almost as many posts on this thread as anyone.

You're hired as my toadie.

TDubbs has much cooler things to do with his time.  Like buy and wear clever shirts like this one:

Hire Jim Essian!