News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,373 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #555 on: March 31, 2009, 12:53:18 AM »
Patch #2 was apparently submitted several days ago, and should be released by Opening Day if everything goes okay with MS's approval process.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #556 on: March 31, 2009, 08:57:13 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 31, 2009, 12:53:18 AM
Patch #2 was apparently submitted several days ago, and should be released by Opening Day if everything goes okay with MS's approval process.

That's great news.  I hope they were paying close attention to their message board thread about the patch.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #557 on: March 31, 2009, 10:15:38 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 31, 2009, 08:57:13 AM

That's great news.  I hope they were paying close attention to their message board thread about the patch.

They released some of the "big" details of the patch that seemed great, and one of the guys on O.S. said that the list was nowhere near complete.  I'm pretty hopeful that a lot of the issues are going to be fixed, which will take this game from "solid" to "extremely good," in my opinion.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #558 on: March 31, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 31, 2009, 10:15:38 AM

They released some of the "big" details of the patch that seemed great, and one of the guys on O.S. said that the list was nowhere near complete.  I'm pretty hopeful that a lot of the issues are going to be fixed, which will take this game from "solid" to "extremely good," in my opinion.

I agree.  I was really hard on 2K at release.  After playing the game for a while I realized that there are a lot of things done oh so very right in 2K9.  After playing NBA 2K9, I'm hoping that Visual Concepts has the same aspirations for the MLB franchise as they've reached for their NBA one.  This patch will hopefully take the game to the next level.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #559 on: March 31, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 31, 2009, 10:21:10 AM

I agree.  I was really hard on 2K at release.  After playing the game for a while I realized that there are a lot of things done oh so very right in 2K9.  After playing NBA 2K9, I'm hoping that Visual Concepts has the same aspirations for the MLB franchise as they've reached for their NBA one.  This patch will hopefully take the game to the next level.

After losing 10 games in a row on All-Star, I bumped the difficulty down to Pro with Cursor Batting and Release Timing turned on.  I was worried it was going to make the game too easy, as I won 3-4 games in a row and was able to pin down the CPU hitters pretty easily.  Then, I got crushed by the Cardinals 12-5 last night.  I'm thinking we're going to get pretty realistic stats and results (except for walks).  I've definitely enjoyed this one far more than 2K8 already, so I'm really excited to see what happens after the patch.

It's a shame 2K couldn't get it polished in time for the release date.  I bet a lot of people have already played this and completely given up on it.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #560 on: March 31, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 31, 2009, 10:27:20 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 31, 2009, 10:21:10 AM

After losing 10 games in a row on All-Star, I bumped the difficulty down to Pro with Cursor Batting and Release Timing turned on.  I was worried it was going to make the game too easy, as I won 3-4 games in a row and was able to pin down the CPU hitters pretty easily.  Then, I got crushed by the Cardinals 12-5 last night.  I'm thinking we're going to get pretty realistic stats and results (except for walks).  I've definitely enjoyed this one far more than 2K8 already, so I'm really excited to see what happens after the patch.

It's a shame 2K couldn't get it polished in time for the release date.  I bet a lot of people have already played this and completely given up on it.

I almost gave up on it but realized that it was my only option short of shelling out $450 for a PS3 and The Show.  But, back to pitching.  I totally forgot about the release timing mechanic.  I've had it off this whole time.  Thanks for reminding me.  And, I've tried the hitting cursor in practice mode only once or twice.  I decided really quickly that I didn't like it, but I may have to revisit it.  Even with it turned off, I'm getting decent hit distribution, but my stud hitter Billy Butler already has 5 or 6 HRs through 10 games.  Everyone else is at 2 to 4, and that's just Alex Gordon, Mark Teahan and Josh Willingham.

As for walks, I think my leader has about 4 or 5 through 10 games.  That's more than I'd get in a season.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #561 on: March 31, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »
Out of curiosity, what camera settings are you guys using?  In particular, I'm wondering about the batting camera.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #562 on: March 31, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 31, 2009, 03:22:21 PM
Out of curiosity, what camera settings are you guys using?  In particular, I'm wondering about the batting camera.

I don't change the batting camera at all.  I like it how it is on default.  A quick tip on taking pitches for walks:  most balls that look like strikes at the knees are called balls when you're hitting.  Conversely, the ump likes to call fastballs just outside the zone, low, strikes and AI hitters usually get crossed up by them.

For pitching, I use 4-6-6.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #563 on: March 31, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 31, 2009, 03:29:42 PM

I don't change the batting camera at all.  I like it how it is on default.  A quick tip on taking pitches for walks:  most balls that look like strikes at the knees are called balls when you're hitting.  Conversely, the ump likes to call fastballs just outside the zone, low, strikes and AI hitters usually get crossed up by them.

I think I was 7 in zoom and 4 in height in batting, and I'm almost the same as you, using 3-6-6 for pitching.  I think it gives a broadcast feel to the game.  I saw some guys at O.S. were swearing by zooming the batting camera to 1, and dropping the height to about 3.  Apparently, it makes the breaking balls look like they move more, and makes it easier to tell balls from strikes.

Good tip on the low pitches.  I have a REALLY hard time laying off the pitch at the knees, which is part of the reason why I dropped the camera a click.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #564 on: March 31, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 31, 2009, 03:54:26 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 31, 2009, 03:29:42 PM

I think I was 7 in zoom and 4 in height in batting, and I'm almost the same as you, using 3-6-6 for pitching.  I think it gives a broadcast feel to the game.  I saw some guys at O.S. were swearing by zooming the batting camera to 1, and dropping the height to about 3.  Apparently, it makes the breaking balls look like they move more, and makes it easier to tell balls from strikes.

Good tip on the low pitches.  I have a REALLY hard time laying off the pitch at the knees, which is part of the reason why I dropped the camera a click.

I started noticing that the umps were calling some really good-looking low fastballs as balls when I was hitting.  So, I tested it and sure enough wound up getting about 4 or 5 walks in that game.  It's held true thus far, except that as the quality of the pitcher increases, they tend to throw more junk for strikes causing me to swing more.  If you think about it, that's pretty damn good results.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #565 on: April 02, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »
DPD, but last evening I turned on the Release Timing for pitching.  I didn't have a whole lot of time with the game (only 4 innings) so I didn't really read any tutorials or refresh myself that much on how to correctly use this feature.  Are you supposed to try to get the green circle as small as possible inside the yellow circle with Release Timing on?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #566 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:57 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 02, 2009, 08:41:35 AM
DPD, but last evening I turned on the Release Timing for pitching.  I didn't have a whole lot of time with the game (only 4 innings) so I didn't really read any tutorials or refresh myself that much on how to correctly use this feature.  Are you supposed to try to get the green circle as small as possible inside the yellow circle with Release Timing on?

I don't know if it's supposed to be as small as possible, but you're definitely supposed to get it in that window.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #567 on: April 02, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on April 02, 2009, 10:05:57 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 02, 2009, 08:41:35 AM

I don't know if it's supposed to be as small as possible, but you're definitely supposed to get it in that window.

My theory is that if I get the green circle as small as possible in the bigger circle, that increases the accuracy of the pitch location.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #568 on: April 03, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
DPD.  Patch #2 will be available for 360 users tomorrow morning (approximately 2:00 AM):  http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213061

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #569 on: April 03, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 03, 2009, 03:21:14 PM
DPD.  Patch #2 will be available for 360 users tomorrow morning (approximately 2:00 AM):  http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213061

Shit, yeah.  Thanks, IAN!
Hire Jim Essian!