News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,358 )

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 02:28:43 PM
Quote from: Jon on March 17, 2009, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: TDubbs on March 17, 2009, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 02:13:14 PM
Quote from: Jon on March 17, 2009, 01:59:18 PM
Oleg, is TDubbs bonding you as a subcontractor, or do you provide your own insurance?

I can't imagine anything more humiliating than being TDubbs' toadie.

Writing 5,000 posts on a video game?

Careful. You're got almost as many posts on this thread as anyone.

You're hired as my toadie.

TDubbs has much cooler things to do with his time.  Like buy and wear clever shirts like this one:

Even in this economy, there are jobs if you look for them.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 02:28:43 PM
Quote from: Jon on March 17, 2009, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: TDubbs on March 17, 2009, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 02:13:14 PM
Oleg, is TDubbs bonding you as a subcontractor, or do you provide your own insurance?

I can't imagine anything more humiliating than being TDubbs' toadie.

Writing 5,000 posts on a video game?

Careful. You're got almost as many posts on this thread as anyone.

You're hired as my toadie.

TDubbs has much cooler things to do with his time.  Like buy and wear clever shirts like this one:

It was a gift.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2009, 02:51:05 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 17, 2009, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 01:51:00 PM
Quote from: Slakee on March 17, 2009, 01:47:01 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 01:45:03 PM
Quote from: Slakee on March 17, 2009, 01:42:12 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 17, 2009, 12:40:44 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 17, 2009, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 08:56:41 AM
DPD, but I noticed that the CPU isn't hitting near as many HRs off my pitching as in years past.  I think I may have only given up three or four in eight games.  I've hit a decent amount of HRs as Billy Butler has four through eight games and two or three guys have two each, but the hit distribution is making me really happy.

I'm definitely giving up fewer home runs.  My only complaint is that every once in a while there still seems to be "that inning," where they string together 6-7 hits in a row and score 4-5 runs no matter what I do.

Isn't that actually a little more realistic? I mean, if it happens every game or every other game, then I think not. But if it happens every once every 4-5 games, I think that might be right where it *should* be.... But I may be wrong. I usually am.

Not the way it plays out, honestly.  It just feels scripted.

I guess I could say that about the Show, a little. Last night, fucking Skip Shumaker doubled. Ankiel singled. Pujols homered. I nailed Ludwick right in the head (on purpose). Glaus doubled. Greene singled. Got Molina to GIDP. Kennedy and Carpenter singled. Then Shumaker K'd to end the inning. A bitch of an inning with 5 runs allowed. Stuff like that to me has happened a decent amount of times. Usually, I just cuss at the TV and assume it's "realistic."

If the computer were going to score runs on me, fine.  I'd much rather it be one run on two hits in the second, another run on a HR in the fourth, a couple doubles and a single in the fifth...instead of five runs in the first and then shut them out the remainder of the game while I struggle to even get five hits throughout the course of the game.

So other teams shouldn't score runs in bunches when it's against you. Got it.

No, that's not what I mean.  In 2K, the CPU teams ALWAYS score in bunches; that's been the MO for 2K for a while now and I think Kerm and the rest can back me up.  It's always five or six runs in one inning, then I shut them down for the rest of the game.  EVERY TIME.  It's not one here, two there, one here...it's five in the second and then nothing.  My complaint is about the variety in the manner in which the runs are scored.  I like that the game can score against me.  The challenge is what keeps me wanting to play the game.

Got it - so it feels like a script. Most of the game the CPU goes down harmlessly save an inning or so. And it's constant. Well that sucks balls. Variety is the spice of life.

Exactly.  In past games, it felt like I would only have one big inning at the plate, too.  Like I'd score 0 runs on 3-4 hits for the first 6 innings, then suddenly hit 4 home runs and score 7 in the 7th.  It was just odd.  It feels far less scripted in 2K9.  Now, the CPU will occasionally have an outburst, and I only get about 6 hits a game, so there's no way I can string them together.

Do you mean sort of like how real baseball games typically play out?

Sadly, you are now speaking my language.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:27 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 17, 2009, 02:51:05 PM
Quote from: Oleg on March 17, 2009, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 01:51:00 PM
Quote from: Slakee on March 17, 2009, 01:47:01 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 01:45:03 PM
Quote from: Slakee on March 17, 2009, 01:42:12 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 17, 2009, 12:40:44 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 17, 2009, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 17, 2009, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 17, 2009, 08:56:41 AM
DPD, but I noticed that the CPU isn't hitting near as many HRs off my pitching as in years past.  I think I may have only given up three or four in eight games.  I've hit a decent amount of HRs as Billy Butler has four through eight games and two or three guys have two each, but the hit distribution is making me really happy.

I'm definitely giving up fewer home runs.  My only complaint is that every once in a while there still seems to be "that inning," where they string together 6-7 hits in a row and score 4-5 runs no matter what I do.

Isn't that actually a little more realistic? I mean, if it happens every game or every other game, then I think not. But if it happens every once every 4-5 games, I think that might be right where it *should* be.... But I may be wrong. I usually am.

Not the way it plays out, honestly.  It just feels scripted.

I guess I could say that about the Show, a little. Last night, fucking Skip Shumaker doubled. Ankiel singled. Pujols homered. I nailed Ludwick right in the head (on purpose). Glaus doubled. Greene singled. Got Molina to GIDP. Kennedy and Carpenter singled. Then Shumaker K'd to end the inning. A bitch of an inning with 5 runs allowed. Stuff like that to me has happened a decent amount of times. Usually, I just cuss at the TV and assume it's "realistic."

If the computer were going to score runs on me, fine.  I'd much rather it be one run on two hits in the second, another run on a HR in the fourth, a couple doubles and a single in the fifth...instead of five runs in the first and then shut them out the remainder of the game while I struggle to even get five hits throughout the course of the game.

So other teams shouldn't score runs in bunches when it's against you. Got it.

No, that's not what I mean.  In 2K, the CPU teams ALWAYS score in bunches; that's been the MO for 2K for a while now and I think Kerm and the rest can back me up.  It's always five or six runs in one inning, then I shut them down for the rest of the game.  EVERY TIME.  It's not one here, two there, one here...it's five in the second and then nothing.  My complaint is about the variety in the manner in which the runs are scored.  I like that the game can score against me.  The challenge is what keeps me wanting to play the game.

Got it - so it feels like a script. Most of the game the CPU goes down harmlessly save an inning or so. And it's constant. Well that sucks balls. Variety is the spice of life.

Exactly.  In past games, it felt like I would only have one big inning at the plate, too.  Like I'd score 0 runs on 3-4 hits for the first 6 innings, then suddenly hit 4 home runs and score 7 in the 7th.  It was just odd.  It feels far less scripted in 2K9.  Now, the CPU will occasionally have an outburst, and I only get about 6 hits a game, so there's no way I can string them together.

Do you mean sort of like how real baseball games typically play out?

Sadly, you are now speaking my language.

And the prophecy that we would end up in Mom's Basement comes pathetically true.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
Losers.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2009, 06:03:38 PM »
So, in light of the shitty last week I had in Chicago (my father had a pretty severe stroke) and my desire to pick up my spirits, I decided to pony up the 60 bucks or so to pick up 2k9 for the PS3.  First and foremost, I can say that the sturm and drang that I've read over the game on the interwebs seems particularly overblown.  My major concerns thus far are the occasional first baseman steps off the bag glitch, the outfielder misses the ball terribly even though he's right under it glitch, and the "big inning" problem that BK has mentioned.  I hope these are eventually corrected, which, as I have read, will be soon.

However, the game is still nevertheless enjoyable, with some pretty impressive graphics to boot.  To wit, last night I was playing as the Boston Red Sox against my friend who was playing as the Angels.  We took a 2 - 2 tie (all four runs scored within the first two innings) into the bottom of the eleventh.  Beckett for me had about 11 or 12 K's, which Lackey (who was injured in the fourth) and Santana had about 10 K's.  We both had major opportunities to blow the game wide open.  My friend had first and third, one out in the top of the eight.  I ended the threat when Figgins popped a bunt to the first basemen who then caught the runner at first sleeping for the DP.  In the bottom of the ninth, I had bases loaded and one out for Big Papi who struck out, followed by Youk who flied out deep to right.  The game ended in a victory for me with a Jason Bay walk off in the 11th, which was his only hit for the day.

That said, I've had the most enjoyment with this game with the difficulty at Legend. 

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
Tim Lincecum's younger brother (I made that part up) encountered this on the game.  Starts out innocently enough, but the escalator routine had me reeling:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3cGmtm81g

You got my support Gil, my best goes to you and yours.
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: March 17, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Gil...best wishes.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: March 17, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 17, 2009, 06:41:48 PM

Thank you both.  I sincerely appreciate it.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 17, 2009, 06:50:18 PM

Holy crap, sorry to hear about this Gil.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 17, 2009, 06:03:38 PM
So, in light of the shitty last week I had in Chicago (my father had a pretty severe stroke) and my desire to pick up my spirits, I decided to pony up the 60 bucks or so to pick up 2k9 for the PS3.  First and foremost, I can say that the sturm and drang that I've read over the game on the interwebs seems particularly overblown.  My major concerns thus far are the occasional first baseman steps off the bag glitch, the outfielder misses the ball terribly even though he's right under it glitch, and the "big inning" problem that BK has mentioned.  I hope these are eventually corrected, which, as I have read, will be soon.

However, the game is still nevertheless enjoyable, with some pretty impressive graphics to boot.  To wit, last night I was playing as the Boston Red Sox against my friend who was playing as the Angels.  We took a 2 - 2 tie (all four runs scored within the first two innings) into the bottom of the eleventh.  Beckett for me had about 11 or 12 K's, which Lackey (who was injured in the fourth) and Santana had about 10 K's.  We both had major opportunities to blow the game wide open.  My friend had first and third, one out in the top of the eight.  I ended the threat when Figgins popped a bunt to the first basemen who then caught the runner at first sleeping for the DP.  In the bottom of the ninth, I had bases loaded and one out for Big Papi who struck out, followed by Youk who flied out deep to right.  The game ended in a victory for me with a Jason Bay walk off in the 11th, which was his only hit for the day.

That said, I've had the most enjoyment with this game with the difficulty at Legend. 

I, too, am sorry to hear that.

Why 2k9? and not The Show? I think the consensus has been that The Show was probably a better investment.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: March 17, 2009, 08:23:27 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 17, 2009, 08:08:20 PM

Why 2k9? and not The Show? I think the consensus has been that The Show was probably a better investment.

You know, I really don't know.  I was at the Best Buy on Roosevelt last week after I left Northwestern Hospital, saw it, and didn't think twice about getting it.   So, in summation, basically accidental.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: March 17, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 17, 2009, 07:42:37 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 17, 2009, 06:50:18 PM

Holy crap, sorry to hear about this Gil.

Same here. That's awful.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: March 18, 2009, 12:05:39 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 17, 2009, 08:23:27 PM

You know, I really don't know.  I was at the Best Buy on Roosevelt last week after I left Northwestern Hospital, saw it, and didn't think twice about getting it.   So, in summation, basically accidental.

Hope he's recovering. Hang in there Gil.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: March 18, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 17, 2009, 08:23:27 PM

Ok. Fair enough. I was just curious.

I hope for a full recovery for your dad, and I hope that you and your family are doing well.